advertisement

how big is your woofer, how big is your box, what's your sensitivity

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
15 inches, about 300 litres, 99 db/watt/metre

Joe

2inches, about 1.5litres, barely 78 dB/watt/metre

bandor4.jpg

Oooh, a contest I may be able to win! I'll enter System #2: 15" driver in folded horn, 104db efficiency and augmented with two 12" 400 watt infinite baffle active subs.

I have a reason for asking.

I read elsewhere on the interwebs -- doesn't matter where -- that high-efficiency speakers aren't suitable for hi-fi use. PA applications maybe, but not for hi-fi.

News to me, but I'm a bit thick and I don't get out much.

Joe

I read elsewhere on the interwebs -- doesn't matter where -- that high-efficiency speakers aren't suitable for hi-fi use. PA applications maybe, but not for hi-fi.

I recognise that line of idiotic self-serving marketing FUD! Luckily it only works on remarkably unsophisticated customers.

I have a reason for asking.

News to me, but I'm a bit thick and I don't get out much.

Joe

I have two that are 94 and 101 db and designed for use in recording studios and not intended for PA application AFAIK. Maybe those folks are just jealous.:rolleyes:

Joe,

Consider most anything you read on Internet forums regarding hifi a joke and you'll be just fine.

regards,

dave

Dave,

Yeah, I take it all with some NaCl, but I'm curious if high efficiency comes at a price beyond economics, size and WAF.

If money and domestic considerations weren't factors -- overriding ones most of the time -- would every audiophile have beeeeeeg woofers in a beeeeeeg box, apart from those that run electrostatics?

sm1.gif

Those are 18-inchers, if you need some calibration to appreciate the size of big studio monitors. Studios -- that place devoid of audiophile nonsense as I'm led to believe.

Joe

The best speaker I've ever heard.

I miss my 15"'s - you are making me jealous !

Julf,

"You can have bass extension, efficiency or a small enclosure - but you can only have two out of those three".
That's the thing. If I'm willing to have a big box -- and I realize that 300 litres is considered small among high-efficiency full-range speakers -- does high efficiency come at the price of high fidelity?

Joe

Dave,

Yeah, I take it all with some NaCl, but I'm curious if high efficiency comes at a price beyond economics, size and WAF.

If money and domestic considerations weren't factors -- overriding ones most of the time -- would every audiophile have beeeeeeg woofers in a beeeeeeg box, apart from those that run electrostatics?

sm1.gif

Those are 18-inchers, if you need some calibration to appreciate the size of big studio monitors. Studios -- that place devoid of audiophile nonsense as I'm led to believe.

Joe

LOL..they are a thing of beauty. I must admit to get a wall of sound you need a "wall" that produces sound;-)

A few big ones here Focal Audiom V15,Eminence Deltalite 2515,most efficient a pair of Altec 803B which are very slightly bigger than 15 inch.

advertisement

Back