advertisement

Housing market

not many have restaurants but the new retirement villages have shops , hairdressers and restaurants

Yes there is a really good one near us like that. I put a deposit on one of the first with a nice ground floor two bed with patio. Didn't work in the end because my wife was assessed to require too much care for them to take us on. She's in a complex needs home now. But this discussion makes me think as I live in a very rural location.

Yes it's nice living in rural area but it has its downsides ! I am hoping to put in an offer on similar property to one you describe

Yes, it does. Problem is, where does the council funding come from?
Housing benefit/Council Tax benefit, which is council housing's evil twin (housing benefit is current spending that effectively supports high rents, where what is needed is long-term investment in social assets to reduce rents), looks set to cost us an eye-watering £30bn pa. It has almost tripled since 2000. There is no shortage of money just governmental short-sightedness.

The government could borrow at low rates to build, or it/councils could issue bonds to savers, or it could use QE/Overt Monetary Financing. The long-term deflationary effects of having housing stock built to near-passivhaus standards are obvious: no need to import as much gas/oil; no need for as many new power plants; the money put into the economy would create housing stock whose rents would not need to rise at the same rate as property prices, etc. Start now - create designs for eco-housing that can be built with predominately British materials (a series of supply chains that may need to be built), and train a British labour pool to tackle the job - and then build at a sustainable rate over the next twenty years or more.

Anything we can actually do, we can afford, as Keynes said.

The danger with it is that future governments will regard it as a cash cow, to sell off again.

Standards for new council and HA housing are already much higher than the private sector, I was told by someone in the industry. I think raising standards across the board would be of benefit. E.g. I read recently the EU will require new houses to have solar panels, sounds good.

Housing benefit/Council Tax benefit, which is council housing's evil twin (housing benefit is current spending that effectively supports high rents, where what is needed is long-term investment in social assets to reduce rents), looks set to cost us an eye-watering £30bn pa. It has almost tripled since 2000. There is no shortage of money just governmental short-sightedness.

The government could borrow at low rates to build, or it/councils could issue bonds to savers, or it could use QE/Overt Monetary Financing. The long-term deflationary effects of having housing stock built to near-passivhaus standards are obvious: no need to import as much gas/oil; no need for as many new power plants; the money put into the economy would create housing stock whose rents would not need to rise at the same rate as property prices, etc. Start now - create designs for eco-housing that can be built with predominately British materials (a series of supply chains that may need to be built), and train a British labour pool to tackle the job - and then build at a sustainable rate over the next twenty years or more.

our council which is big has spent over a billion on pay claims affecting repairs and building i guess

The danger with it is that future governments will regard it as a cash cow, to sell off again.

Standards for new council and HA housing are already much higher than the private sector, I was told by someone in the industry. I think raising standards across the board would be of benefit. E.g. I read recently the EU will require new houses to have solar panels, sounds good.
Then ensure that the buildings remain in an asset-locked legal body, similar to a Community Interest Company, but with the legal parameters drawn up with council houses in mind.

Depends if you’re a fan of Keynes but yes, it’s a total mess. HB underpins house prices and rents in many areas and makes it more difficult for those not on HB to rent or buy their own property. We do need to build, but what and where? I see huge new housing estates popping up miles from anywhere, making people totally reliant on cars and busses. Not the answer, surely. Maybe high rises in cities which could be low cost to run? As to who pays, tax payers ultimately pay one way or another, whether directly through taxation or through inflation from currency printing and resulting devaluation. Currently, we’re being shafted both ways!

our council which is big has spent over a billion on pay claims affecting repairs and building i guess
Maintenance costs are often quoted as being 1% of property value per year. Could easily be more than that for tenants with no interest in the property. Even so, those numbers suggest that well-maintained properties should be achievable.

If that's not enough, then reduce input costs: look at giving councils powers to buy non-residential land at a small premium (say 20%, so as not to disadvantage previous landowner) and allow the council to reclassify it as residential according to their local plan, or something. One way or another, ensure that councils do not have to pay a planning premium on acquisition of greenfield/brownfield land.

I'm just firing off ideas, here, not guaranteeing their practicability, but even so, I hope that I am making the case that if the political will exists, it is possible to restructure away from a massive Housing Benefit/Council Tax benefit bill towards an asset-rich economy of abundant council/social/community housing.

And then with a well trained workforce we can go on to renovate more and more buildings to close to passive house standard (start with the easier buildings and learn how to do the more challenging over time) so that most of the UK housing stock can be lived in with very little money spent annually on heating the building.

And then with a well trained workforce we can go on to renovate more and more buildings to close to passive house standard (start with the easier buildings and learn how to do the more challenging over time) so that most of the UK housing stock can be lived in with very little money spent annually on heating the building.
Exactly right. We have a cost of living crisis: reducing energy bills is an obvious place to start.

The housing market is showing signs of cooling, Halifax has said, as households face a squeeze on their finances.

The mortgage lender said that while house prices continued to climb in May, with prices up 10.5% in 12 months, this was slowest rate of growth since the start of the year.

The rise meant the average price of a house hit another record of £289,099.

Halifax said that house prices have now climbed for eleven consecutive months.

"Despite the very real cost of living pressures some people are experiencing, the imbalance between supply and demand for properties remains the primary reason driving the continued climb in house prices," said Russell Galley, managing director at Halifax.

"However, the housing market has begun to show signs of cooling. Mortgage activity has started to come down and, coupled with the inflationary pressures currently exerted on household budgets, it's likely activity will start to slow," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61729890

The housing market is showing signs of cooling, Halifax has said, as households face a squeeze on their finances.

The mortgage lender said that while house prices continued to climb in May, with prices up 10.5% in 12 months, this was slowest rate of growth since the start of the year.

The rise meant the average price of a house hit another record of £289,099.

Halifax said that house prices have now climbed for eleven consecutive months.

"Despite the very real cost of living pressures some people are experiencing, the imbalance between supply and demand for properties remains the primary reason driving the continued climb in house prices," said Russell Galley, managing director at Halifax.

"However, the housing market has begun to show signs of cooling. Mortgage activity has started to come down and, coupled with the inflationary pressures currently exerted on household budgets, it's likely activity will start to slow," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61729890

Got to love it. Prices continue to climb but at a slower rate. It’s as if they should continually rise (quickly) and are a one way bet! Reminds me of the govt saying they are reducing the deficit. No, you’re still borrowing money to pay the bills and the debt is still increasing but at a slightly slower rate than before!

Maintenance costs are often quoted as being 1% of property value per year. Could easily be more than that for tenants with no interest in the property. Even so, those numbers suggest that well-maintained properties should be achievable.
1% seems very heavy where residents don't abuse the property. I've lived in my place for 7 years, with one big bill for a boiler. Even that was under £3k. Now I know that there will be a few astronomical bills waiting, such as if a roof gives up, but even that isn't going to be much spread over a (say) 50 year lifespan. Likewise a £3k boiler, it has a 10 year guarantee, so any accountant is going to depreciate that at 10% pa and then give it zero asset value. £300 pa. Kitchens, bathrooms, similar. Maybe a 15 year life on them. You might get to £1000 a year on a (UK average?)£200k house. That's 0.5%. I suppose that older housing stock might need 1%. Where it gets difficult is the number of people who abuse housing. I had a mate who worked in Leeds Council's housing dept, the stories he told made your toes curl. There are some people out there who basically can't handle life. A great many of them end up in social housing. He said they had a number of families who just surfed from one house to the next every 3 months because they would turn everything into an utter pigsty. The coping strategy was to find a house that was due a refurb. It was all but knackered, the family in question would move in and destroy it. Within 3-6 months the place would be full of rubbish, rotting food, dead pets, nappies, faeces, doors torn off for firewood, copper pipes and cabling stolen, you name it. They would then get the clearance gang in, shovel it all into a skip and refurbish the place with new wiring, plumbing, kitchen, etc. The family would be moved to the next place, round we go again. People like that are not getting housed by private landlords. At least not twice, so where do they go?

One house i did 5 years ago had piles of rotting nappies in garden !! Horrible , and wobbly banisters where we think the partner had thrown his lady downstairs .

Took a lot of money and time to restore it !!

There are some people out there who basically can't handle life. A great many of them end up in social housing.

Our first flat in Camden was an ex-local authority Right To Buy job. The building at that time had a problem with junkies and small time dealers. Two of the ground floor flats used by them were basically derelict. The nice old lady that lived opposite us moved because she became so scared of them screaming and banging at all hours. We moved out when they left the body of someone who'd overdosed under a bush in the street.

Our first flat in Camden was an ex-local authority Right To Buy job. The building at that time had a problem with junkies and small time dealers. Two of the ground floor flats used by them were basically derelict. The nice old lady that lived opposite us moved because she became so scared of them screaming and banging at all hours. We moved out when they left the body of someone who'd overdosed under a bush in the street.
Jesus. And you choose to live in London, and pay a fortune for the privilege? Good luck.

Jesus. And you choose to live in London, and pay a fortune for the privilege? Good luck.

Well, I’m sure there are similar areas up and down this country. Ok, they’re mostly a lot cheaper to exist in, but friends, family, work… they all cause many people to stay where they are.

Well, I’m sure there are similar areas up and down this country. Ok, they’re mostly a lot cheaper to exist in, but friends, family, work… they all cause many people to stay where they are.
Of course. I lived in a tough bit of Leeds for 5 years because I had little choice. Even so, "tough" didn't involve junkies for neighbours and walking past a body on the way to work. I didn't have to pay a fortune for the privilege either. In addition, when funds permitted, I moved out to a pleasant suburb. Nobody short of an oil sheik can do that in London. They're welcome to it.

advertisement

Back