advertisement

homeless at christmas

Originally Posted by Mick P
If you must know I actually believe that homelessness is a social crime. Once someone is at that stage for whatever reason, they cannot get a job and are alienated from society. Without a job and without a home they just cease to function.

This is one of the rare instances where I think money should be pumped into hostels where these people can get an address for a few months and start rebuilding their lives. In return I work expect them to help maintain and work in the hostel but leaving anyone outside to sleep in a box is inhumane.

If they can rebuild their lives and contribute to the economy, we all win.
If it were this simple then it would be easy. You are absolutely right that we should address homelessness, the difficulty is that a lot of people on the streets are unfit to put in a normal hostel for reasons of mental illness, drug addiction or other factors that make their behaviour intolerable.

If it were this simple then it would be easy. You are absolutely right that we should address homelessness, the difficulty is that a lot of people on the streets are unfit to put in a normal hostel for reasons of mental illness, drug addiction or other factors that make their behaviour intolerable.

Is this a thinly disguised they choose to homeless arguement :confused:

No we know of families where the homeless cannot stand to be inside and have to sleep outside .one sleeps in a tent in Worcester

Back of the net!

And there are plenty more. Footballers are not alway selfish bar stewards.

Cristiano Ronaldo 'donates £5 million to Nepal earthquake charity fund'

David Beckham has joined Paris St Germain on a five-month contract and will have his salary paid to a children's charity.

John Kennedy of Celtic give his testimonial match income to Africa Famine Relief.

The one who really shocked me was Craig Bellamy. A thoroughly decent bloke, which is really not his media persona.

But credit where credit's due, to Neville and Giggs, even if they are reds! And despite what certain leading figures have said recently, the homeless people interviewed on TV earlier all had Manchester accents.

Being a bit naughty the cynic in me thinks they will be booted out anyway in February. "February made me shiver"

Its better than a kick in the teeth but its only a temporary solution at best.

It seems all good publicity for footballers and a proposed hotel. The real issue of homelessness drags on

Please post your own efforts to improve the situation, either permanent or temporary.

Bit harsh. I have helped the homeless in centres and for christmas meals. I dont actually have a spare hotel building Im renovating.

I did state I was being cynical to make a point. The footballers realised the building was occupied and have acted with some leniency. Lets be deadly honest that "rich footballer evicts homeless people in winter" makes terrible publicity

What do you want me to say...of course I have earmarked 3 million of my own money to build flats and homes with affordable rent

You understand my point. Two months squatting is not the answer to homelessness in Manchester. What have you done if you are going to get uppity about it?

Please post your own efforts to improve the situation, either permanent or temporary.

Some people just refuse to see any good in anything because of their belief that the world is a stinking place and the rest of the population are too stupid to understand how rotten it all is.

Still the point has been made, some extra people have a roof over their heads for Christmas but February is still bloody cold.

People are all to quick to judge and often base their opinions on what they read. This won't be helped by tabloids and local newspapers having headlines like 'beggars earn £150.00 a day' So this poses the question, how does someone walking down the high street actually tell the difference between someone that is genuinely homeless to someone that it is out there just begging for money?

yes there was a fascinating programme on Lincoln recently showing how the professional beggars try to choose spots where no cctv as the police are after them
very hard to tell but one of the guys went back to his rather nice house with good earnings off well meaning folks

People are all to quick to judge and often base their opinions on what they read. This won't be helped by tabloids and local newspapers having headlines like 'beggars earn £150.00 a day' So this poses the question, how does someone walking down the high street actually tell the difference between someone that is genuinely homeless to someone that it is out there just begging for money?
You can't. But why worry about it? A large majority of the people you see will be in genuine need so, by giving money (or food), you are helping those less fortunate than you are. Occasionally you will be "conned" by someone less scrupulous - is that really so bad? The only real downside is that the help you gave could have gone to someone in genuine need. If that's a concern, simply donate through one of the recognised homeless charities.

For what it's worth, I apply the same logic to the benefits system. So what if there are a small minority who are milking it? That's just the price we pay for being a civilised society that helps people when they fall on hard times.

You can't. But why worry about it? A large majority of the people you see will be in genuine need so, by giving money (or food), you are helping those less fortunate than you are. Occasionally you will be "conned" by someone less scrupulous - is that really so bad? The only realdownside is that the help you gave could have gone to someone in genuine need. If that's a concern, simply donate through one of the recognised homeless charities.

Well, quite. It's easy enough to come up with reasons to avoid giving out money ('they don't really need it', 'they'll only spend it on drugs' etc etc). I just tend to think what it'd be like to be in that position, and put my hand in my pocket.

The only time I've been conned was when someone dressed in a smart suit told me a sob story about having had his wallet stolen at the railway station and just needing a tenner for a train ticket home. He took my name and address down and promised to send the money in the next day or so. I never heard from him.

advertisement

Back