advertisement

Home made subchasis & other mods for LP12

Damn, seeing this thread has made me wish I'd chosen a more common deck to mod to the hilt. I could've offered kits too.

Instead I chose an Ariston RD80 which is undergoing major surgery at the mo. I'd like to 'race' mine against yours when it's finished, but you're miles and miles away.

It's quite eye opening when you look at the low cost a lot of these suspended sub chassis decks are built down to in comparison to the prices they sell for. As a kit of parts, the LP12 wouldn't cost Linn more than dare I say £150 for the base model. The investment in tooling would've long since paid for itself, Same goes for many of the other old 'super decks' with these awful pressed/punched subchassis and flimsy mild steel top plates. There's an awful lot of room for improvement and tweaking for the DIYer, much more so than decks like a Gyro or Spacedeck etc. which are both already pretty well sorted materially at least.

Good going Alfi, your design looks very tidy and I can imagine the difference it'll be making to many an LP12 soon.

Dear fellow Audio enthusiasts.

This project is getting nearer to kicking off as each day passes. I have five almost definitely interested PFM'ers and one possible.

Let's see if I've got this right:

Herat.
Torsoi.
Stevenkelby.
Chesi61
Jo sharpe
Trancera?

Only four more required to make it a goer!!

I should have firm costs by Friday with a view to kicking it all off before the end of February.

If I may be so presumptuous? All I ask is that you post your findings of said modification after you have each had the chance to listen critically to your purchase, wether your findings be positive or negative.

I'm aiming to offer a service along the lines that our well loved Les at Avondale Audio provides, but for the LP12: never in competition with that fine gentleman, only as a complementary service for the more mechanical source components.

Hoping this meets with your blessing Les?

Tony L and Robert. I sincerely hope I'm not out of order offering these mods on PFM?

Alf

I sincerely hope I'm not out of order offering these mods on PFM?

Not my call, but at that price I would think you are definitely NOT out of order.

Fantastic looking kit BTW.

Mr Tibbs

Thanks for the consideration Alf but your prowess speaks for itself. I can do no better than to wish you every success and good fortune with the project.

Regards, Les

Thank you Mr Tibbs!

Coming from as revered a PFM'er such yourself Mr.Tibbs I really do take that as a honourable compliment.

Therefore, I think perhaps it may be time to consider a suitable name for this endeavour; one that will capture the essence of pink fish media and also that will strike a chord with the Linn LP12 fraternity on here.

May I cast this into the ring as a starter: only to be used of course if it's successfull from an audio perspective!

How about the "Flatfish" or "Sole(soul?)chassis" ? Born of PFM

alf.

Thanks for the consideration Alf but your prowess speaks for itself. I can do no better than to wish you every success and good fortune with the project.

Regards, Les

Cheers Les ! You can't begin to know how much that means to me, thank you very much.

One day I'll actually make it up to Avondale towers for that cup of tea and a chat that we've promised ourselves for such a long time.

Best regards
alf

Cant think of much else. Perhaps just 'Sole', very Linn like, its type of flatfish you know.

You're no one without a Naim
Your LP12 will Keel over without its Sole

yuck :)

Alfi, you probably are aware but I would suggest the shaping of the sub chassis would lend itself to water or lazer cutting. We have waterjet cutting at work and have had a few stuff for personal use from it. I just send my cad designs to it accross the network and my collegue obliges. The machine can cut upto 100mm thick steel so the thickness of a chassis is easy meat. You could bond a square up which will be easier to align then waterjet to finish. Hope this is of interest, great work.
Regards
Dave

Evening all !

Regarding a suitable name I really like Flatfish. But Trancera just blew me away with Sole.

" Your LP12 will Keel over without its Sole" - fantastic! Any comments?

As for potential orders, Lets see if I have this right:

1.Herat.
2.Torstoi
3.Tim H (sorry Tim, missed you out earlier):eek:.
4.steven kelby
5.Chesi 61
6.Jo sharp.
7.Trancera? (are you going for it Trancera?).

So only 3 more needed for me to press the button. Any more interested?

As this project means a fair degree of financial investment to have the components made etc and I've already invested a lot of time in the design, (mine is a prototype, I promise the production version will be better), then checking and re- checking drawings before sending out for tender, then chasing quotations etc with more time to be spent on manufacture & assembly plus quality checking prior to shipping etc.

Therefore, I have to charge a deposit -30% of final value to cover orders on my suppliers. Regretfully this will be non refundable because I don't wish to end up saddled with significant costs for parts I can't shift if anyone was to pull out. I'm doing my damndest to get the total cost finalised by Friday.

If I get ten firm pre-orders by the end of the week and the deposits to go with those orders when I release the final cost, I will push the go button!

Those who you who will have invested should be installing a "Flatfish" or "Sole" within a few weeks and enjoying a signifcant upgade.

We can make this happen.. 10 is the magic figure.

alf

Yes alf im in, as discussed in PM though I have reservations about changing anything on my original so would prefer not to send my armboard, and might go Rega anyway. I'll pm you my email / phone etc to discuss rather than create noise here.

advertisement

Back