advertisement

High end speaker cables from Ali Express

I wouldn't trust any cable that claimed to be made with OCC copper on Ali Express actually was. The Italian guy that has the ANADialog YouTube channel sent some AE cable to an independent lab to be tested and they found that they were made of bog standard OF copper and not OCC as advertised. Ali Express is rife with fraudsters.
But UK and US wire companies also propagate demonstrably inaccurate information too.
Also, the less said about Peter Belt.. the better.

A few years ago, I was looking at some Chinese interconnects. Went on an American site where there was a lively discussion on the merits of various Chinese cables. One guy was vociferous in his support of said cables. I struck up a PM conversation with him. He said that very many of the cables available were not fakes but genuine cables for well-known (usually US manufacturers). He said that he was visiting a manufacturer in China and was asking about "fake" cable. The guy threw open wall cupboard doors to reveal around 40/50 different cable examples . He claimed that he was producing and could produce any of those cables with the exact same cable and casings as the vastly more expensive versions. He would produce them in any design or colour combinations desired at around one twentieth of the cost of the boutique versions, saying that he was making these "copies" , often, on the same machines and at exactly the same time as the $$$$ cables. The American said (on the forum) that anyone should go ahead and purchase these "fakes" as there was a 70-80% chance that the cables were genuinely the same as the boutique cables being made, and even if ye did not get the same batch as the boutique gear, you were still getting very high quality cables at amazing prices.

IMG-1071.jpg
IMG-1071.jpg

IMG-1075.jpg

IMG-1070.jpg
IMG-1067.jpg
IMG-1066.jpg
IMG-1075.jpg

Which ones are ” fake” and which genuine ? :cool:

Ah looked at half a dozen selllers on ebay. 4 of them were also on Aliexpress. I chose the cheaper of the remaining 2 ($2 cheaper ☺️) free post. Ordered direct from the seller-not through Aliexpress.

PS Over the last few years , I've bought :
3 x 1 metre interconnects £84 for 3
2 x 2 " " " £68 for 2
2 x 4 " " " £170 for 2

How do they sound ? Well...they don't " sound" and that's the whole point of quality cables. Not to add or remove anything from the signal.

So.... saved around £ 2,700...allegedly ...🥱:cool:
You can now buy a Rolex or AP superclone that is near identical to the original for about 10 % of the genuine Rolex/AP cost..

..wires are much easier to reproduce than mechanical watches.

Nah, paying £000s for cable and e.g. still buying and believing Audioquest when they've been proven liars and cheats and giving them £100s more for truly dodgy cable...that's getting ripped off...:cool:
AQ have been busted for using equalizers when A-B comparing their wires with others.

Call me whatever slur you fancy, i just wouldn't buy from there out of fear of getting ripped off, whatever claims are made by sellers.

Yes, you need the difference in gravitational pressure to siphon the electrons from the amplifiers to the speakers. The speakers MUST be at a lower level than the amps, otherwise the current would flow from the speakers to the amps.

It requires cable risers of various heights to create the frequency curve you prefer, generally a downward slope is preferable.

Sound Viaducts ™

I wouldn't at all be surprised if there was boutique cables from Western companies with high prices manufacturered in China in factories that manufacturer other cheaper Chinese brands or indeed 'copies' with a much lesser price tag.

I really don't get it people buy Chinese counterfeit-products. It's just not right :(
I don't think it's fair some of these boutique brands to be charging the prices they do, its well known that shops make a greater percentage on cables than most other hifi components.
Should Aldi be selling baked beans cheaper than Heinz from Saisnbury's.
The British are well known for looking for bargains.

I don't think it's fair some of these boutique brands to be charging the prices they do, its well known that shops make a greater percentage on cables than most other hifi components.
Should Aldi be selling baked beans cheaper than Heinz from Saisnbury's.
The British are well known for looking for bargains.
If you can't afford it, or don't want to pay that much, then don't buy it! The Chinese ****up all of our markets. It's not only audio. They copy our inventions and then sell them dirt cheap. It's just not right. And it all starts with us consumers: we just shouldn't buy this shit. Mind you, it could be your job we're talking about...

If you can't afford it, or don't want to pay that much, then don't buy it! The Chinese ****up all of our markets. It's not only audio. They copy our inventions and then sell them dirt cheap. It's just not right. And it all starts with us consumers: we just shouldn't buy this shit. Mind you, it could be your job we're talking about...
I'm retired, on a limited budget, and you're telling me what I should and shouldn't buy!

A few question for the cable enthusiast to ask yourself.

How do these cables get designed?
Who designs them?
How are they made?
Where are they made?

If I wanted to start a commercial outfit making high end audio cables, what would I do?

Think about what these cables are made from, and the amount of machinery needed to produce a reel.

advertisement

Back