advertisement

Hifi Speakers for Car Audio

The best head units are Alpine. They have a musical quality that is second to none it's the closest I have come to getting a Linn/Naim sound in a car short of buying an Aston Martin!

Trust me Alpine sounds fantastic.

Flat

I have some original B&W car speakers knocking around from memory they are Kevlar looking (may just be yellow).
From the 80's but would they be of any use?!?

Car amps are designed to drive a 4ohm nominal impedance, hence car speakers are nominal 4 ohms. Domestic hi-fi are nominal 8 ohm, so you won't get the volume and the head amp may struggle. Plus all the other reasons that domestic hi-fi units are not suitable for in car use. So the answer is simple. Get car speakers, there are plenty to choose from that would be a significant improvement on stock in-car drive units.

Take a look here:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category_m-speakers_c-87.htm
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/speakers-c-63.html

Another vote for JL Audio gear. I walked into my local car audio shop and asked -

"Excuse me I'd like to have a refined and discreet audio install in my car please!"

They nearly wept for joy.

Honda Civic Type R.Sound ok but need a sub.
7250643210_96c4f33ee6_z.jpg

I had some CDT components in my car. very good around £200. might be worth getting some sound deadning done in your doors. would help in most cars.

i dont think there has been a time my car cost more than my Car Stereo.

just sitting in my spare room now. might get round to selling it at some point.

but Alpine are the best head units...........

This was an older thread i have since done the following sound deadened the doors and installed a set of focul component speakers. I did try out cones and crossovers from a set of 4ohm q acoustic speakers i had lying about but they sounded awful.

I found the only way to get a "decent" sound in my last car (couldn't be bothered spending the time or money in this one!) Was to do all the following:

1. sound deaden pretty much every panel of the car - full interior out job and took a week to do, this helps the midrange and vocals no end from background road noise and stops panels resonating from bass and sounding horrible.

2. create new driver mounting points, and farbicate mounts/pods from MDF) as the stock locations very rarely offer decent SQ.

3. run active - I ran a 3 way active front end (DLS components, DLS A series amps and Alpine HU with adjustable crossovers, slopes, cut off's and time alingnment) and a 12" sealed sub in quite large box in the boot.

4. Use scopes and meters to find dips or peaks in frequencies throughout the car and eq these to be as "flat" as possible for a start point/base point - you'd be suprised how small range of frequencies can peak in small cars.

The sound was very good (for a car!).

Don't forget that most car speakers are designed for "open baffle" or large enclosure sizes due to not being completely sealed in most cars, so using non-car speakers designed for small boxes etc might not sound great or give the full frequency response you were after. Of course if you select your own drivers with this in mind this may not be the case

advertisement

Back