advertisement

Hidden Gems. Recommendations please

I have one track of his on a compilation (if memory serves), Because of You (may be a demo because it sounds very rough), and I've been meaning to track down his album(s)

The version I know was on White Light, though I wouldn't have said it was particularly rough, so you may be right about a demo version. Its fairly representative of the style of thing on that album.

If you look on YouTube you will find that someone or several someones has uploaded a fair few tracks of his.

Fair points FranzD - I have (and like) American Beauty. Anthem of the Sun I couldn't really get into, but then I'm not really into psychedelic stuff.

UncleAnts - White Light now on my list thanks.

You might want to try some Spirit. Start with "The 12 dreams of Dr. sardonicus".

Also, try the Zombies "Oddysey & Oracle". Now that truly is a hidden gem.

Chris

You might want to try some Spirit. Start with "The 12 dreams of Dr. sardonicus".

Also, try the Zombies "Oddysey & Oracle". Now that truly is a hidden gem.

Chris
Seconded. Two of the best LP's by rock bands ever. Not sure they quite fit with the OP's criteria, though. I'd add 'Spirit of '76' as being as good as 'The 12 Dreams...'.

Re The Dead, my fave studio LP of theirs, and I seem to be in a minority of one on this, is 'Blues for Allah'. Full of crystalline and precise blues and jazz improvisations. Really good and mellow.

I often return to John Hiatt when in this kind of mood. There's a "Best of" if you're too short of time ;-)

Also second Jason Molina (Songs Ohia) All pretty good and lots on vinyl (Secretly Canadian)

Out of Leftfield and not in the sphere you ask for try Leftism by Leftfield, simply for its all round brilliance.

I have the Zombies singles a's and B's i can only play care of cell 49 and the obvious hits which amount to 3 songs why i cant personaly get my head round with it its this trying to sound sweet vocals blokes do..... Bit like listening to scritti politi and the korgies yuk
its my problem i like men to sound like men like john forgerty doing born on the buyou i guess.

Listen lads real man singing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8JPIlrDb3c

More interesting suggestions, thanks.

btw - Leftism already in my collection (used to enjoy a bit of ambient for certain 'moods')

advertisement

Back