advertisement

hi-fi reference music

headonist

pfm Member
hey! what cd's/lp's do you use as hi-fi reference music? or do you just squat down and pick a random disc :)

here are some records I usually try out when I've purchased new equipment..

electronish:
Kraftwerk - Tour De France Soundtracks (CD)
Ozric Tentacles - Spirals In Hyperspace (CD)
Monolake - most of theirs (CD)
Björk - Homogenic (CD)
Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? (CD)

rocky:
Ahvak - Ahvak (CD)
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms (CD)
Daimonji - Improg (CD)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (LP)
Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine (CD)
Opeth - Damnation (LP)

jazzy:
Return To Forever - Return To Forever (LP)
Return To Forever - Hymns of the Seventh Galaxy (LP)
Theo Travis - EarthTo Ether (CD)

folky:
Zakir Hussain - Essence of Rythm (CD)
Mari Boine - Eight Seasons (CD)
Jan Garbarek - Ragas and Sagas (CD)
Iva Bittova & Vladimír Vaclavek - Bíle inferno (CD)

Talk Talk's spirit of Eden
Miles Davis' Kind of Blue
Peter Gabriel's So
Doris Day :)-) - boy her lips part with SUCH a sexy noise
Caetano Veloso's Cucurrucucu Paloma

And then any from a number which I feel highlight specific things.

It's all dodgy ground though - I like DIY so evaluating changes is part of it - but I don't want to get to the point where I hear only the recording and it's reproduction...

Rush - Moving Pictures
Peter Gabriel - So
Rammstein - Mutter
Jim Lampri - Greazy
Crowded House - Temple of Low Men
System Of A Down - Toxicity
Blackmore's Night - Shadow of the Moon

Only one - this one:
B000001G4Q.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

because I've had it for over 20 years (both in vinyl and CD), I love the performance and I know every nuance in it.

My reference disks change every year or so.

This year I have been using Razorlight's CD. A few years back it was Bjork's Post. Go back further it was one track by The beautiful South (Perfect Ten). Back in the early 80s it was an LP by Joan Armatrading featuring Me Myself I.

I guess if there is any message in all this, its best to use something you are playing a lot anyway. Getting Dark Side of The Moon out of the cupboard 10 years after you last played it would be counter productive for me ...

Nils
I had to look twice as your music taste is virtually like mine, I thought that was my post!

I went to see Opeth in concert on Saturday and they were absolutely awesome

CHeers
Goose

16 Horsepower: Folklore
KoxBox: The Great Unknown / Dragon Tales
Paradise Lost: One Second
A-ha: Minor Earth Major Sky
Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic (vinyl)

/Mirland

My tester for Hi Fi as I mentioned before is Velvet underground the andy wahol banana album , especially "I'm waiting for my man" it sounds bad on cheap stuff and gets better and better as equipment improves , its such an edgy not well recorded track with loads of detail waiting to be let out by a good system :D

My tester for Hi Fi as I mentioned before is Velvet underground the andy wahol banana album , especially "I'm waiting for my man" it sounds bad on cheap stuff and gets better and better as equipment improves , its such an edgy not well recorded track with loads of detail waiting to be let out by a good system.

The last time you mentioned the banana one, I went home and listened to my 1980's vinyl one, for the first time in many years. You are absolutely right here, it's the type of dense, noisy music that really is a test for every corner of a system.

That reminds me of my "favourite" record of the opposite kind. Namely Opus 3 - Test Record 1 (you know, the on with "tiden bara gaar"). I've had it since it came out and it has managed to sound good on any system I played it on. Avoid.

JohanR

Caravan - Blind Dog at St. Dunstans (Vinyl)
New Order - Technique (Vinyl)
Icicle Works - 1st album (Vinyl)

Eloy - Metromania (CD)
New Order - Substance (CD)
Fun Lovin' Criminals - 100% Columbian (CD)

Seems to cover most stuff for me

If I can't bear to listen to Joy Division on a system its a no-no. Always my first and most essential test

I am a jolly soul

I use the following:-
To see if the Bass is behaving - Chris Rea The Blue Jukebox
For the Treble - Alison Krauss + Union Station New Favorite
If its wrong she will shred your ears.
General check - Antonio Forcione Tears of Joy

Clive

advertisement

Back