advertisement

Heybrook TT2 and External Power Supply

mefabian

I am looking for advice.

As a new owner of a Heybrook TT2 turntable, I'm trying to do minor upgrades on it. One thing I've seen in different forums is to add an external power supply. I have looked around and even contacted Heed and Stamford Audio. Neither are certain if their products would work with the TT2. Heed (their Canadian distributor) has asked for the details of the motor and Stamford is asking if the motor is 50hz. Since I haven't opened the TT2 (I'm reticent to do so in case I break something), does anyone know the answer to this question? It would give me an idea which PS I could consider. I would most likely find someone in Montreal to install it. I feel intimidated by the job (even though I am a manufacturing engineer). I've must be getting too old. šŸ˜‚

Please note that in Quebec, Canada we have 110v/60hz.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Mark

Technically there's no such thing as a 50Hz vs 60Hz motor, they're the exact same motor. The thing that differs is the size of the pulley since the motor goes faster at 60Hz and hence needs a smaller pulley.

If your TT runs on the mains correctly at present then it will have a 60Hz pulley.

Unfortunately that means that any of the mains frequency regenerator type PSU's commonly sold in Europe will not be directly compatible since they pretty much all regenerate at 50Hz. The North American market must be very small otherwise the designers would have come up with a 60Hz version I'm sure. It actually isn't very hard to do - just a change in clock frequency or digital arithmetic. They could easily make it a switchable option.

If you want to go down that path you will need to source (or have manufactured) a suitable pulley or a different motor fitted with the correct pulley. Probably not so easy since Heybrook are long out of business. A local precision engineering firm would probably be your best option.

Alternatively see if one of the suppliers (Valhalla electronics may be your best bet since they are fairly small, active and currently innovating) could actually produce a special version which runs at 60Hz.

The alternative which would work for you and your current pulley is to use a transformer type supply such as the Naim Armageddon or Avondale TAPS (or a cheaper clone of such).

Technically there's no such thing as a 50Hz vs 60Hz motor, they're the exact same motor. The thing that differs is the size of the pulley since the motor goes faster at 60Hz and hence needs a smaller pulley.

If your TT runs on the mains correctly at present then it will have a 60Hz pulley.

Unfortunately that means that any of the mains frequency regenerator type PSU's commonly sold in Europe will not be directly compatible since they pretty much all regenerate at 50Hz. The North American market must be very small otherwise the designers would have come up with a 60Hz version I'm sure. It actually isn't very hard to do - just a change in clock frequency or digital arithmetic. They could easily make it a switchable option.

If you want to go down that path you will need to source (or have manufactured) a suitable pulley or a different motor fitted with the correct pulley. Probably not so easy since Heybrook are long out of business. A local precision engineering firm would probably be your best option.

Alternatively see if one of the suppliers (Valhalla electronics may be your best bet since they are fairly small, active and currently innovating) could actually produce a special version which runs at 60Hz.

The alternative which would work for you and your current pulley is to use a transformer type supply such as the Naim Armageddon or Avondale TAPS (or a cheaper clone of such).
Thank you for such a detailed response.

MEF

The HEED Isokinetic Isodrive PSU will work with the TT2 as this is what I use. There are two versions, series 1 and series 2. I've undone the PSU and had a look, mines a Series 2. You might be able to contact Heed and order one, probably better to get one from eBay. Good luck. I'm in the UK, so not sure if the voltage would be ok in Canada.

But you ain't in Canada are you Rexton? and your TT will have been designed to run on 50Hz mains!

No guarantee the TT2's in North America fitted with TPS don't also have 50Hz pulleys. The North American Valhalla Linns all did.

The EU customers just had to buy the Valhalla to upgrade, but the North American ones also had to buy a new motor!

I'm going to open mine up (carefully) and get the information on the motor. I can also use a vernier (I do have one after all) to measure the pulleys. I'll let you know what I find. It may take a day or two. Thanks for all your comments. I'll get this resolved yet.

I also know that the Heed Orbit 1 and the Hercules/Mose are compatible in Canada as I've seen them for sale. The TT2 with the TPS noted above is being sold in Ontario. I know the store. But I don't need another TT2 ;).

I'm working on getting a Hercules II/Mose from Edmond. Is there anyone in the Montreal, Quebec area who has the experience to install this in a Heybrook TT2?

Another option is to fit a 60Hz output Linn Valhalla board into an external enclosure. The early North American Valhalla output a synthesized 60Hz waveform such that existing LP12 could be easily upgraded without having to change out the 60Hz pulley fit motors. These boards still come up for sale on occasion. Regardless, one can convert any Valhalla to 60Hz output by changing out the 3.2768MHz crystal oscillator for a 3.93216MHz one. Mouser, Digikey, etc. sell these for anywhere from $0.70 to $1.09 (although, they'll get you on the shipping).

Last edited:
I have an external Heed psu with my Heybrook TT2s (the one with the aluminium cast chassis) - Heed Orbit 1 I think.
Had it fitted by Robert at Inspire hifi many years ago.

It works very well, it is worth pointing out that there is a slight hum from the motor when running at 45 rpm, bear in mind that it is working more than it would have done normally.

I also have another Heybrook TT2 (regular square steel T-frame chassis) without an external PSU and that works very well, I just have to change the belt on the pulley to shift between 33 rpm and 45 rpm which takes 20 seconds or so.
The motor keeps speed very well, so I am not convinced of the need for an external PSUā€¦ I suggest using the turntable for a while before changing anythingā€¦

@Big Tabs : Thank you for your comments. I do apprecaite them. I know I need to enjoy the ride for a while before I make any changes. That is sound advice. When I bought the TT2 it came with a Grado Black cartridge and the 8MZ stylus. Since I don't know how old these are, I replaced it with my AT-132EP that had the stylus replaced about a year ago. I haven't used it too much. Maybe 100 hours (more or less). I am really in love with this turntable.

@pure sound : That is very nice to offer up the pulleys, but I think I will wait a bit before proceedings.

Thanks everyone!

MEF

advertisement

Back