advertisement

Help needed to choose new hifi (speakers) for 2017

If it helps I went from proac response d2 to Atc scm19. The atc is as expected a more punchy and exciting listen and the new tweeter is a peach. Th proac was more relaxed but still very engaging presentation but the bass port was heard compared to the tighter infinite baffle bass of the atc..

Okay thanks. The ATC sounds interesting and it's something that I look forward to. Although the SCM19 is supposedly better than the SCM11, I am more inclined to go with the latter as it's quite a bit smaller and more versatile in smaller spaces. Hopefully the SCM11 has the heft and bass for a more engaging listen.

I have owned the Proac Tablette 50 Signature. Good detail and imaging is superb but ultimately fall short in the lower registers.

I would also second the Ruark Templar, a stunning sound from such a diminutive floor stander.

My own suggestion would be a pair of old skool Spendor BC1 monitors. A great all rounder and still to this day such a lovely gorgeous sound.

If you fancy something a little more modern, then sticking with Spendor, the SA1 will be quite happy against a wall too, and are a cracking small box speaker.

I demoed the 11's with the intention of buying and they are mighty fine ...but I listened to the 19's and it was a no brainier in terms of midrange clarity and bass heft. Yes physically they are less likely to slip under the radar...but placement wise they are forgiving. Mine are 220mm from a rear dry lined external wall , 2.2 m apart and 1m from sidewall. I sit 2.5 m away as they fire across a 4.3 x 3m room in a new build house with shitty stud walls.. no bass issues at all.....

The new atc 7, 11 & 19 are plain superb speakers
"Just" need some quality juice +
Wish they'd make them active please, well some of them

Once again thanks everyone for the input.
I've checked out most of the suggestions and am leaning towards something like the Larsens. I guess a floorstander that goes right up against the wall ticks the boxes for potentially more bass/bigger sound, whilst not being deeper or wider than a wall mount/stand mount. I really like the idea of the Neat Iota Alpha, but suspect it'll need to be away from the wall somewhat.

One more option would be Teddy Pardo's sealed box speakers. Anyone any experience of them?

I could even squeeze in SBL's, but last time I tried them albeit in a different room, I found then a little bright and dry for my taste.

Happy New Year

Ian

Talismans were a lot better than Templars though.

Shahinian Larcs might be a consideration but above budget new?

Rega Ela's might do the job and of course are dirt cheap, I've heard bookshelf Royds sounding great on low supports so are very discrete.

Once again thanks everyone for the input.
I've checked out most of the suggestions and am leaning towards something like the Larsens. I guess a floorstander that goes right up against the wall ticks the boxes for potentially more bass/bigger sound, whilst not being deeper or wider than a wall mount/stand mount. I really like the idea of the Neat Iota Alpha, but suspect it'll need to be away from the wall somewhat.

One more option would be Teddy Pardo's sealed box speakers. Anyone any experience of them?

I could even squeeze in SBL's, but last time I tried them albeit in a different room, I found then a little bright and dry for my taste.

Happy New Year

Ian

I don't know if you've considered the RusselK loudspeakers, but you say you have had Epos ES14s and Kans in the past, and I think the smaller RusselK Red50s are in many ways spiritual successors to those, in terms of sheer musical communication, but they also do timbre and beauty in a way the Kans never did, bass too. The larger, but still standmounted, Red100 is more of the same.

I have the floorstanding Red150s in a room slightly smaller than yours; they are just set into a bay window, with about 40-50cm space behind and to the side, and they work beautifully there. If you need to go closer to the wall, the standmounters will fare better, probably, and you don't lose all that much. They are not the prettiest, proportions like an old Linn Sara so quite square, and dealers often have them with a red front baffle which can be offputting, but in gloss black, or oak with a black front baffle, I think their looks definitely grow on you.

I don't know if you've considered the RusselK loudspeakers, but you say you have had Epos ES14s and Kans in the past, and I think the smaller RusselK Red50s are in many ways spiritual successors to those, in terms of sheer musical communication, but they also do timbre and beauty in a way the Kans never did, bass too. The larger, but still standmounted, Red100 is more of the same.

I have the floorstanding Red150s in a room slightly smaller than yours; they are just set into a bay window, with about 40-50cm space behind and to the side, and they work beautifully there. If you need to go closer to the wall, the standmounters will fare better, probably, and you don't lose all that much. They are not the prettiest, proportions like an old Linn Sara so quite square, and dealers often have them with a red front baffle which can be offputting, but in gloss black, or oak with a black front baffle, I think their looks definitely grow on you.
Hi Steve, how big is your room in which you operate the Russel K speakers?

Hi Steve, how big is your room in which you operate the Russel K speakers?
It’s roughly 4m x 4m, incorporating a 3m wide bay window. The Russell Ks are long gone, but the recommendation stands, though these days I’d probably opt for the slightly smaller RED120SE over the regular RED150.

advertisement

Back