advertisement

Help connecting a Meridian 101 to Meridian M2 active speakers

JeffHifi

I recently got my hands on a set of Meridian M2 speakers and a Meridian 101 amplifier from someone who had them stored in their garage.

To hook everything up, I decided to try out the Yamaha WXC-50 streaming preamp, which was pretty affordable. I connected the pre-out RCA connectors on the Yamaha to the RCA inputs on each speaker and found the sound to be pretty decent, especially with a subwoofer.

However, I've heard that using the Meridian 101 with the speakers using the 5-pin DIN connection can significantly improve sound quality. So, I ordered a 5-pin DIN to stereo RCA cable from ebay that is stated as "is perfect for connecting a CD player, VCR, DVD, Phono or any other European type stereo equipment with Din 5 Connector"

I'm a bit unsure about the setup process, though, as the manual isn't very clear. My understanding is that I should connect the RCA end of the cable to the pre-amp output on the Yamaha and the 5-pin DIN end to the socket labeled 'Tape' on the Meridian 101. Then, I should use the supplied 5-pin cable that came with the 101 to connect the Signal Output plug on the 101 to each speaker individually.

However, after turning everything on, I'm only hearing the speakers produce the classic popping/clicking startup sound, but no music is coming through.

Does anyone have experience with this setup who could help me figure out if I've connected everything correctly and diagnose why I'm not getting any sound?

The pre-amp has the pin-out marked on the underside of the case next to the plugs. Check that and makes sure the DIN cable you have is correct. Worst case you'll need to move a few wires. Unless it's a cheapo cable with molded on plugs.

I bought a discrete mk1 or 101(A), 103 amplifier, 104 tuner set up in in the early 1980's direct from Bothroyd Stuart, I still have them. The 101 is a pre-amplifier so therefore used on it's own into the "active" ie fitted with their own power amplifiers , though feeding into/from another amp might be possible I would not know how. Which cartridge module is fitted MM or MC

Is the DIN cable you bought tape in or tape out? The 101 expects Left in on Pin3, Right in on Pin5 and ground on pin2.
As the Yamaha is acting as a source, you need to turn it up and then use the volume on the 101.
You could try the tuner input.
The M2 'speakers have a balanced input on DIN sockets, the 101B version is balanced.

I bought a discrete mk1 or 101(A), 103 amplifier, 104 tuner set up in in the early 1980's direct from Bothroyd Stuart, I still have them. The 101 is a pre-amplifier so therefore used on it's own into the "active" ie fitted with their own power amplifiers , though feeding into/from another amp might be possible I would not know how. Which cartridge module is fitted MM or MC
Thanks for your reply. I do have an old Vintage Aiwa turntable from the 70's. I think its MC. Haven't got that far yet :) My testing is just using Plex to stream flacs to the Yamaha and onto the meridian. Which all works fine using RCA to the speaker. Just can't get 5pin din to work.

The pre-amp has the pin-out marked on the underside of the case next to the plugs. Check that and makes sure the DIN cable you have is correct. Worst case you'll need to move a few wires. Unless it's a cheapo cable with molded on plugs.
Thanks for your reply! I suspect it's either 3 things. The 101 doesn't work, or the cable isn't wired properly or I've just connected it wrong. Will check it out

Sounds like a pinout problem as others have suggested. Has the Meridian 101 got RCA inputs? If so, you can put a signal in here and test that the 101 to active speakers DIN lead is working, then go from there. As others have said there will be a pinout diagram showing which of the pins on the 5 pin DIN does which (probably, from one side, left signal, left neutral/earth, top one not connected, right neutral/earth, right signal, or similar). A multitester (<£10 online or screwfix) will let you test this and work out whether the leads are wired as you need.

If your 101 isn't the balanced model, you may need to short the phono input on the M2 'speaker to get it to work with the DIN input.

From the manual:

"Normally the balanced - input should be used, if for any reason the + input must be used alone it is necessary to bypass the phono input with a short circuit or a 75 ohms terminator to obtain a flat frequency response."

Not many other possibilities? ;0)

Doubt the 101 is dead. They never seem to go wrong.
Good to know! These speakers are not in great condition. Lots of veneer coming off and such. The 101 is missing the volume knob and the input selectors are a bit bent. Looks like its lived half its life in storage.

From memory the DIN socket on a 101 is wired differently to Quad, Naim & others I bought a set specifically for for my 101 from eBay. For inputs to make life simple I have DIN to phono leads.

Sounds like a pinout problem as others have suggested. Has the Meridian 101 got RCA inputs? If so, you can put a signal in here and test that the 101 to active speakers DIN lead is working, then go from there. As others have said there will be a pinout diagram showing which of the pins on the 5 pin DIN does which (probably, from one side, left signal, left neutral/earth, top one not connected, right neutral/earth, right signal, or similar). A multitester (<£10 online or screwfix) will let you test this and work out whether the leads are wired as you need.
This is how it looks if this helps.

Front
Back 1
Back 2

If your 101 isn't the balanced model, you may need to short the phono input on the M2 'speaker to get it to work with the DIN input.

From the manual:

"Normally the balanced - input should be used, if for any reason the + input must be used alone it is necessary to bypass the phono input with a short circuit or a 75 ohms terminator to obtain a flat frequency response."
Thanks for that. Does it sound better in Balanced mode? I guess I'm asking if it's worth the effort

From memory the DIN socket on a 101 is wired differently to Quad, Naim & others I bought a set specifically for for my 101 from eBay. For inputs to make life simple I have DIN to phono leads.
Thank you! From the other suggestions, its a molded plug, so I'll have to go find my multimeter and check the pins myself.

It's not true balanced, there is just a module on the output of the 101B.
I'd only be bothered if there was interference being picked up on the cables between the 101 and M2, then a balanced connection would get rid of it through common mode rejection (I'd use starquad cable too for the additional benefits).

To be honest, if the Yamaha is going to be the source, I wouldn't bother with the 101.
If you are going to use the 101 with a turntable, then the built in stage may be worth it, depending on what is fitted to the 101.

It's not true balanced, there is just a module on the output of the 101B.
I'd only be bothered if there was interference being picked up on the cables between the 101 and M2, then a balanced connection would get rid of it through common mode rejection (I'd use starquad cable too for the additional benefits).

To be honest, if the Yamaha is going to be the source, I wouldn't bother with the 101.
If you are going to use the 101 with a turntable, then the built in stage may be worth it, depending on what is fitted to the 101.
I was planning to route the signal from the yamaha pre-outs in direct mode to the 101 then onto the speakers using the din cables. But if connecting this way doesn't offer any real sound improvement, I'll just connect RCA direct from yamaha to the speaker in direct mode and just not use the 101. I have a phono pre-amp already so I'll mostly be playing CD/flacs though.

Is the DIN cable you bought tape in or tape out? The 101 expects Left in on Pin3, Right in on Pin5 and ground on pin2.
As the Yamaha is acting as a source, you need to turn it up and then use the volume on the 101.
You could try the tuner input.
The M2 'speakers have a balanced input on DIN sockets, the 101B version is balanced.
Finally found my multi-meter. Looks like the cable from Ebay is wired wrong. It's wired on pins 1 and 4, where it should be 3 and 5. Looks like I have to make my own cable with my dubious soldering skills :)

Sorry to bump up this thread, but I have decided instead to get a DAC as a in-between the M2 speakers and my Yamaha WXC-50 pre-amp.
The DAC has 3 pin XLR outputs.
Would a 3 pin XLR cable to 5 pin din cable work? I see them on ebay and was wondering if there would be any issue with the voltage etc.

Sorry to bump up this thread, but I have decided instead to get a DAC as a in-between the M2 speakers and my Yamaha WXC-50 pre-amp.
The DAC has 3 pin XLR outputs.
Would a 3 pin XLR cable to 5 pin din cable work? I see them on ebay and was wondering if there would be any issue with the voltage etc.
The DAC will sit between a digital component (streamer, CD player...) and your pre-amp, not between the pre-amp and the speakers.
Apologies if I have completely misunderstood your post!

advertisement

Back