advertisement

Hello fellow photographers...

Pixel299

Hello all,

I have only joined PFM this week but my late father @JemHayward was, as it appears, a well known and long standing member of this community. I joined to get some help with his hi-fi but I think I'll be sticking around for the photography.

Bit of background... being my fathers son, from the age I was able to hold a camera, I had one. My dad really encouraged my photography hobby and bought me a fully manual Yashica FR just as fully automated cameras were becoming a real thing... this would have been mid 1990's. His thought process was that if I was going to learn, I'd learn how to do it all manually as this would help in the long run.

Move forward 25+ years and dad and I started what's now my production company. We mostly work in the automotive industry working for car manufacturers and motorsport teams, although the client list includes a YouTuber, brewery, butchers and a local haulage company... The idea was that dad was going to be the photography side of the business when he retired from his Optometrist day job and I would do the video production. Sadly he lost his battle with cancer in December 2020 and I had to learn how to be a 'professional' photographer quite quickly.

When I say I'm a professional photographer, that simply means that I get paid to take photographs and thankfully my clients haven't noticed I'm not actually that good. I'd say that photography makes up for about 30% of the business overall.

Kit wise I'm, like my father, a Fuji man... Mainly owing to the fact he had a good collection of X-mount lenses so it made no sense to move to a different eco system. The current arsenal consists of an X-T1 (which is great as it's worth nothing so I'm not worried about dropping it out of a moving vehicle...), two X-H1's and an X-T4, along with various lens combinations. Also have two DJI Mini 2 drones and a BMW X5 that acts as a rolling production studio, complete with the ability to hang DJI Ronin's off it at pretty much any angle required.

I'm not here to promote my business so no links (although it's not difficult to find) but I'll try and be active within the forums and post some images from time to time. In the mean time, here is one of my favourites...

Thanks!

James

XTF5326.png

Lovely to hear from you. Your Dad was a frequent contributor to the audio and photography pages here and he is sorely missed.
Shame you didn't like the 456, as it is still on my wish list.

Lovely to hear from you. Your Dad was a frequent contributor to the audio and photography pages here and he is sorely missed.
Shame you didn't like the 456, as it is still on my wish list.

In the defence of the 456 I think if I were to drive it to the south of France I'd probably fall in love with it. But the bumpy Cotswolds roads really showed it's short comings. Didn't help that this particular car locked me in, on two separate occasions owing to a 40p plastic clip inside the door - common failure apparently.

And thanks for the kind words about my dad. I've spent the past few days reading some of his posts whilst trying to figure out his home brew hi-fi. It's been a nice reminder of what he was like.

In the defence of the 456 I think if I were to drive it to the south of France I'd probably fall in love with it. But the bumpy Cotswolds roads really showed it's short comings. Didn't help that this particular car locked me in, on two separate occasions owing to a 40p plastic clip inside the door - common failure apparently.

And thanks for the kind words about my dad. I've spent the past few days reading some of his posts whilst trying to figure out his home brew hi-fi. It's been a nice reminder of what he was like.

The main roads around Chipping Norton are lovely, although the small lines are a tad choppy...

The main roads around Chipping Norton are lovely, although the small lines are a tad choppy...

Yea most of my experience with this car was between Great Tew & Burford, so across Enstone, Charlbury etc. There were glimmers of greatness, but without doubt my old Lotus Elise would have left it standing in such conditions.

Why go further than Great Tew? Just stop the car outside the Falklands Arms and enjoy...

Whilst I completely agree with you on that one, unfortunately this was a clients car and I had to collect it from storage, go to the airfield location for the photoshoot (Enstone) and then back again. I drove it again a few weeks later but on one of the same roads so didn't really count!

Interesting you mentioned the Falklands though - that pub is exactly half way between my house and said client's house, so we regularly use it as a 'meeting space'.

Whilst I completely agree with you on that one, unfortunately this was a clients car and I had to collect it from storage, go to the airfield location for the photoshoot (Enstone) and then back again. I drove it again a few weeks later but on one of the same roads so didn't really count!

Interesting you mentioned the Falklands though - that pub is exactly half way between my house and said client's house, so we regularly use it as a 'meeting space'.

Perfect placement... the pub that is, not the product....

advertisement

Back