advertisement

Headphone Recommendations...

Hi all, I fancy some over ear, wired, closed back headphones. I've always had/have Sennheiser ear/headphones, but have been put off the brand by replacement parts being excessively priced, ie replacement ear pads for the HD650 being £40 (the 650s were £160 new).

They are for listening to speech, podcast etc, so have to be easy to drive and have good clarity.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I share your indignation. My HD600s are languishing in a drawer needing new ear pads and headband pad. A cool 60E plus postage.

I like the Sony MDR-V6 for closed-back full-sized headphones. Good all-rounders, and there's a reason they're popular in studios and with DJs.

I like the Sony MDR-V6 for closed-back full-sized headphones. Good all-rounders, and there's a reason they're popular in studios and with DJs.

+1
I've had a pair for years and IMO they're difficult to beat for twice the price. The 7506 are supposedly the same or very similar cans.

Thanks all, the HD650 pads are still soldiering on. I might buy some copies when the eventually fall to bits.

Wanted some closed back phones to isolate me from outside noise, can see the updated Sony's on amazon, anybody using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 ?

Thanks all, the HD650 pads are still soldiering on. I might buy some copies when the eventually fall to bits.

Wanted some closed back phones to isolate me from outside noise, can see the updated Sony's on amazon, anybody using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 ?

I'm using the DT 770 Pro 80ohm. I use them with a MacBook Pro for listening to music while I work. I love them and bought them based on this review
- this guy has reviewed a lot of headphones.

I play a lot of metal/rock and they suit this genre well with decent tuneful tight bass but not to the detriment of the mids/treble which I find clear and well balanced, they're not neutral however. They're comfortable, clamp tight and isolate very well because of it.

+1
I've had a pair for years and IMO they're difficult to beat for twice the price. The 7506 are supposedly the same or very similar cans.

I think the MDR-7506 have a slightly 'hotter' top end, a 'presence peak' suited for studio purposes. The MDR-V6 more neutral.

HD 600/650 pads and headband can be bought on Amazon reasonably cheaply if you don't mind other manufacturers version.
I could not tell the difference.

Yes, I managed to get the Ear Pad and inner, but had to go official on the head band pad.

Looking now I notice List price is over 14 GBP! Although the HD 650 Headband Pads are cheaper at about £8.
I think they fit the HD 600 - but are they any more robust?

Simon

Grado. Plenty of lower priced replacement earpad options on Amazon.

The sr125e has seen its price dropped to £125 recently.

Andrew

Many of the newer trendy brands seem to require frequent repairs.
My 30 year old Beyer DT311s still going strong. Audio Technica seem to hold together too

I once tried some Audioquest which were comfortable but veiled.
My own Beyer DT250 not very comfy but nice neutral vfm

I have some Superlux clones of the MDR-7506 that are quite good and amazing for the £25 they cost.

For speech, podcasts etc and the ability to be driven by almost anything and sound good - Grado.
Open back though.

No need to spend lots, the SR60 & SR80 get you 95% there for <£100.

Clarity and intelligibility are the stand-out qualities, extension and evenness, not so much.

advertisement

Back