advertisement

Headphone amps?

Ended up going for the Slee Solo Ultra linear whatsit. Was swayed by the reviews mentioning how it wasn't harsh or strident.
I've used a Solo SRG11 with 600's (not heard the Ultra) and thought it was the best sound of all the amps I've owned - Lehmann Linear, NJC, Rega Ear and Naim Headline.

SPL Phonitor mk1
Why on Earth would you want or expect to use all those gimmicks? Only one h/ph jack (poor). VU meters? useful if used as a pre., I suppose but I wonder how many inputs/outputs it has. Vastly over-complicated; more lab. use than domestic hifi i.m.o.

Emm, gotta turn this Slee thing to 3.15 to get a decent loud listen out of it.
That is a good thing - seriously; from an optimum SNR point of view.

Don't worry about it; 'excess' gain is the last thing you want from a headphone amp, for a couple of reasons.

Why on Earth would you want or expect to use all those gimmicks? Only one h/ph jack (poor). VU meters? useful if used as a pre., I suppose but I wonder how many inputs/outputs it has. Vastly over-complicated; more lab. use than domestic hifi i.m.o.
If you have to ask..... ;)

Used the Slee for a bit now, sounding good, and doesn't need to go past 11am, impressed. The 650s, the bass on them is decent, quite pleasing, as my current room acoustics makes the bass bloom, so nice to hear it more delineated.

advertisement

Back