advertisement

Haydn complete symphonies Dorati & Philharmonia Hungarica (vinyl)

Nye Samuel

Herr Katze
All 107 symphonies…all boxed with booklets.

Records have been ‘cleaned’ with many records having new inner liners

In excellent condition played once by me and no crackles or pops or stuck grooves.

£100… collection from Biggleswade in Bedfordshire…price includes tea or coffee and chocolate biscuits…milk or plain.

If I had a hundred spare quid, I'd snap you hand off for this.

Someone is going to get a wonderful set for a pittance.

I had the London Symphonies box [from this complete survey] way back in the 1970s, and wore them out for their loveliness!

Best wishes from George

Lovely set.
I can confirm that this is indeed a lovely cycle, at least in the sense that I have just listened to the Clock Symphony, and the music making is even finer than I remember it from when I owned the last two boxes in the 1980s. And the record is as near mint as you could hope. Virtually silent surface and a couple of clicks only. I have listened and accepted things as new with more LP noise!

Very happy to now have my very last musical library ambition full-filled in possessing a Haydn Symphony complete survey.

I had to think hard about the last recordings I bought. Probably three years ago about a week apart. Holst's The Planets in Sargent's wonderfully vigorous late 1950s stereo recording for EMI [on CD re-issue, but second hand], and Vivaldi's Four Seasons from I Virtuosi de Roma from 1959 also on second hand CD on EMI. Neither have been eclipsed in terms of the music making.

Two strange lapses and omissions from what used to be a very nice collection of CDs and LPs.

Since then I have reduced the library to just over 500 CDs and about 400 LPs.

Best wishes from George

PS Just started at the beginning with No. One. Haydn was a master from extreme youth on this showing. Not much credit for that in popular classical culture. though Dave Hurwitz is currently offering what he styles "The Haydn Symphony Crusade" on Youtube ... I don't always agree with Mr. Hurwitz on choice of best performance, but where he talks about great music he does point to greatness where it is deserved.

Nobody needs to do a Mozart Symphony Crusade, because in classical popular criticism, Mozart never produced a dud. Even Beethoven and Bach made a few! For myself, I find the kaleidoscope of invention and innovation that Haydn manages a nigh miracle! Haydn's Mercurial ideas never produce a dud. It may not be everybody's favourite style, but it was as endless as the working life of a joyful, and sincere musician, who knew the darkness of emotion but who rarely [extremely rarely] let this shown in gloomy music. To produce joyful music is far bigger piece of artistry than being for ever melancholy. Haydn's joyful energy is life enhancing, and I commend it. There is the occasional darker piece, such as the Variations for Keyboard in F Minor, and the fairly wistful Cello Concerto Number Two in D, or the shadows in the slow movement of his Trumpet Concerto, but there is serious intent in the context of a joker, and something we could all learn from. Don't take yourself or life too seriously.

Old Bach is my other favourite and he is different, but also manages [except in rare cases] to bring joy with him.

Just tuppence' worth from George

Last edited:
Hi George…I am really happy you like the records…I always tried to look after them and glad they have gone to a good home where they will be valued and truly appreciated.

I listened to them from 1-104 and then the appendices in order…everyone is a masterpiece….not forgetting his trumpet concerto, string quartets, piano trios and the Nelson Mass…plus he had a sense of humour…second movement of the Surprise symphony is testament to that.

Bach is also an amazing treasure store of wonderful music…Beethoven, Brahms…but then there is early music…Hildegard of Bingen…Dufay…Byrd…Tallis…Vittoria…Palestrina…so much beauty…ars longa…vita brevis…Art is long but life is short…I am selling all my remaining LPs to a friend…got about 1000 CDs…I have my streaming source…so I have enough to keep me happy….and my Creek tuner…so I have Radio 3 and occasionally…Classic FM.

I have walked (off road) between Biggleswade and Dunton and back a few times but due to the new sub power station being built (you and Lou, would have seen it on your walk..the path is currently closed to be reopened some time in the future…probably in a year or two…Maybe.

Glad you got home safely and truly understand that you were stressed by your journey…I was worried that you were hurt…my apologies for giving you the wrong number but I was consistent..I got my email address wrong too.

Keep enjoying the symphonies.

With best wishes

Nye :)

advertisement

Back