advertisement

Hawkwind: Space Ritual 50th Anniversary remix.

Finnegan

I like a bit of a cavort
Had this a few weeks now. God, they were awesome. While I’ll always love the sonic sludge of the original release, this has been significantly cleaned up to the extent that you can actually follow Brock’s guitar and Lemmy’s nuclear bass lines. Must admit tho,’ I still give Calvert’s… ahem, ‘poetry‘ a swerve.

I do like the new re-mastered version, and it's def an improvement on the original. The three complete gigs are really good too. Not impressed with the surround mix.
John

Amazon link here. It will be cheaper and help support pfm. There is also a 2xCD version here which I assume is the same remix.

I have to admit I’m staying clear. It would be very interesting to hear the complete gigs from which the original album was compiled, but it is such a classic album it should stay as intended IMHO. I’m lucky to have a NM UA 1st pressing, it sounds exactly as it should. The past attempt to clean it up and extend it for CD was awful IMO, it just sounded so wrong. Hopefully this is a lot better.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Crikey I saw the Space Ritual tour in York back in the day (1972), I was a callow youth of 15! 50p admission which included a badge and the programme. The latter was predictably full of cosmic gibberings.:) I still smile when I hear 'Sonic Attack'.

This and Made in Japan are my favourite live albums can never decide which I like the best , I was unaware of the remix I'll get one from Tony's link .

Saw Hawkwind in concert with Pink Fairies. They played together at the end of the gig, and called themselves 'Pink Wind'. Yep, that's about right!

Amazon link here. It will be cheaper and help support pfm. There is also a 2xCD version here which I assume is the same remix.

I have to admit I’m staying clear. It would be very interesting to hear the complete gigs from which the original album was compiled, but it is such a classic album it should stay as intended IMHO. I’m lucky to have a NM UA 1st pressing, it sounds exactly as it should. The past attempt to clean it up and extend it for CD was awful IMO, it just sounded so wrong. Hopefully this is a lot better.
I love to support pfm when I can but the two disc set on Amazon is double the cost of buying it directly from Cherry Red (although doubtless the latter will add p&p). Amazon £29.99, Cherry Red £14.99…

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Wow, that is unusual. Amazon’s pricng algorithm veers into surrealism at times for sure. I’m sure it will drop.
I’ve set it up in camelcamelcamel to see if it drops by much.

EDIT: It’s gone mad on Amazon! Was £15.99 a minute ago, not it’s £17.29!

Be aware they overwright other link affiliation, so are in competition with sites such as pfm. It is how they make their money.
I use them to find when the price drops then use a pfm link when I can. I think the discrepancy with the price of the 2 disc set is that the £17 version is sold by Amazon, but the £30 one you linked to is sold by a marketplace seller, who’s also selling the 11 disc set for a horrifying £200, £90 more that the actual price.

I have to admit I’m staying clear. It would be very interesting to hear the complete gigs from which the original album was compiled, but it is such a classic album it should stay as intended IMHO. I’m lucky to have a NM UA 1st pressing, it sounds exactly as it should.
This! It sounds great, it looks great. I do not need anything more.

Hang on. hasn't this one been out for some time? I've certainly got a Cherry Red two disc version with the 13 minute Brainstorm, and the 11 minute Shouldn't Do That.
I also have a much older set with bonus extended 13 minute versions (e.g. Time We Left & Born to Go).

How long are Born to Go & Time We Left in this "new" set?

Hang on. hasn't this one been out for some time? I've certainly got a Cherry Red two disc version with the 13 minute Brainstorm, and the 11 minute Shouldn't Do That.
I also have a much older set with bonus extended 13 minute versions (e.g. Time We Left & Born to Go).

How long are Born to Go & Time We Left in this "new" set?

Brainstorm 13:50
Shouldn't Do That 8:22
Born To Go 9:55
Time We Left 10:48

Released 2023

advertisement

Back