advertisement

Has PFM always been so divided?

I don't understand your classifying participants in "leftists, loners and rare rightists". We discuss everything from UK politics to the international politics to any breaking news of all kinds. Even shaving brushes and cars.

There is a correct marxist-leninist shaving brush.

As in - "I used to admire your shaving brush. I shouldn't admire it now. I should find it absurdly personal. Don't you agree? Feelings, insights, affections... it's suddenly trivial now. You don't agree; you're wrong. The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it. I can see why you might hate me."

Not being politically well educated the politics threads interest me, but the way that politics infests nearly every topic (eventually) sems limited. I don't find that quite so obvious in 'real life' so it may be prolific posters.
Oh heck.
I think I'll just shut up lol.
Important stuff like food and a log fire are calling.
Kill the thread with death. :)

The various riffs on speed camera / speed limit threads are rarely that political, nor the 'I've got the best car' threads. I think you just haven't hung around here long enough yet.

Par for the course is one or two posts and then, whether it's coffee, shaving, tax, politics, The Fall or any other topic, it goes straight to:

Ve-x9S.gif

And if not the handbags at dawn reaction, it's the collective forum groan that someone could write such stupid bullshit about some topic.

giphy.gif

Then, of course, we have the Trekking of threads, but I wouldn't recommend newbies venture down that path. That's something you work your way up to.

Hie

Most of it is the equivalent of an after dinner or down the pub argument. For the most part Hand bags at dawn to be honest.

pfm in my opinion is one of the MOST interesting forums . there are few so lively hifi forums in so many topics in off topic . not seen maxflinn recently , and he was always one to stir up debate . where is he anyway ?

on some forums like audioshark , political discussion is banned and its a bit sad I think

I'll take heated disagreement about matters of critical importance (Brexit, poverty, middle east policy) over heated argument about matters of no consequence (cables, power outlets, fuses, digital vs analog).

pfm succeeds where almost all other chat boards seem to fail - it allows broad freedom to post about almost any topic, without threads regularly devolving into obscenities. It's great.

If you discount the number of times Joe has referenced Trek in a thread, his post count is just 37.

John,

If you discount the number of times Joe has referenced Trek in a thread, his post count is just 37.
Probably closer to 28. (Were you accidentally including the few times I've posted about Space: 1999?)

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a time when we argued mostly about equipment stands, but it's hard to say whether those days were the forum's nadir or zenith.

We had Mana bois, non-ferrous weenie bois, and Hutter bois, battling it out daily. The release of the Naim Fraim mixed it up a bit, with some responding by doing Phase 19-level Mana battles while others abandoned Camp Mana to join the enemy!

Many died, even more were injured.

Joe

Those, indeed, were the daze...

4090283330_0fa931e6f6.jpg

pfm in my opinion is one of the MOST interesting forums . there are few so lively hifi forums in so many topics in off topic ...on some forums like audioshark , political discussion is banned and its a bit sad I think

Agreed, on both counts. :)

it does seem to me that these debates are dominated by the same dozen people
This is the only part of pfm I don't enjoy,when you consider the amount of members here, it would be nice if more would get involved, It does become a little dull when you pretty much know the answer before you ask the question, we have all become quite predictable, there is little left to discuss here regarding Brexit & the current political climate, it has all been said by the same people, over & over, I imagine this thread will be no different & will, at some point , devolve into another Brexit thread.

I know of many members here who refuse to take part, it's a pity as some new views would be most welcomed.
Most who don't, feel it a pointless exercise as they feel their views will be ridiculed & belittled, due to the nature of the beast.

It is easily the most intelligent, thought provoking forum I have visited, easily the best of the bunch IMO, just feel it needs some new input on the main topics as there are numbers here who resemble the Borg collective.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom