advertisement

Has Anybody Used A Quad 99 CDP-2 With A 405-2?

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Has anybody used a Quad 99 CDP-2, or the original CDP, with a 405-2 or another Quad power amp and what were the results like?

The Quad 99 CDP intrigues me, being a CD player, pre and DAC, if I understand it right.

I planned to put my Apple and/or Squeezebox gear through it, since the unit has three digital inputs, three optical inputs and an optical output.

The one thing that the CDP doesn't have is an analogue/phono input, so I can't put my turntable through it. I will use the 44 for this.

I planned to route the CDP, via its fixed outputs, into my 44 preamp and then out to the power amp.

Obviously I would have to use the 44's volume knob, rather than the CDP's remote to control the sound. I assume I can still use the CDP's remote to switch from CD to digital/streaming though.

I don't know whether this is a wise thing to do, I should ring Quad up and ask.

In the meantime, has anybody used the Quad 99 CDP-2, or CDP, into a 405-2 or another Quad power amp?

Jack

Yes,yes and yes.

With a A/D converter you don't need a pre amp even.

Have you heard the combo? do you have the combo?

Where do you live? I run Quad gear, you're welcome to come listen.(Staffordshire)

atb

Ronnie.

Hi Ronnie, no I haven't heard the combo.

I've got a Quad 44 and 405-2 and wanted to get another CD player.

After looking around, I came across the Quad CDP and CDP-2. The fact that these could work as preamps and had digital inputs seemed a great plus.

What do you think are the strong points of such a combo?

I am based in London. If I decide to go down the CDP route, I'll pop up and see you in Staffordshire. Thanks.

Jack

if this helps:i have seen a presentation/demo at one show with CDP-2+Quad/II/40+ESL989 few years back.. it has worked perfectly ;)

advertisement

Back