advertisement

Happy ND5XS and Teddy XPS owners

vogtlancs

pfm Member
Hi there,
are there any happy ND5XS (or NDX) owners who use the Teddy XPS to power it? I take it that the Teddy XPS is more advanced technically than both the XPS2 and XP5XS. Still, the TXPS was developed for the CDX2 and not for the NDX streamers, thus I would much appreciate your comments / experience!
Best,
Stefan
[my system: ND5XS -> 282/dTcap -> 200 -> B&W 805D]

To put it bluntly, the naim power supplies are a 1960s design. It works extremely well but it is long in the tooth. Teddy has produced a p.s. for the 21st century. It has some significant advantages over the naim design. No need for any servicing and no mains hum are for me the two best points. I have owned several naim power supplies over the last 30 years and teddy does a better job. I use a T XPS into a NDAC with a NDX. Never felt the need to put the T XPS on the NDX but I'm going to sell the NDAC so I might do this at some point in the future.

I suspect that naim developed the dr as they realised that T had a better product !

Thanks, Stemcor.
Again, I would be grateful for reports about Teddy XPS powering the NDX or ND5XS.
Best,
Stefan

P.S.: Thanks to naimsg who told me that it is a worthwhile upgrade, but he also felt that in timing and drive, the XPS2 is same or better than the Teddy XPS (in all other aspects, the TXPS is equal or better).

Can't say about NDX, but on both a HDX and nDAC (and indeed when used together), my experience was that the teddy xps is superficially more impressive, and indeed when one listens analytically, it remains so. However, over time, the strengths of the XPS2 become more apparent. The music (IMO) is simply more coherent and engaging, there being something almost "disinterested" sounding about the teddy xps in comparison, notwithstanding its technical merits.

Usual caveats apply however, this was my ears and my kit in my house. Ultimately, its the same conclusion as one generally reaches in any comparison of different bits of kit - they both have their better points and in reality, its a question of which set of compromises you prefer to accept.

Didn't have the opportunity to compare the Txps to an XPS2 (or DR version), however, I preferred it to an olive XPS, which I found a bit "flabby" in comparison. I certainly didn't find that the XPS was better in terms of timing or drive, probably the opposite in fact.

The preference also depends on the genre of music that one normally listen too.

I had not heard the new naim dr ps, but there are no used dr xps or dr 555ps sold in the classified so far.

Btw, the olive xps cannot be used to power the ndx.

When i first purchased my CDX2 , it was good but not quite LP12 territory. Adding the Txps was a monumental upgrade(everything sounded so much more open and analogue)

Unfortunately i sold my Txps(to Stemcor- lucky man :)) and went a different direction

After experimenting im finally back with Teddy XPS again(had to buy New)

Present source is CDS3/Txps - and its really really good - as i quoted to Teddy Pardo myself "Pavarotti is alive and in my living room"

Also purchased Teddy Supercap as well (fabulous stuff)

As Stemcor pointed out another major factor for choosing Teddy was no service required

I replaced my Naim XPS with a Teddy XPS simply because it sounded better! Much more energised and just as Naimesque. A win-win situation.

Thanks to all so far,
is anybody using the Teddy XPS specifically with the NDX or ND5XS, please?
Stefan

Yes with an NDX for the last 6 months. Great bit of kit. Bettered the XPS. I'd be interested to hear how the new DR XPS compares but I'm very happy with my TXPS and unlikely to change it. It's a bargain.

Sorry, Stefan, my experience was just with a Naim Dac.

Interesting though that the general view seems to be that, irrespective of the item being powered, the teddy XPS is preferred. Given that it's muuuuuuch cheaper and it has a very much smaller footprint, it might be worth trying one with an NDX.

I think you will love the txps. With the 282/dtc/200, you should hear a rather large improvement :)

The next upgrade will be the loudspeakers? ;)

Well, a month later, and I am still somewhat struggeling with the Teddy XPS on my ND5XS:
The TXPS gives more bass (sometimes too much), more clarity and substance, but without TXPS I think the ND5XS has a better soundstage (locating the musicians in the room) and perhaps the sound is a little more analytical, but I like this.

Certainly not the wow-effect I was imagining! Might it be possible that the TXPS is particularly good on the CDX2 (and HDX and DAC), but not really that suitable for the ND5XS? If so, why might this be so?
Best,
Stefan

Well, a month later, and I am still somewhat struggeling with the Teddy XPS on my ND5XS:
The TXPS gives more bass (sometimes too much), more clarity and substance, but without TXPS I think the ND5XS has a better soundstage (locating the musicians in the room) and perhaps the sound is a little more analytical, but I like this.

Certainly not the wow-effect I was imagining! Might it be possible that the TXPS is particularly good on the CDX2 (and HDX and DAC), but not really that suitable for the ND5XS? If so, why might this be so?
Best,
Stefan

When we originally demoed streamers we found the bare NDX and ND5SX a little dry, upfront and in-yer-face to say the least. We did not feel that the XP5XS helped out much on this issue with these issues with the ND5SX or NDX. Our temporary solution was to hold onto the nDAC we had intended to trade in against the streamer and run ND5XS/nDAC/XPS2.

I have no experience with the Teddy Pardo power supplies so can't comment on them. My feeling is that the ND5SX and NDX really require a lot of thought in terms of system matching. In our active setup they were just too much when plugged in "bare". Adding the nDAC really helped. Adding the nDAC and XPS2 was a huge step forwards (better than NDX/XPS2 by some margin). You might like to hold on to your TXPS and try a nDAC in your setup rather than buying a new p/s. At current second hand prices the nDAC is a very good buy.......

For info: our system is 52/SC, 2x250, SC2, SNAX0242, SL2. Sources are NDS/XPS2 (nDAC and ND5SX didn't last long) and fully loaded LP12 with ARO.

its just what you think. a psu only produces a clean constant voltage, differences there maybe . one important fact of any psu is isolation there fore positioning could be the small differences .power supplys for current hungary power amps is a different matter

+1

I had similar experience while using TDC.

Can't say about NDX, but on both a HDX and nDAC (and indeed when used together), my experience was that the teddy xps is superficially more impressive, and indeed when one listens analytically, it remains so. However, over time, the strengths of the XPS2 become more apparent. The music (IMO) is simply more coherent and engaging, there being something almost "disinterested" sounding about the teddy xps in comparison, notwithstanding its technical merits.

Usual caveats apply however, this was my ears and my kit in my house. Ultimately, its the same conclusion as one generally reaches in any comparison of different bits of kit - they both have their better points and in reality, its a question of which set of compromises you prefer to accept.

advertisement

Back