advertisement

Half-Space(ish) speakers - Close to rear wall

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
I'm looking for speakers designed to work in 'half-space', or pretty much up against the rear walls with the requirements below. The obvious choice is the Larsen 4, I've had a pair before and they are pretty much ideal for what I am after, just rare.
  • Designed to work up against or within ~10cm of rear walls
  • No taller than 80cm to fit under a window
  • Floorstanders ideally rather than standmounts requiring a seperate stand
  • Reasonably efficient, ideally 89-90dB or more (4-Ohm OK) which would be fine for my Decware Zen.
  • Budget, probably under £1k, ideally under £500 as will be mostly background listening.
  • Room is ~5m square and listening distance of just under 5m.
Not interested in another pair of ATCs (already have SCM10s in the other room) like the SCM7/HTS7 etc. From past experience, Vandersteen 1Cs worked OK near rear walls but less of a fan other than that, as did Rega Alya (and by extension possibly the Ela). I have had a pair of Klipsch Heresey and was not a fan otherwise they meet all the criteria other than being over budget now as well.
In my recent experience, the NS1000Ms work very well in this position, and overall sound/presentation but want something cheaper and smaller ideally. I do have my Frugelhorn Lite DIY speakers spare but they really need a subwoofer which I'd rather omit if possible.

I've searched and most options that come up are mostly sealed standmounts like Proac Tablette 10, Snell K/J (or Audionote equivelents), Rega R1/RS1, Linn Kan, Spendor S3/5R etc. Other than that, seen some comments about Shahinian Larc but over budget.

Two speakers I've searched for years to no avail is the Tannoy Dover or Caernarvon which would be perfect but rare as hens teeth!

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Linn Kan, Linn Sara, Naim SBL and Guru speakers would be on my shopping list in your situation.
Warning though : some of them are power hungry (Sara) and others might be costly (Guru) so shopping is advised !

Ok, how about the little Jordan Eikona in the transmission line cabinets? Can't remember what they were called but they had wide baffles and were only a few inches deep. There was a diy version.

Neat Majistras and Ministras are supposed to be designed to work close to walls (never heard them)

Neat Majistras and Ministras are supposed to be designed to work close to walls (never heard them)
These look interesting as they are designed as you say, I'll have a look although not been a fan at all of previous Neat speakers (Motive range and Petite mk2).

Really would prefer a floorstander over a standmount with seperate stands.

Ok, how about the little Jordan Eikona in the transmission line cabinets? Can't remember what they were called but they had wide baffles and were only a few inches deep. There was a diy version.
Yeah the 'VTL' as also sold by Wilmslow Audio. The cabinet itself is going to be too tall, really want something smaller that will sit under the window/curtains at that ~800mm height.

Is using your NS1000M's on shorter stands an option, or does that put them too far below listening axis?

I’ll bang my drum again for Totem Arros. I run a Saturn-R and Nait2 into them, and I could honestly live with this kit as my maim rig. The Totems also work very well 4-6 inches from the back wall. Only thing is that they are 85 cm tall…

Is using your NS1000M's on shorter stands an option, or does that put them too far below listening axis?
I could but yes, too low for ideal placement and to be honest, largely wasted as they are too good for just background music so would rather pass them on to someone who will use them to their potential.

I’ll bang my drum again for Totem Arros. I run a Saturn-R and Nait2 into them, and I could honestly live with this kit as my maim rig. The Totems also work very well 4-6 inches from the back wall. Only thing is that they are 85 cm tall…
Great speaker.

Yeah the 'VTL' as also sold by Wilmslow Audio. The cabinet itself is going to be too tall, really want something smaller that will sit under the window/curtains at that ~800mm height.
If you have a look at the Jordan website, the MLTL30 design looks easy to build and is about the right height. My other suggestion would've been a second hand Neat Motive SX, but you already know you don't like those.

advertisement

Back