advertisement

Grimm LS1 Keith Howard's Review

Grimm Audio's design parameters with the LS1'
Grimm Audio‘s LS1 was designed to show that one speaker can be both analytically precise and musically pleasing at the same time. When we developed the LS1, we had the professional user in mind. In a studio you need a speaker that is as linear as possible. ‚Voicing‘, as the practice of tuning a loudspeakers‘ response by ear is called, only masks abberations from linearity. The better way is to carefully measure the response with the best test gear available and use that as a guide. We tested the LS1 in a large anechoic room using a measurement microphone that we calibrated ourselves with a spark gap reference. In fact we perform part of these measurements as a standard routine during production, so the response of your LS1 loudspeakers has also been individually measured and corrected.
By integrating top quality digital signal processing, converters and amplifiers in one of the speakers‘ legs, we were able to apply technical strategies no one had used before. As a consequence, the LS1 is not just a loudspeaker, but a complete audio system that only needs an analog or digital line source to perform. CD players, phono stages,
music servers or computers all connect straight to the speaker.
The correction of the measured response is done digitally in DSP („Digital Signal Proces- sing“). Digital processing offers a much higher degree of correction then possible in the analog domain, and without the distortion associated with analog components. Digital sources are fed directly into the DSP, in case you like to listen to an analog source we included a very high quaity AD converter in the system. The DSP in the LS1 takes care of three important tasks: response correction of the drivers, cross-over between the drivers and phase correction of the cross-over. Let‘s look at the response correction first. And remarkably this means we first need to step back into the analog domain of acoustics. The acoustic behavior of a loudspeaker cannot be corrected electrically so it should be taken care of first.

Takenfrom the LS1 Manual,
Keith.

The Grimm LS1's are the best loudspeaker I have heard here to date, they are scintillating.
Keith.

Hi Keith

Thanks for sharing :) This is the best announcement you've made to date :cool:

Btw, i'll let Jack know :) as i am sure he'll find it scintillating :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The scintillating Grimm Audio LS1's have a RRP of Euros 15k for the two way version and
Euros 21k for the three way.
The LS1 includes three NCore amplifiers per channel, inbuilt A/D and D/A ,phase ,driver correction and crossovers are implemented via DSP, they are simply the most uncoloured full range speakers I have heard, just add a source of your choice.
Keith.

advertisement

Back