advertisement

Great budget amps...pick or add to this list.

Heed Elixir amp. It has very good MM phono stage, decent headphone output, better in every aspects than Rega Elex R or Naim 5i mk2.

Although I like Heed amplifiers, which basically are revised Ion Obelisk electronics as far as I know, I wouldn't say above statement, merely a different sound depends on entire setup.
All of these are outside budget from OP, so maybe irrelevant.

FWIW if I was simplifying/starting from scratch and buying new I’d almost certainly go active with something in the Genelec G Three through Neumann 310s or if I could afford it something nice from MEG.

I have a second hand/collector mindset so love the way I work with vintage kit etc (I very seldom lose any money, usually come out ahead, plus I really enjoy refurbishing stuff), but if I had to buy new and wanted value this is where I’d head. Me being me I’d add a nice valve preamp (actually keep my Verdier) as I love the mix of pro-audio and valves. It just works so well. I bet the new Genelecs, which have just attained a Stereophile Class A at about £800 each partnered with say a second-hand Conrad Johnson PV-whatever would really take some beating for the price, plus you get a phono stage and all the inputs you could ever want.

If the Yamaha receiver doesn't qualify the AS801 should still be in the mix.

Pretty sure Audiolab has a well rated integrated but not sure what model, haven't heard it.

I'd pick the Brio from your list, fair enough it's the only amp on your list I've heard ( I owned a Brio R) but I do rate it.

I'd pick the Brio from your list

Its certainly the amp that sounded best of the amps I've heard on that list.*

In fact Brio and IO in the right setup are some of the very best budget amps around today IMO.
A decent phonostage inside.
Fully supported a big plus for me.
Maybe not for headbangers which want bling and 200watt.
Not made in the far east end any doubt for me.

*Only listenend to Vena mk1 & Brio :p

Yes, despite my What-Hi-Fi style recommendation, I think Rega is an easy choice at anything like the budget (without going left field).

could also do the Iota VX SA3, Tangent Ampster BTii, MicroMega MyAmp, and the Outlaw Audio RR2160MkII.

I'll add another amplifier which I currently use, the Arcam SA20.

This was over £1000 until recently but can currently be had for well under £1k which, I appreciate, is slightly over the 600 quid stipulated by RM but is a small and worthwhile step up from the Audiolab, as it should be.

Solid build, nice H/P stage, great DAC and a backlit remote. It has a MM stage but I can't comment on whether it measures up or not. No streaming.

User reviews range from 'warm, detailed, punchy' to 'slightly bright' and everything in between ... as usual. All I can say is it sounded better with Stirling BBC Refs than with smaller Quad's. It's good with tiny B&W CM1's though.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back