advertisement

Graham LS3/5A v Stirling LS3/5A V3

vesuvian

pfm Member
Both designed by Derek Hughes, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's compared them.

I don't know which model was released first but the Stirling V3's crossover appears to be quite special (although I'd have to invest in good quality jumper cables if I bought it).

I wanted the opportunity to compare them, so I bought a pair of Graham Audio LS3/5as to compare
with my V3s.
The Grahams are good, very good indeed.
Their resolving power and spot-on LS3/5a midrange are perfect.
The bass is tight.
Superb speakers.

I’ve lived with the V3s since January 2020 and know them very well.
The Stirlings have all the attributes of the Grahams, but some extra things.
The bass is subjectivity deeper.
The midrange is LS3/5a, no doubt.
What the V3s have is almost holographic imaging, subtle layering of instruments and voices
within the music.
Once heard, I found I couldn’t go back.

The Falcon LS3/5as didn’t have the V3s attributes, but I suspect the Gold Badge ones
may well do.

Many thanks Martyn!

Arranging a home demo of the Stirlings might be difficult as they seem to be less popular than the Grahams and are made to order.

A phone call to Stirling themselves, perhaps?

Good idea.
Where are you based ?

Martyn.

Cumbria.

I've contacted Stirling Broadcast and they are going to try to arrange a home demo.

I would have expected the Falcons to be quite similar to the V3s as in his review in Stereophile the late Art Dudley praised the former's clearer/airier soundstage, relative to the Graham's.

I hope you choose what your ears tell you, not what a review does.
For years I was influenced by reviews.

Then, looking deeply into speaker theory & construction, I investigated and researched.
When I first heard the V3s, to my ears, they were ahead of any small speakers I’d had in my house.

Things move on, and Falcon have upgraded their crossovers.
I’d really love to hear the Gold Badge models.

Graham Audio have researched and tested.
They have produced some superb speakers, no doubt about that in my mind.

All these models have their own particular set of compromises, like any speaker.
Just choose the set which suits you...

I hope you choose what your ears tell you, not what a review does.

Oh, of course!

I'm not disputing either opinion, which only goes to show that you have to listen for yourself.

In any case, a speaker has to be musically/emotionally engaging for me before I even consider its soundstaging capabilities.

I would agree about a speaker being emotionally engaging.
My old Spendor BC1s draw you in to what you’re listening to.
Whether it’s music or a good radio play, I’m always held by the content.

Some well-reviewed speakers I’ve heard don’t do it for me at all.
They tend to be expensive, rather ‘flashy’ things with bright metalwork and prominent gold topped screws, etc.
I’ve wondered if the actual ‘look’ of the speakers is having an effect on how I hear the music.

Must ask my friend, who is a psychologist, if he has any thoughts.
Perhaps it’s my age, but I do prefer a wooden cabinets with matching brown or black grilles

I would agree about a speaker being emotionally engaging.
My old Spendor BC1s draw you in to what you’re listening to.
Whether it’s music or a good radio play, I’m always held by the content.

Some well-reviewed speakers I’ve heard don’t do it for me at all.
They tend to be expensive, rather ‘flashy’ things with bright metalwork and prominent gold topped screws, etc.
I’ve wondered if the actual ‘look’ of the speakers is having an effect on how I hear the music.

Must ask my friend, who is a psychologist, if he has any thoughts.
Perhaps it’s my age, but I do prefer a wooden cabinets with matching brown or black grilles
Glad to see I’m not alone thinking this way !

I wanted the opportunity to compare them, so I bought a pair of Graham Audio LS3/5as to compare
with my V3s.
The Grahams are good, very good indeed.
Their resolving power and spot-on LS3/5a midrange are perfect.
The bass is tight.
Superb speakers.

I’ve lived with the V3s since January 2020 and know them very well.
The Stirlings have all the attributes of the Grahams, but some extra things.
The bass is subjectivity deeper.
The midrange is LS3/5a, no doubt.
What the V3s have is almost holographic imaging, subtle layering of instruments and voices
within the music.
Once heard, I found I couldn’t go back.

Based on slightly different experience, I too found the Stirling V3s to be at the top of a very strong field. They lend an especially robust quality, a sense of physical presence to the music in addition to the recognized virtues the LS3/5a lineage. I had an extended home trial of the Graham LS3/5s, but not their LS3/5a. I have Harbeth P3ES-2s, still enjoy them after 15 years. Had some time with Proac Tab 10s, and recently came by Neat Motive SX3s for a somewhat different approach.

I didn’t have the benefit of side by side comparison between Graham LS3/5s with the others. They certainly offered insight deep into the mix, along with the admirable midrange, spot-on piano etc. Falcons not readily available to me - a definite gap in my sentimental education…

Of course, my tolerant wife, who plays a nice piano and has a good ear for music, finds no appreciable difference among any of these contenders, or those that went before…

advertisement

Back