advertisement

Good CD Player For Naim 112 and 150

Jferrhat

Hi everyone,

I've been building a naim system piece by piece for about a year....Currently I have a:

Naim 112 pre
Naim 150 power
Naim Ariva speakers

I'm looking for some input on what cd player to get.... Currently I'm a university student so I have restrictions on my budget, I'm looking for a good stepping stone that will last me for 5-6 years... At the moment I've been looking at the Rega Apollo r (brand new), Naim CDx2 (used), and Naim CD5 xs (used)... I realize there is a big price difference between the Rega and the Naim stuff though I'm attracted to the price of the Rega and the fact that it is a top loader... Would there be a BIG difference in sound between these 3? Out of the 3 which would be the best in regards to value?

Thanks.

Try out an Avondaled Arcam Alpha 5 CDP, you'll have to spend well into 4 figures to get something better.

I think the Naim players you mention will comfortably out perform the little Apollo, it's quite good but a budget player not in the same league.

I've had a ton of CD players and found the Naim ones to be most enjoyable when compared to those say from Linn, Meridian and Rega, of course there is some generalisation there.

I'm currently using a CD5X which is very good indeed.

A friend of mine is about to sell his CDX (Olive) with Naim service including new laser/mech. which sounds superb.

I'd also consider changing your pre amp to say a 122X, this will be a big improvement and then add a Flatcap 2X.

I started with a 122x/150x combo and it's difficult to beat for the price.

On a budget I'd recommend the 3.5 I still think it's one of the best naim CDP's, not particulary analytical but it has a nice warm analogue sound. The rega planet is also a very good budget CDP, you can pick one up for £200-300 quite easily.

I think the Naim players you mention will comfortably out perform the little Apollo, it's quite good but a budget player not in the same league.

I've had a ton of CD players and found the Naim ones to be most enjoyable when compared to those say from Linn, Meridian and Rega, of course there is some generalisation there.

I'm currently using a CD5X which is very good indeed.

A friend of mine is about to sell his CDX (Olive) with Naim service including new laser/mech. which sounds superb.

I'd also consider changing your pre amp to say a 122X, this will be a big improvement and then add a Flatcap 2X.
I can vouch for the CD5X owned one for a few years but had to sell due to redundancy.Its a very special player indeed.
Also an Exposure 2010 cd is very good if you can find one although not sure how it would sit with your Naim set up

Jferrhat,

I quote Gaius because having had a 112/150 combo I recall it as very good, with excellent timbre - imaging - positioning qualities but a little dark perhaps. So, a 2nd hand CDX, if you don't mind the difference in finish, would probably suit them wonderfully.

Max

I've never heard the CDS, but the CDI is still top dog for me, especially with the CDM9 pro mech. My dealer loaned me a CD5x as a potential upgrade to my (then) CDI and it was laughably inferior.

My first Naim system in 2004 was a CDX2 with a 115x and 150x
I have to say after several hours of listening to CD players from Rega and the lower level Naim players the CDX2 was simply at another level. I still have it with a NAC202/NAP200/S400 combo and XPS2.
At around £1300 used, I think they are stunning value and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. FWIW I listen to rock, electronica and jazz/blues. No classical.
Regards
Brendan

I would go for the CDX2 (had it for a while and a very good player it is)-some good bargins out there presently(£1000-£1100)
Place a WTD in the classifieds :rolleyes:

When funds permit add a secondhand Teddy Xps - and you will be blown away - monumental upgrade :D

The OP is a student with a restricted budget, people are quoting CDP's worth £1000's unless I've lost touch with reality that's a huge amount of money for a student to be borrowing in student loans to buy a CD spinner.

Look at the Rega Saturn - or Apollo - both great CD players through Naim amplification and IMO the best vfm bit of my kit. ( I have a Saturn)
Both now coming up 2nd hand and still decently priced new - they take50 hrs+ to burn in so try a well worn in dem model or it will sound very thin and boxed in.

Kevin

Hi everyone,

I've been building a naim system piece by piece for about a year....Currently I have a:

Naim 112 pre
Naim 150 power
Naim Ariva speakers

I'm looking for some input on what cd player to get.... Currently I'm a university student so I have restrictions on my budget, I'm looking for a good stepping stone that will last me for 5-6 years... At the moment I've been looking at the Rega Apollo r (brand new), Naim CDx2 (used), and Naim CD5 xs (used)... I realize there is a big price difference between the Rega and the Naim stuff though I'm attracted to the price of the Rega and the fact that it is a top loader... Would there be a BIG difference in sound between these 3? Out of the 3 which would be the best in regards to value?

Thanks.

The Apollo-R best value, no contest for your Nac 112 & budget, also the older Rega version will do

Make sure to have matching interconnect RCA/DIN(not sure the 112 has RCA in ?) and a decent speakercable

Agreed CDX & CD5x are excellent considered their s/h pricing however you will need a better preamp and maybe PSU before doing this jump, even so the Apollo-R is no slouch, it can be further upgraded with Rega DAC - plenty of expenses

A CDX would be superb in that setup. (and I'm not just saying that because I have one for sale in the classifieds)

Seriously, the CDX doesn't seem ever to have been as fashionable a used buy as the CDX2, and is much better value £ for sound as a result.

gabble

I agree, if you are ready to take the risk of mech failure, the CDI would be a great choice. I recently sold mine but on demo against unitiserve into naim dac, it really held its own in musicality, if not hifi terms. Plus if you ever want to sell on you will not take a loss.

The OP is a student with a restricted budget, people are quoting CDP's worth £1000's unless I've lost touch with reality that's a huge amount of money for a student to be borrowing in student loans to buy a CD spinner.

Well I wouldn't have made any assumptions on budget, but he did mention the CDX2 was under consideration.....

advertisement

Back