advertisement

Goat's Head Soup help

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
Any Stones discographers out there? I have 2 copies of this album (one of the first albums I ever bought when I was about 13) and am trying to figure what a 1973 UK original looks like compared to a reissue etc. If anyone can post up label details of what they believe to be an original that will be great.

Ta

Rich

I've got a A2/B3 copy: matt gf sleeve with a slight sheen to it, yellow label with stones 'lips' logo in red, two inserts (one double sided with info, the other a picture of a goat's head in some 'soup').

Tony.

Thanks Tony - I'm still not clear. Here's what I've got:-

My old copy which I think is an original vs (a gorgeous minty thing I bought today)

Gatefold sleeve vs (gatefold sleeve)
Spine has "Rolling Stones Records COC 59101 0598" vs ("Rolling Stones Records COC 59101") (i.e. no 0598 on minty one)
Inner sleeve with piccies of Billy Preston, Jimmy Miller et al on one side and song and muso credits etc on other side with all text centred on white background vs (card inner i.e. its not a sleeve with same piccies but song and muso credits laid out differently mostly left aligned with brown background)
Soup poster missing as I swapped it for Buzzcocks Orgasm Addict in 1977 vs (soup poster). I'm sure the original poster was bigger i.e. a fold out thing but may be remembering this wrong.
Yellow label with tongue to left of hole - cat no. at top then band name and album title; then song titles on bottom half with songwriting credits at the bottom vs (yellow label with only the tongue logo in the top half; remainder of credits in bottom half with songwriting credits next to each song)
Run-off groove has "ST-RS-732933-A" and "ST-RS-732934-F" vs (run-off grove has "Rolling Stones Records" hand written and COC59191A2 and COC59101B1 stamped)

Cheers

Rich

Mine falls somewhere between the two:
Cover spine: Rolling Stones Records COC 59101
Matrix: COC59191A2 and COC59101B3 stamped, Rolling Stones Records hand etched.
Two 12” inserts (i.e. goat soup does not fold out), no printed inner sleeve.

Are yours both definitely UK copies? ST-RS-732933 sounds like a US one to me.

Tony.

Aha - assuming I have remembered the gatefold poster wrong (likely) and you are right about the US matrices (v likely) then my old 70's original must have been a US import for some obscure reason (that had an inner sleeve instead of the card insert of the UK one) and this one I got today is a UK original. Works for me as the older one has a rip on the back of the gatefold - so off to the car boot pile for him! Both sound the same by the way with the new one being that bit tidier. Winner!

Thanks

Rich

L1000362_resize.jpg

L1000363_resize.jpg

L1000364_resize.jpg

L1000365_resize.jpg

L1000366_resize.jpg

L1000367_resize.jpg

Thanks MarkS - that's cleared it up - my old one was a US version with the muso pics insert as an inner sleeve. I suppose they possibly could have had the "soup" insert as a foldout poster. If only I could remember who I swapped it for Orgasm Addict with!

Ta

Rich

advertisement

Back