advertisement

Give me Black Metal!

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I have really been digging the utterly awesome Ukrainian Black Metal band Drudkh recently. Can anyone recommend me some similar noise?

(Check out their track 'Downfall of the Epoch' on Spotify to hear the sort of thing I'm after).

cheers

Older Ulver, maybe Empiriym, Taake, Dodheimsgard... it's been decades since I stopped listening to black metal and things evolved quite a lot since the late 90's. So many Burzum clones going emo but there are some interesting stuff, like Wolves in the Throne Room. I wouldn't call Sunn 0))) black metal, though...

Cheers all, something to be getting in with.

I’ve seen Sunn0)))) Live at least 4 times and I wouldn’t describe them as black metal, either.

Hello, check this master piece out "songs from the North swallow the sun". I am sure most Wammers will appreciated this album.
Just don't go taking the last vinyl as I still need to purchase it.

My typical BM listening doesn't quite centre on that style exactly (last thing I heard by them was Blood in Our Wells), and I can't check out the track mentioned right now, but...

Presumably if you've got as far as Drudkh you're aware of Burzum? If not, the album Hvis Lyset Tar Oss would probably be the most relevant. There's a UK band in a not entirely dissimilar vein, Winterfylleth. I've had my ups and downs with them, but they're well regarded for that sort of thing.

Personally I've been enjoying Stilla lately, some quite distinctive use of melody inherited from the quasi-BM project that preceded it, Bergraven. Could be worth at least a Spotify glance.

Swedens Opeth, first 5 cds.

Ignore Damnation,

Personal favs = 'My Arms Your Hearse' and 'Still Life'.

Swedens Opeth, first 5 cds.

Ignore Damnation,

Personal favs = 'My Arms Your Hearse' and 'Still Life'.

To my mind Opeth aren't really very similar to Drudkh. They're coming from Death Metal, progressive and folk rather than BM. As good as they sometimes are (I quite like the song Demon of The Fall from My Arms...), there's a tendency for people who aren't generally into properly heavy stuff to alight on them and think them typical when in fact they aren't.

Something like Khold is closer IMO, though as a matter of taste obviously others may disagree.

advertisement

Back