advertisement

Gannets Bempton cliffs

ron

Tweaker
ian.

i still don't understand how you are getting such detail in the feathers at a distance. i fail most of the time with my 90mm in the city wild.

if i get you a 1000mm lens can you take a shot for me that narrows in on the upper part of the last scene? the break-to-beak bit. that is sublime: colours, shapes, everything.

Reactions: ron
I think we saw a gannet when we were in the north of Scotland last month, it flew towards the window, and was really huge. We also had an eagle in the field next door trying to size up the lambs, I think he concluded that the wool would give him indigestion, and went away. Needless to say I didn't manage to photograph either of them!

Thanks , I always find it a challenge not getting highlight blowout on white feathers especially when the birds are in flight so always stick with full manual settings. I'm certainly no expert but will help best I can if needed . I've only been doing it a couple of years so still lots to learn .
So what's your main interests in photography ? I'd love a go at landscape photography so really need to read up on it , I just need to decide on a decent wide angle lens then look into the various filters

ian.

i still don't understand how you are getting such detail in the feathers at a distance. i fail most of the time with my 90mm in the city wild.

if i get you a 1000mm lens can you take a shot for me that narrows in on the upper part of the last scene? the break-to-beak bit. that is sublime: colours, shapes, everything.

I'm always needing a longer lens especially with some of these birds , these gannets was edges on a cliff so my 500mm on a fullframe needed a lot of cropping , a 1000mm would be very nice

Stunning images.
Why do gannets always look angry?
At least we now know where Kraftwerk got the inspiration for their stage wear - amazing feet!.

advertisement

Back