advertisement

Gale 401s -- failed project resurrected...

So now I have all the parts - time to crack on.

First up was the installation of the new pots.

So job No 1 is to remove the existing ones.

Taking the ceramic top off, removing the wiper, the shaft and the knob have all been described previously. So with that done you are left with a casing....

100_0954.jpg

A closer look reveals that there is no retaining mechanism on the inside of the casing.

100_0955.jpg

So it must be on the other side. But the Gale decal is in the way -so it has to come off.

Fortunately it was put in place with a non-permanent glue so it can be peeled back relatively easily - just so long as you take your time and are patient.

I found that using a scalpel and stanley blade worked well for the purpose.

100_0958.jpg

The glue was still fairly soft after all these years so you could peel back a little and then sever the strands of glue.

Eventually you get enough peeled back to reveal the countersunk hole and the retaining nut.

100_0959.jpg

Unscrew the nut - I used a needle nose pliers - the size was a bit strange, I couldn't find a socket in either metric or imperial to fit snugly, and the case just lifts straight off.

100_0960.jpg

Now time to test fit the new pot - fortunately it fits perfectly - so no need for any modifications. The same retaining method is used - a washer and a retaining nut.

100_0961.jpg

Both pots installed on the board - I did bend the terminal connectors upwards slightly - they were sitting very close to the board and bending them up just gives you a little more ease of access when soldering.

100_0962.jpg

Before soldering - it was out with the meter to establish the exact centre point of the sweep of the shaft. It being a 5 Ohm pot - I adjusted until I got a 2.5 reading and then fit the knobs with the alignment mark facing upwards.

100_0963.jpg

I was pleased with how close the replacement knobs looked compared to the originals.

Next up was to solder up the terminals, checking, double checking and triple checking that I was connecting the correct lead to the correct terminal. When I moved to the second crossover I noticed that there were no markings on the ceramic tops of these pots - no 1, 2 or B, so the first crossover was used a reference for the other.

100_0964.jpg

All that remained to be done was to install the missing 6.8 Cap that hadn't been shipped with the first lot.

100_0965.jpg

Then a tidy up, secure the pots to the board, replace the inductor retaining bolts, secure everything with cable ties and

100_0966.jpg

Voila! - 1 Crossover ready for installation.

Crossover 2 followed exactly the same procedure and now I was ready for the big "Lets put it all back together again" phase.

This part of the process has already been well documented here and on the Gale Audio site so I won't bore you with the details.

I found the easiest way to proceed was to get half a dozen 2x3's - 3 at each end and lay the cabinet on its back spanning between the timbers. This allows access to the inside and the underneath. I fit the crossover gasket, inserted the six retaining screws, which were nicely held in place by the gasket, and then I lowered the crossover onto the screws. Needless to remark a couple of screws fell out but I was able to get a screw into diagonal holes and that allowed positioning of the crossover exactly on the gasket. Once I had all six screws run in a couple of threads by hand I then turned the cabinet over to allow tightening of all six screws from the rear.

Re-filling the cabinets with the fibreglass was straightforward. Then it was a question of fitting all the driver gaskets in place and start re-soldering the driver cables to the appropriate driver making sure the polarity was exactly as it was prior to strip down.

The tweeter and Midrange were a bit fiddly - they didn't exactly leave a whole lot of cable to play with. The bass units were a doddle. A couple of tips -

Prior to installing the bass units - figure out exactly which four of the eight holes in the frame of the drivers the retaining screws will pass through. The new foam can partially cover some of the hole so rather than have the head of the screw tear at your new foam as you tighten it up (I had noticed this on the original foam surrounds) you can run the barrel of the soldering iron through the hole to gently burn off where the foam overlaps the hole.

Secondly make sure you clear the original solder off the bass driver terminals - there is a hole in the terminal and you can run the cable through the hole to hold it in place whilst soldering - it just makes like a tad easier.

And so eventually I ended up with.........

100_0967.jpg

Excuse the setting - my nice front room / listening room has been commandeered by the two girls as a temporary study while they prepare for exams in June......and I think I would rather stick my head in the proverbial Lions jaw rather than suggest to two irrational teenagers that they should shift all the books, laptops, paraphernalia and general mess to make room for my newly rebuilt speakers.

Being anxious to hear if all was well I set them up at one end of the kitchen, especially as they were now sitting proudly on the re-capped, re-painted stands.

So firstly I ran them really low - checking to make sure all drivers were functioning. Got through the first CD at this level - then tried a second at a slightly increased volume, then a third, fourth etc, fiddling with speaker location and direction.

So they have been running almost non-stop Saturday evening, all day Sunday, and this evening - hence the delay in posting.

.........and Yes - I have had many many of those "stupid Grin" moments! :D

Admittedly, initially I thought the upper ranges a little lacking in sparkle or detail - but that seems to have improved and tonight sounds a bit better than when I first started them up. Bass is exactly as I like it - tight but very present, not intrusive or overpowering but very well rounded.

The mid range musicality, which was always my abiding memory of the set up, is still there - perhaps a little more restrained than I remember. I'm not sure whether this is overly expectant memory or whether the re-built crossovers require a period of burn in as suggested on numerous sites.

This was a huge task for me to tackle - never having attempted anything remotely like this. But oh was it ever so worthwhile. Now I just want to take a break and soak up some good music - but hear it in a way I've missed ever so much.

Thanks again to one and all here and on the Gale Audio site for all the advice and guidance, especially Mr. Tibbs. Without your lead I'd never have attempted this and I would not be in the very happy position of having my music back. I owe you a pint or three - so if ever heading over this way be sure to let me know.

So they have been running almost non-stop Saturday evening, all day Sunday, and this evening - hence the delay in posting.

.........and Yes - I have had many many of those "stupid Grin" moments!

Excellent news.

Admittedly, initially I thought the upper ranges a little lacking in sparkle or detail - but that seems to have improved and tonight sounds a bit better than when I first started them up. Bass is exactly as I like it - tight but very present, not intrusive or overpowering but very well rounded.

Experiment a bit with the level controls if you feel some 'air and sparkle' is lacking for your taste. If the HF2000s are working properly then you should definitely not feel short changed in that department - it's just a matter of getting the balance right.

The mid range musicality, which was always my abiding memory of the set up, is still there - perhaps a little more restrained than I remember. I'm not sure whether this is overly expectant memory or whether the re-built crossovers require a period of burn in as suggested on numerous sites.

The mids do need a bit of time to come on song after a re-foam IME so don't be concerned about that. After about a month of regular use you should be hearing them in all their glory.

This was a huge task for me to tackle - never having attempted anything remotely like this. But oh was it ever so worthwhile. Now I just want to take a break and soak up some good music - but hear it in a way I've missed ever so much.

Well done, now just enjoy the result and let the music play :)

Mr Tibbs

It's pretty amazing the difference that a few days makes.

The speakers just seem to be getting better and better.

Different CDs from different recording companies make a BIG difference.

Overall I'm just starting to explore the music I've missed for so long again and its fun.

Lots of stuff out there that I've discovered over the last couple of years - played on anything from PC to iPod - now I just need to get decent recordings and listen to it properly.

Oh the joy.

The speakers just seem to be getting better and better.

Yep, and it's early days for your pair yet. Sitting here now listening to Starship on vinyl and Grace Slick is blowing me away with the amazing power of her truly unique voice, singing Babylon ...

Grace+Slick++The+Great+Society+gs.jpg

Time travel, courtesy of these ...

8894099803_89ffe70fd9_z.jpg

(for once the advertising hype is not an exaggeration)

Mr Tibbs

Delighted to say that the improvement in the music these speakers are producing increases on a weekly basis.

I had read about the "Burn In" process in relation to new components and am not qualified to to comment on the validity or otherwise. All I know is that each week as I move through my collection, albeit somewhat eclectic, everything from Irish, Breton and Greek traditional to classical to contemporary & crossover jazz to Spanish & Classical guitar etc. etc etc - well almost every night I get a new surprise.

I played a Christy Moore CD last night, an old 1991 Warner recording, and the vocals and tonality were just soo good. I've seen Christy live many times - this was akin to a private concert.

During the crossover re-build I had mentioned that

"I had decided to go with all Clarity caps with a Mundorf Supreme and Mundorf Mox resistors. The real decider on what to fit actually came down to customer service, responses to emails and relative proximity. Although much cheaper parts were available from the US - shipping was going to be as expensive as the parts."

And for thoise interested in the results - I have to say I have no problems with what the above components are doing. Is the above combination the last word - absolutely not but certainly any of the faults, flaws or shortcoming are probably nothing to do with the speakers and new components per se and more to do with the age & lack of service upgrades to other parts of the system.

To my ears the components that I've used appear to have no particular vices and as yet no particular standout qualities. That is not to say that they don't do a really admirable job - I'm absolutely loving having at least part of my system back up and running and yes I'm back buying more music and yes I'm listening late into the night. Proof of the pudding enough for me.

Having re-read what I just typed - perhaps there is one stand out area for me and that is vocals. Clear, lucid, well formed and most importantly - on the right tracks the hair does stand up on the back of my neck.

I just hope that at some stage in the future somebody reads through all the wonderfull posts by Mr Tibbs and others on the subject of 401 refurbisment and that rather than consigning such elegant and great sounding speakers to some scrapheap that they do as I have done - dive in and bring them back to life.

Once again - a huge thank you to Mr Tibbs - without your lead and your invaluable help and advice I'd never have taken the plunge.

PS I've started reading some of the other contributions by Mr Tibbs - Pre Amp Nirvana being my last read and wow - this is one very talented, intelligent and amazingingly innovative poster.

Thank you and I echo your call for more 401 restorations - they are just too fabulous to let them sit mute in some long forgotten corner of a garage or loft ...

Mr Tibbs

I have my 401a' s sounding fantastic being biamped by a pair of Usher 1.5 power amps.They sound best with one power amp driving the mids and tweeters and the other driving the bass units.Not so good in bridged mode.

I would advise against adding extra internal bracing.I tried that years ago and it sounds much worse.If it works don't try to fix it.Like adding bracing to Harbeths or the classic BBC designs-just not the right thing to do.The standard cabinet acoustic is one of their strengths.

So where do these:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/speakers-and-stands/other/auction-643180287.htm

Sit in the scheme of all things Gale? Labeled as GS401 but no shiny end covers.
I'm tempted but already have too many speakers in cupboards not doing anything.

Hi Simon,
These are the same inside as the chrome ended ones. The cabinet is different cosmetically, inside dimensions are the same. They will sound the same as the chrome ones. I am assuming they are "Made in England". There are some USA made ones which have a scrappy looking crossover but again, they work just the same. Although the model number on the speaker does not include the last letter, the models in the catalogue at the time were as follows
GS401A are chrome ended
GS401B are rare and have a flat grille
GS401C are the model you are looking at.

If there is one problem with 401s it's how they over complicated the model identification.

The chrome domes should have been 401C, not 401A!

The NZ 401 looks OK - except for the missing perforated metal grilles on the HF2000s. They do not sound right with the grilles missing IMO.

Mr Tibbs

Sadly the tweeter grilles for the T27 which was used on the LS3/5A are similar but not identical. It may be that they can be used but they do not have the little tunnel for the wires which the HF2000 requires.
Grilles for the HF2000 do very occasionally come up on eBay and I was lucky when I bought my original "A"s, they had become unstuck but were held in by the grille cloth.

On another note, I have "won" a pair of 402A and am picking them up tomorrow. They will need the usual attention I am sure but looking forward to it already.

The 402s look clean and not too much scratching on the chrome. These look like keepers and I will be ordering up a bunch of capacitors and foams next week. Has anyone successfully laundered the grille cloth? It would be nice to do it without the worry of the possibility of unsticking the plastic bar thing

Has anyone successfully laundered the grille cloth? It would be nice to do it without the worry of the possibility of unsticking the plastic bar thing

I would think dry cleaning would be the only safe option for the cloth.

Mr Tibbs

Many many many months ago what started out as:

This

100_0769.jpg

and this

100_0850.jpg

has now finally....

evolved into

THESE

100_1052.jpg

100_1051.jpg

100_1053.jpg

100_1050.jpg

Apologies for the poor pics - I'll really have to invest in a decent camera.

I finally have my system back up and running and sounding it's wonderful self again.

I can't thank all you guys enough, especially Mr. Tibbs, without your posts I would never have had the nerve to tackle the restoration project.

Its been great fun although sometimes perplexing, I've learnt along the way - but mostly I've learnt how little I know.

I've also made the big leap from owning a system that was prinicapally for my enjoyment to one that the family can and do enjoy by adding a DAC connecting a PC and giving everyone access. Most importantly, now that they've heard how music can and should sound, I now have my two teenage daughters arguing over who might inherit the system. :D

Over the coming weeks and months I'll make some mods to the PC set up (I'm really really amazed how good a well recorded piece dowloaded in FLAC format sounds) to make it a bit more user friendly and "living room" friendly.

I'm also hoping to add a couple of ancialliary speakers in the kitchen area fed from the same system. Anyone with ideas or suggestions as to what to look out for by way of well mannered 2nd hand / vintage bookshelf / small floor standing speakers - I'd be very happy to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks again to one and all who helped, contributed and offered suggestions along the way. Also thanks to those fishes from whom I purchased Power supplies , cables, NJ cards etc. etc.

The 12S, Nap 160 and Gale 401s sing again.

Good work Dublinia, because they are great looking and sounding speakers and importantly because you breathed new life into them, I predict they will be the only speakers you will ever want in your main system. I have recently refurbished two pairs and sadly they will have to be sold on, too many speakers already in the house and wish I could "lend" them to my two grown up kids.
Plumbing them into a modern distribution system is the best way to enjoy them more too!
Happy Listening!

Yeah, excellent result indeed.

Sources into mine range from a 45+YO all valve Quad tuner to iTunes via an Apple Airport Express into a Numerik DAC. It all sounds sublime :)

Mr Tibbs

advertisement

Back