advertisement

Future of CD; A worthless pile of plastic, or ... ?

Fair enough Tony. I don't buy CDs these days so I wasn't aware that Bryn Terfel's stuff was remaindered so much.
Well there's Bryn Terfel and and there's Bryn Terfel.

If you can find his met Ring cycle for 50p do let me know (don't think it's ever come out on cd has it?)

formbypc,

Is this because there's no easily-available ripping method for them, they're not on the streaming services in this form, and so the only source is the physical disc?.
SACD have shot up in value for several reasons — the runs were more limited than the equivalent CD release, the mastering was often better, they can have more than two channels, the SACD logo is not as ugly as the Compact Disc logo, …

But whatever the reasons, once they're out of print the prices tend to go up, sometimes a lot.

Joe

Give me a cd any day. They may not fetch so much on the 'bay these days but I remember when they were a real luxury state of the art expensive commodity in the eighties.

At 44/16 quality they beat an iTunes download (how much will they be worth in the future?) and come with their own hard copy and paperwork. Bonus!

I don't worry they're not fetching much in money these days. I use them to enjoy music. And when I'm dead and gone they'll make good slug repellants !

.....my humble Rotel cd player still had better dynamics, detail definition & drive than any option i tried.

.....SQ is my priority & i still find it much simpler placing a cd in the draw than searching through endless tracks on my laptop.....
I used to own a Rotel RCD-06 CD player with a single Wolfson WM-8742 DAC chip internally and as you said, it has ample dynamics, details, definition & drive that is indeed very enjoyable to listen to music. I like this CD player a lot and prefer it over older Rotel CD players with Burr Brown chips.

When I was visiting Australia, I picked up a Rotel RDD-06 DAC with a pair of Wolfson WM-8741 DAC chips internally. This particular DAC seems to have been made for the Japan domestic market and is not available elsewhere other than Australia and New Zealand. Must be some excess stocks spilled over there.

One fine day, I decided to try out the Rotel DAC in my main system and ...lo and behold, the AIFF tracks ripped from my CDs and playback using only basic iTunes from Mac Mini sound so much better than the playback of physical CDs through my Rotel CD player (to my own ears and IME). The dynamics, details, definition & drive are all there yet audibly better defined. The best part is music does not sound hard nor collapse during very complex passages. There is no looking back since and I have liberated my system of CD players.

It was just few days ago that I read that Barry Diament has purportedly espoused that "an uncompressed & lossless digital file from a correctly ripped CD, played on a good digital system, potentially sounds better than the CD itself when played on a typical CD transport". I experienced this myself and simply could not disagree with him.

Technology has advanced so fast that we no longer require a CD player in order to playback music on CDs and lesser demand for CDs has attributed their prices to drop by the days.

The future of CD is that I'll be buying loads of mint condition music for peanuts. It's a fantastic medium, very versatile. Rip it, compress it, whatever, it's still nice to have your favourites on hard copy,

so you cant rip/copy sacds. well well well. wonder why any one bothers with them
SACDs could actually be ripped using selected models of very early Sony Playstation 3 updated with a specific version of their firmware. The ISO files could then be playback through music players in computers plus external DACs capable of DSD playback.

SACDs are therefore a source of DSD music for computers and external DACS.

The future of CD is that I'll be buying loads of mint condition music for peanuts. It's a fantastic medium, very versatile. Rip it, compress it, whatever, it's still nice to have your favourites on hard copy,

Hear Hear to that. New music is still available on cd.

The music industry would be mad to give up on this way of selling music. If new music is to be promoted, then we need the option to have and to hold! And stick on the shelf to admire.

Well there's Bryn Terfel and and there's Bryn Terfel.

If you can find his met Ring cycle for 50p do let me know (don't think it's ever come out on cd has it?)

Indeed, and I'd certainly buy in the proper stuff! I can't remember what the ine I keep seeing is called, but it is a single-CD greatest hits kind of thing on DGG, I guess his equivalent to the Three Tenors CD on Decca which outnumbers all other CDs by those singers too!

In our local books/music charity shop, there's usually a good selection of opera CDs at reasonable prices along with the usual dross. The other one, just up the road, has realised that vinyl is 'in'; they have a couple of Lennon LPs (Walls & Bridges and Shaved Fish) at a mere £14.99 a pop.

Give me a cd any day. They may not fetch so much on the 'bay these days but I remember when they were a real luxury state of the art expensive commodity in the eighties.

At 44/16 quality they beat an iTunes download (how much will they be worth in the future?) and come with their own hard copy and paperwork. Bonus!

I don't worry they're not fetching much in money these days. I use them to enjoy music. And when I'm dead and gone they'll make good slug repellants !
Nothing? As you don't own them, you are just renting them, AFAIK.

I have been tempted to buy a Cambridge Audio Hard Drive network player, previously their top of the line CD player caught my eye, plug all my kit into the connection laden rear panel and use it as a DAC and have the benefit of a 'giant killer' CD player thrown into the bargain.

The one thing that keeps me with CD is the ease of use, from what I've seen just getting to your music on these network players requires you to go through several menus, when I see some limp-wristed idiot faffing about with a tablet swooping through their album art I despair.

Every one of my CDs has a number and CD Text, I put all my bands in groups and roughly know where they are, I just want to surf through my music in as timely manner as possible.

In a perfect world I could probably just leave my Sony 300 CD players on 'All Discs' and transfer my entire collection via toslink overnight but I doubt it's that simple, bet it would want me to name and arrange all kinds of stuff before I could add the next CD.

I have been tempted to buy a Cambridge Audio Hard Drive network player, previously their top of the line CD player caught my eye, plug all my kit into the connection laden rear panel and use it as a DAC and have the benefit of a 'giant killer' CD player thrown into the bargain.

The one thing that keeps me with CD is the ease of use, from what I've seen just getting to your music on these network players requires you to go through several menus, when I see some limp-wristed idiot faffing about with a tablet swooping through their album art I despair.

Every one of my CDs has a number and CD Text, I put all my bands in groups and roughly know where they are, I just want to surf through my music in as timely manner as possible.

In a perfect world I could probably just leave my Sony 300 CD players on 'All Discs' and transfer my entire collection via toslink overnight but I doubt it's that simple, bet it would want me to name and arrange all kinds of stuff before I could add the next CD.

yes the hardware cost requires some kind of display device which means more expense and and power use - all a bit complicated just to play some music? This is fine for dvds on my Media Center but it already has a tv screen.

But if you won't download, you will probably end up stuck in the musical past. There is a lot of new music that is only available as a download, especially from regions were CD manufacture is next to impossible. Like the Sahara, for example.

I do not listen to TRASH music i.e rock ,pop.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom