advertisement

Fuse rating question

Thetiminator

Painfully virile
I have something here that has a 1A fuse, just wondering if you stuck a 0.5A fuse in it, is the only issue that it will blow quicker if I got a spike or the likes? Or will it reduce the flow of the power going in and effect it's performance/reliability?
Cheers for any help.

It may just blow if there isn't enough headroom then you need a 1A. Fuses blow waaayy beyond the current rating so they can deal with variations and surges at switch on and the like. Don't go with a higher rating.

I have something here that has a 1A fuse, just wondering if you stuck a 0.5A fuse in it, is the only issue that it will blow quicker if I got a spike or the likes? Or will it reduce the flow of the power going in and effect it's performance/reliability?
Cheers for any help.
It will blow more quickly under a fault condition and might ‘nuisance blow’ occasionally if there are any voltage spikes or depending on any switch-on surge that the equipment naturally exhibits.

It will not affect the normal operation or performance of the equipment in any way.

But the question should be irrelevant, as why would you use anything other than the correct fuse?

Thanks guys.
It’s just I have an 0.5A SR Orange fuse knocking around doing nothing. I was just going to give it a try for 30 mins to see if it made a difference. If it did I’d rip it straight out and order the correct rating for it…

It very much depends on the type of fuse it is (what BS it is made to). This determines lots of factors in how and when any fuse blows, and not just for slow and fast-blow versions; there are almost countless types of fuse.

The manufacturer fitted a 1A fuse for a very good reason. A major limiting factor is often in-rush current, and most pieces of electrical gear have some kind of spike in current at switch-on. Without soft start circuits, most power amp's would have trully massive in-rush currents as they are essentially short-circuits for a moment at switch-on.

It very much depends on the type of fuse it is (what BS it is made to). This determines lots of factors in how and when any fuse blows, and not just for slow and fast-blow versions; there are almost countless types of fuse.
Answers on a postcard to Blue Peter, BBC Television Studios...:)

I wonder why manufacturers put fuse ratings on the back of their kit if ignoring it is a good idea?

Depending on the equipment a fuse of half the correct rating may well blow on switch on, if not quite probably in a few switch-ons as the underrated fuse is weakened by the excess surge.

If it doesn`t blow everything will sound exactly as before.

The manufacturer fitted a 1A fuse for a very good reason. A major limiting factor is often in-rush current, and most pieces of electrical gear have some kind of spike in current at switch-on.
I do wonder why s/s stuff (that I've had, anyway) tends to use fast-blow fuses and yet my valve amps use slow-blow to counter the switch-on surge. I know from painful experience that my mono's need slow-blow (as recommended in the manual anyway). Maybe sth do do with the tranny types ?

Thanks guys.
It’s just I have an 0.5A SR Orange fuse knocking around doing nothing. I was just going to give it a try for 30 mins to see if it made a difference. If it did I’d rip it straight out and order the correct rating for it…
After the tryout for 30 mins , cut it open tae see if it says Bussman, inside the Orange label...don't do this if it cost you more than £1.00...oh! wait...😥:cool:

Yeh I’ll skip it, I have a dCS Vivaldi on home dem so don’t want to risk anything with a £30k Dac that isn’t mine yet….
Thanks for all the help…

advertisement

Back