1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Fully Balanced Pre-Amp? Recs?

Discussion in 'audio' started by schneller, Oct 17, 2017.

1. schneller

schneller pfm Member

Does anyone have recommendations for a fully balanced pre-amp? With balanced (XLR) inputs and outputs? Does anything good exist that doesn't cost NAIM prices? Thanks.

2. RossB

RossB Member

EAR 912.

3. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Relatively affordable second hand - MFA Classic (2 xlr in 1 out plus conversion on the RCA ins)

More sustantially priced - Aesthetix Calypso (5 xlr in 2 out)

I have both and use the Aesthetix for its greater adjustability (and sq). The MFA is great for the price but lacks a little adjustability at 2am but if you only listen at moderate to loud levels you may never need anything more.

4. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

Meridian G02

5. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

Primare Pre32.

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

older model arc pre amps ? mfa seconded

7. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Auralic taurus in audio emotion preowned?

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Crumpets. I can hear crumpets.

Or a 502.

9. Lambros

Lambros pfm Member

Dynavector L300

10. Tonyb

Tonyb pfm Member

Wyred 4 Sound STP SE.

11. Alexh

Alexh pfm Member

ATC SCA2 if you can find a used one.

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

ARC REF3. Impeccable SQ and engineering, nor does it cost NAIM prices.

13. Tonyb

Tonyb pfm Member

14. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Discontinued Linn Klimax control would be my pick if budget was tight - can be had used for peanuts given the performance (Linn power amps are ordinary). Any of the ARC Ref pres are good but I’d look for an LS5 - may take a little finding. A used Ayer KX-R would be good too and will also see off a 552 (which was ordinary at £10k but at its current inflated price is just silly). Lots of options but these are the ones I know - you are right to insist on balanced but try to ensure you’re getting a fully differential device and not a few chips.

15. 33RPM

33RPM Reads lots of posts

I took a gamble in buying an Abrahamsen V3.0 up online. Easily bettered my previous Pardo, Naim, Avondale pre amps at a (me thinks) silly price. Balanced out for poweramp(s) and balanced CD in.

16. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Lyngdorf has both as well as coax and optical digital inputs.

Might be some about 2nd hand but i'll be keeping mine til it dies.

17. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

bd audio is seling their grandinote preomio pre amp , I had this on demo this year and its very very good indeed. only reason I did not buy one is it does not have htb and its black !!!

18. evand

evand pfm Member

Brilliant preamp, I’ll never sell mine.