advertisement

Fuji X10

Gaius

pfm Member
Anyone got any experience of this camera, can be had now for £200 which seems a good price.

Would be used for out and about stuff, buildings and some internal shots.

Like the idea of a viewfinder as well as a screen.

Anything else I should consider.

TIA. :)

I bought one when it was on offer - Eguth uses one

Set at P & 6mp with 400% DR is the usual advice

I'm still getting used to it but it is excellent value at £200

manual can be set for street - Not many tutorials on how to use it - See Fuji Guys 3 part episode videos

viewfinder is ok for long shots but beware parallax off set on close up - you learn to adjust

Have Fun that's lot of helpful information, much appreciated and thank you for taking the trouble.

Seems like a great little camera.

I had one for a while, did not get on with it at all.
Too many various EXR settings to get the best out of it, the lens was not that sharp and NR has to be completely off otherwise you just get mush in any area of detail.
Nicely made though, and small but thats about all I can say is good about it.
The early versions of the X10 (like I had) had the 'blooming' issues with burnt light areas.
The Viewfinder is useless too, too small and displays no information either.

I have an X20 - bought recently and extremely pleased with it. Also very versatile and easy to handle - nice retro feel. Generally very well regarded - go for an X20 rather than an X10 - you can find them for around £250 just now.

I suppose the best thing is try both in a shop - then compare with what else is available
the XF1 is similar & still available much cheaper, more pocketable, but no viewfinder

I had one for a while, did not get on with it at all.
Too many various EXR settings to get the best out of it, the lens was not that sharp and NR has to be completely off otherwise you just get mush in any area of detail.
Nicely made though, and small but thats about all I can say is good about it.
The early versions of the X10 (like I had) had the 'blooming' issues with burnt light areas.
The Viewfinder is useless too, too small and displays no information either.

Yep - had one for a while. Lovely looking little camera and agree with most of what Hopps says - it's a quirky, frustrating thing. The Fuji XF1 is bought for the other half when it was priced at £129 is much better.

I'd take a Panasonic LX7 instead of the X10.

It has been suggested to me I raised the bar quite a lot and get the forth coming Pana Lumix DMC- LX100, it does look very good indeed.

It looks a lovely camera but way out of my price range (as was the X10 when it launched)

You won't gain in lens range but will in the larger sensor & a few more dial controls & it beats the newer X30 in spec - I need to see more sample photos to assess IQ

Of course there are better than the X10 / even the X20 but within their current price range they deserve a close look. People have re-bought the X10 after the X20. As you can see some swear by the X10, whereas others swear at it.

I have one. In many ways it's an old-fashioned camera, in that, if you don't understand the basics, leaving it in fully automatic mode will not reveal the results of which it is capable.

Yes, wide open, I found the lens a touch soft. Solution: stop it down to f8, then it's fine. Film speed setting seems best on ASA 400, but the pay-off is you'll need to use a tripod in low light. Shooting into the sun means you have to compensate of course, but the images can be slightly overexposed. This isn't helped because the viewfinder doesn't give you any information, including whether you've selected exposure compensation. Parallex is something you have to work out for yourself, but having a viewfinder is a brilliant plus.

There are quibbles. I found myself accidentally taking multiple exposures simple because it's easy to select this when trying to alter flash settings. The flash itself isn't brilliant, but then it rarely is. The zoom range isn't brilliant, but it forces you back into framing your photos with care.

Nevertheless, for the price - I paid 199€ - there's not a camera that comes close.

I rarely use flash
On internal shots What I found with flash set -0.7 use a low shutter speed 1- 2 secs & the result is gorgeous - needs a tripod or leave on surface both at 2 sec timer

May well apply to x10 but I find the image stabilization on my x20 allows me to handhold at low speeds and when running silent (no flash and no flashing lights & no sound) I can catch friends & family unaware and sometimes without the aperture being set on f2.8!

All good stuff, have fun with your camera.

If the x10 suits you then at the current price I believe it's a good option. I like it because it makes taking pictures enjoyable, and the OOC jpegs are pretty good. I've never bothered with RAW & having only stopped using film in the last couple of years it has proved a satisfying way of getting into digital photography

It has compromises like any camera, but it has re-kindled my interest in photography & I guess that is as good a result as any

15502890282_088bf7082c_c.jpg

14265165511_ff60902f4d_c.jpg

15316522440_4d88a00073_c.jpg

15500096451_15cb5948d8_c.jpg

I absolutely love my Fuji X10. So far as I am concerned it is ideal for the sort of candid camera photography I usually go in for. When I see something I want to take I whip out the camera and usually have no time to do anything other than choose between EXR setting or leaving it on EXR.

Must I mention that I am against photos being too sharp, and for that reason have not bought a Fuji X100 or any camera that will routinely produce anything sharper than the X10 lens. To my way of thinking, reality is just not that sharp.

advertisement

Back