advertisement

FTTP broadband - what speed do you really need?

Ponty

pfm Member
Checking out the broadband for the new place we’re moving to, which has FTTP. BT says it’s 900MB. That seems massive to me compared with the current 50MB over 4G (landline is about 4MB).

The question is, what do I really need? If I go for 100MB or 200 MB (much cheaper than 900MB) am I really going to notice any difference with music streaming / Netflix etc?

No - would expect no difference whatsoever with streaming services. 100Mb/s should be enough for at least 10-20 simultaneous HD streaming channels. You should get shorter download times for downloads of large files (e.g. hi-res music downloads) if that is important to you, but that should be the only difference.

Before a fairly recent move I had Virgin fibre100mb, now have Sky through telephone wire around 38mb. Not noticed any difference. I regularly watch Netflix, Prime, Apple+ and Disney.

My FTTP's potentially 300mb, & we started with that, thinking it'd be great. However, it was quite expensive, so we thought we'd try the 38mb. Result, no difference; still stream 4K video, no noticeable difference in download speeds for music files. I also notice that when I check speed it's never less than 38mb, and often 60mb plus.

The first thing I realised when I got fast broadband was that several of my devices didn't have 5g capability and the second thing was that even for those that did, they still defaulted to 2g at more than a certain distance from the router. Unless you're in the habit of uploading or downloading enormous audio or av files, you don't need 900mb.

we have 500mb, but need external access to our network. We use up alot of that bandwidth - with 10 cameras and other devices.

Interesting insights, thanks. I think 100MB will be plenty. Seems 900MB capability is pretty reasonable, good to know it’s futureproofed. Vodafone broadband seem to offer good deals, anyone have any experience?

Interesting insights, thanks. I think 100MB will be plenty. Seems 900MB capability is pretty reasonable, good to know it’s futureproofed. Vodafone broadband seem to offer good deals, anyone have any experience?

The Daughter has Vodafone broadband and has no problems.

We are in the process of swapping to Vodafone from Virgin. Set up is due in about 8 days. We shall soon find out.

I think our contract is £18 a month - 2 yrs. Via Uswitch

Vodafone superfast 1 average 38mbps

We have 150mb (current Openreach product is now sold as 100). Night and day vs the 2mb copper previously available before the last mile was finally upgraded. It is asynchronous, which made sense before the home working revolution - that said I’ve never had any issues on video calls.

For me the limitation now is the reliability of the wifi, rather than the broadband. I’m now working on how I get ethernet to all the right places around the house.

Don't think you need to pay for 900. I have FTTC which is giving me 45 and that is more than adequate for my needs, UHD video on demand and HD streaming without any hiccups.

Broadband and 5g/4g have no relationship here, it will be wifi speed on your AP and phone.

I think bandwidth is the thing. We have 460meg and 4 people at it most of the time, I doubt we are touching a quarter of it mostly, but hit a download on steam and that will saturate the line. It will then become a case of how quickly that finishes whilst allowing others to do stuff, I would imagine at say 38meg other users will notice when someone is downloading.

How many are you?

A couple of kids gaming or watching TV, security cameras etc. All adds up.

If it were just one person a reliable 30Meg would do.

Surely the server at the other end will often be the cause of any delays? 37mbps here, watching or downloading UHD content is faultless, and other activity continues. Just the two of us.
Yeah, I reckon 100mbps will be safe for almost all families.

We came down to a choice of Vodafone or BT over wire. Vodafone was £10 a month cheaper then I read reviews. The inability to get support was he clincher. BT answer really fast and their staff are well trained. Speed is 50-60 which seems more than adequate.

https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/vodafone-broadband/reviews/

They’re all hopeless when you try to leave- Virgin were a nightmare, Three not much better- I ended up having to send a letter of cancellation recorded delivery after sitting for 45 min waiting for someone to pick up the phone only to have the call cut at their end, twice.

It’s just the 2 of us. The most it’ll have to handle will be simultaneous Zoom / Teams plus HD TV etc. No gaming requirement. It’s good to know it’s futureproofed but you do have to wonder what else people will be doing on the damn thing?!

I think speed has become a bit of a fetish.

Until last week I was on a BT FTTC 36/6 BB plus PAYG phone package @ £27/99 a month, which is perfectly adequate for two people for TV and Zoom calls over four devices. There is no point in my taking a faster package as my line will not support anything over about 40 meg. I've just swapped over to Plusnet for exactly the same package with new router for £22 month. Plusnet customer support, over the telephone and their website, seems every bit as good as BT, and they do the same mobile and TV deals, if you want that sort of thing, as BT (which they are of course).

We've got fibre to the door at our main house (500Mbps at the moment but 900MBps is also available) and the standard fibre via the phone line at our cottage. With just the two of us in the house you don't really notice a difference, even with streaming. When the kids and their partners are also in the house then you do notice a difference.

The other area I notice a difference is downloading large files - e.g. games via Steam.

It’s just the 2 of us. The most it’ll have to handle will be simultaneous Zoom / Teams plus HD TV etc. No gaming requirement. It’s good to know it’s futureproofed but you do have to wonder what else people will be doing on the damn thing?!
Downloading ISOs, DSD, Games, Torrents etc the Yoof can chew through data like a farmyard rat

advertisement

Back