advertisement

Four Green Fields

Dirty old Town was written by Ewan Maccoll (born James Henry Miller, English) about Salford in Manchester.

Salford is not in Manchester. It is a city in it's own rights separated by the River Irwell.
Please get your facts right before correcting others.

ooooooooohhhhhhh!

The Metropolitan Borough of Salford, Greater Manchester then?

Salford is not in Manchester. It is a city in its own right separated by the River Irwell.

Indeed it is. I don't know if it was ever granted a city charter, but it qualifies as a city by virtue of having an Anglican cathedral. Rather like St. David's in Pembrokeshire, which is a tiny, remote place, but has a huge cathedral, and was always described as Britain's smallest city. Actually, though, St. David's was granted a city charter by the Queen a few years ago.

On the subject of the River Irwell, I recall crossing a bridge over that river in the sixties, when going to visit a record shop specializing in jazz on the Salford side. My recollection is that it might have been called Barry's Record Rendezvous, but maybe I remembered that incorrectly.

Indeed it is. I don't know if it was ever granted a city charter, but it qualifies as a city by virtue of having an Anglican cathedral. .

Ahem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salford_Cathedral

The Cathedral Church of St. John the Evangelist, usually known as Salford Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the City of Salford in Greater Manchester, England. Located on Chapel Street, Salford, not far from Manchester city centre, it is the seat of the Bishop of Salford and mother church of the Diocese of Salford.

Salford became a city in 1926.

advertisement

Back