advertisement

for the photographers...

bottleneck

pfm Member
just curious, I'm a complete amateur at photos.

what do the more serious camera users say are the most common mistakes made by the ignorant masses, and how do you fix them easily?

(hoping to pick up 1 or 2 handy hints!)

bottleneck said:
just curious, I'm a complete amateur at photos.

what do the more serious camera users say are the most common mistakes made by the ignorant masses, and how do you fix them easily?

My most common mistake is to think there's film in the camera when there isn't. This risk is eliminated by digital cameras.

the biggest mistake is to include too many elements in the pictures. most novices stand too far away from the subject.

vuk.

On the film camera, taking photos with the lenscap on (it's a rangefinder, so you don't see that the lenscap is on). Done this a few times. On digital, it's accidentally deleting the wrong image. WIth compact cameras, it's generally the finger-over-the-lens or forgetting to focus & recompose (and ending up with the subject out of focus and the background in focus).

Something I am learning is to avoid flash where ever possible, this fixes red eye as well ;)

Try not to bother with arty background out of focus type shots if your lens is not up to bokeh (Background blurryness)

And under no circumstances start a thread on light meters, it will only land in tears.

The first rule is there are no rules. Just take a lot more photos that you think you should (esp. if you have a digi), and try to learn what about each picture you like/dislike. Develop your own sensibility, since you will most likely be the one appreciating the photos. You'll understand a lot more about what you can control in a photo if you start with a manual focus camera.

Dan

Agree with vuk and would add:

Move your feet not your lens: you'll hardly ever get a good picture from the spot you happen to be standing in when you pull out your camera.

And ruthless editing. Through away or delete ALL your bad pictures leaving only the best.

A very common mistake by amateurs: Make sure your sandy arse shots of a blonde on a beach are not utterly ruined by doughnut bokeh.

Joe

I can't think of any smart arse answers, so here's what I'd suggest:

Exposure - learn the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO speed.

Composition - fill the frame with your subject for starters.

Invest in a good single lens reflex (SLR) camera, for either film or digital. Digital is far more accessible these days and offers tremendous versatility and close to instantaneous results, leading to speedy lessons about the above.

A fixed focal length (prime) lens is better than a variable focal length (zoom) lens at virtually any price point. You can't go wrong starting with a 50mm f1.7 or better lens.

Take plenty of pictures.

James

Ignoring the elephant.

You have to make a conscious effort to see everything that's in the frame, not just the subject that you're so interested in. Classics include ignoring the drain-pipe growing out of your subject's head on the wall behind them.:)

Small red objects in a predominantly green or blue picture can throw your carefully composed arrangement, because red tends to draw the eye strongly. I've taken loads of pictures of a field full of classic cars that are ruined by some prat in a bright red coat.

Having more than one subject is another good one; having a person in the foreground with a really interesting background doesn't make for a good picture. In fact, that's a good point. You have to decide if you're taking a snap for the family records, in which case you're usually talking person plus situation. Or you're taking a picture, in which case composition is the most important thing.

Tips about composition: Try to position your subject on what are called the major thirds. If you took a ruler and drew lines down and across the picture at one thirds intervals, where the lines intersect is a major third. An object on one of these points should jump out.

In a landscape, don't have the horizon half-way up the picture. Either the main subject is the land or its the sky, so have more of the main one.

The above should have so tied you up in knots that you'll never take another picture, you'll be so busy composing and worrying about the exposure and so on. :D It takes time for your brain to develop a 'picture mode' where everything you see is processed to see if its a good picture. Then you'll realise how many great pictures you'll see when you don't have your camera!:)

Greg said:
It has the strength of composition you would only normally find in a painting. Excellent.

It needs a proper title, like an allegorical painting. I suggest:

'The casting-out of Mick Parry from PFM'

These look like the photos in the portfolio David Hemmings put together in 'Blow-up'. I wonder if this chap has inadvertently snapped a murder taking place?

advertisement

Back