For macro....

David F

pfm Member
Hi

For macro which is best;

1) use 35mm primary (and crop)

or

2) 105mm telephoto with macro facility

Being a bit pedantic with is but it always was going to be a learning curve so any info appreciated.

The camera is D200 Nikon as you'll have gathered by now probably.

Budget 150 to 200 (so i'm told:D)

Depends, but the 105 is where I would start, gives you a better working distance.

I bought a Nikkor 105mm macro a year or so ago, secondhand for £250 I think, not the latest version but AF-D. It's a truly remarkable lens and I wouldn't want to part with it now – pin sharp with fabulous out of focus blur. The downside is it's a heavy chunk of brass and metal, fine on the camera but a pain in the bag!

Here's a hand-held pic I shot with it last week:

_AWL5415a.jpg

Andrew

As suggested a 105, tripod and not too much wind should serve you well. You could at a pince uses reversing rings and normal focal length lens abut that is the hard way of doing things.

Wouldn't a standard 50mm be closer to the 105? On a DX sensor it'd equal a 75mm lens?

35mm will focus down to 0.3m, 50mm 0.45m.

Wouldn't a standard 50mm be closer to the 105? On a DX sensor it'd equal a 75mm lens?

35mm will focus down to 0.3m, 50mm 0.45m.

use either a 50 or a 35 and you will get a 10/15 crop on a DX sensor. 35 becomes 50 and a bit, 50 becomes 75 and 105 becomes 157.5

I don't know too many 35mm lens with close focus capability. You can use a 35mm AIS lens with one of the Nikon extension tubes to achieve the same effect. for instance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bugeyed_g/3146138230/

cliffpatte, please give an arachnid warning with your links (from behind the settee)

The distances I quoted were from the lens body , they usually focus a bit closer.

advertisement

Back