advertisement

Focal Stellia

SteveS1

I heard that, pardon?
Anyone owned a pair? Going through the reviews and youtube stuff you get anything from a bass boosted waste of money, to the usual best thing since sliced bread. Even the more favourable suggest a little EQ which seems a bit disappointing for $3k headphones. Perhaps there is no such thing as a closed back that doesn’t benefit from some EQ.

I’ve owned Elegia and Celestee, the former sounded revealing but a bit oddly balanced out of the box, however they take EQ really well and could be made to sound very good indeed especially for the money they now go for. The Celestee has a more even balance and sounds better than Elegia without EQ, but they are a little veiled which again can be corrected with some small EQ adjustment. I’m thinking of stopping there but have wondered about the Stellia now that you see the occasional pair for a lot less than RRP.

No, I happily use HD600s. They are great but it’s the old conundrum, if I have the kind of environment quiet enough for open backs, I’d be using my speakers. So closed backs are more important to me for the isolation and not wanting to disturb others.

Reactions: ACM
Very nice, and a bargain on the s/h market. I nearly bought a pair but ended up with the Utopias. They are smoother than the Utopias but still retain a good deal of resolution and detail. They don't grab you like the Utopias (which are more resolving); rather, they tend to slowly draw you in. Quite beguiling at times. They generally require good partnering equipment to sound their best - SS being preferred to tubes, though some users use them with SS-sounding tube amps. The Focal wires aren't great btw and the headband can mark easily over time which is a shame. Usual high quality Focal packaging as well. A warranty would be advisable if you go the s/h route. Plenty of feedback on Head-Fi.

Very nice, and a bargain on the s/h market. I nearly bought a pair but ended up with the Utopias. They are smoother than the Utopias but still retain a good deal of resolution and detail. They don't grab you like the Utopias (which are more resolving); rather, they tend to slowly draw you in. Quite beguiling at times. They generally require good partnering equipment to sound their best - SS being preferred to tubes, though some users use them with SS-sounding tube amps. The Focal wires aren't great btw and the headband can mark easily over time which is a shame. Usual high quality Focal packaging as well. A warranty would be advisable if you go the s/h route. Plenty of feedback on Head-Fi.

Oh thanks for the heads up on warranty - glad I looked a bit further though, as the issue seems to be significant even with Utopias. Have to say that’s not great is it, at that price level?

Oh thanks for the heads up on warranty - glad I looked a bit further though, as the issue seems to be significant even with Utopias. Have to say that’s not great is it, at that price level?

One of the drivers on my Utopias went a bit crazy. The repair process went fairly smoothly (though it took a bit of time), however, Focal aren't too keen on direct customer contact (they rely on their dealers) so purchasing any expensive Focal s/h w/o a warranty might be problematic should something go wrong. That said, the Stelias are pretty reliable from what I read (and FWIW Focal improved driver reliability on the newer models). The main issue with the Stellias is the wear on the headband. It can be mitigated but for the money it shouldn't happen (leather, eh). I would still try to arrange a Stellia dem (with a dealer). They are very good if you're into their sound.

Focal aren't too keen on direct customer contact (they rely on their dealers
When my Elears failed in one driver shortly after buying used, I found, by research, that an ealy batch had been faulty or at least suspect because of a factory 'glitch'. The importing agents were fantastic and repaired them almost overnight. It was my R.M. insured cost outward but no other charge. Helpful chap with a sense of humour * and exemplary service.

* I handed the cans to my wife, sitting on the sofa beside me, and said "listen to that !". When I put them back on my head only one driver was working. You can imagine his comments !!!!!! Fist time I'd ever had cans fail but at least the faulty batch was documents (on Head-Fi???)

When my Elears failed in one driver shortly after buying used, I found, by research, that an ealy batch had been faulty or at least suspect because of a factory 'glitch'. The importing agents were fantastic and repaired them almost overnight. It was my R.M. insured cost outward but no other charge. Helpful chap with a sense of humour * and exemplary service.

* I handed the cans to my wife, sitting on the sofa beside me, and said "listen to that !". When I put them back on my head only one driver was working. You can imagine his comments !!!!!! Fist time I'd ever had cans fail but at least the faulty batch was documents (on Head-Fi???)

Seems the driver issues are more widespread then. To be fair to Focal, they added a 5-year warrant to the OG Utopia after the understandable outrage from customers, most of whom frequent Head-Fi.

Did you ask your wife to listen to the repaired headphones?

I demo’d a pair at a dealer (Chord TT2 source). They did not impress me particularly, which was a surprise. I would definitely try to get a demo before buying.

I demo’d a pair at a dealer (Chord TT2 source). They did not impress me particularly, which was a surprise. I would definitely try to get a demo before buying.

Interesting Andrew, do you have a favourite closed back for reference?

Interesting Andrew, do you have a favourite closed back for reference?
At the time I demo’d the Stellias I also tried Senheiser HD820S (also into TT2). These were fantastic. They are only the closed back I have tried that don’t sound ‘closed’ (in other words the soundstage convincingly expands in 3D with the HD-820S, less so with other closed back).

If I was to buy closed back cans it would be the 820S, but I decided to stay with my HD800S.

Obviously personal taste is a factor so I would recommend trying both. If buying Focal I would probably go for Elegias since these are very close in sound to Stellia but much better value.

At the time I demo’d the Stellias I also tried Senheiser HD820S (also into TT2). These were fantastic. They are only the closed back I have tried that don’t sound ‘closed’ (in other words the soundstage convincingly expands in 3D with the HD-820S, less so with other closed back).

If I was to buy closed back cans it would be the 820S, but I decided to stay with my HD800S.

Obviously personal taste is a factor so I would recommend trying both. If buying Focal I would probably go for Elegias since these are very close in sound to Stellia but much better value.

Thanks I tried the HD800 then HD800S, which I found impressively detailed and wide but could never quite go with their tonal balance (without EQ) so kept my HD600s, which although they don’t do width, have a tonal balance I prefer.

I’ve come to realise quite why the 600s have been the classics they have been, they just seem understated perhaps but never tiring or distracting.

I agree re-the Elegia, which can be EQ’d very nicely to remove a slightly eccentric stock balance and they do detail and ‘wide’ very well. I was wondering if the drivers on the Stellia took what is possible with those up a level.

Hi Steve,
Stella user here! In Conjunction with Naim Atom HE.
I think they’re superb. A clear step up from the Celestees.
I needed close-back due to being used in proximity of other people, & having heard the Utopias, I did slightly prefer them but not enough to warrant the extra cost.
I don’t feel the need for any EQ with them even with the facilities Roon offers.
Comfortable, great build quality & sound, without any particular weaknesses in my opinion.
Bass, vocals, detail, clarity, definition, imaging, all superb.
However, Very personal thing, headphone use.
Bearing the cost in mind, definitely a reasonable home demo needed.

I needed close-back due to being used in proximity of other people, & having heard the Utopias, I did slightly prefer them but not enough to warrant the extra cost.
As the Utopias are open backed, not sure how comparative they'd be to closed back Focals. The presentational difference would, I'd think, skew any observations.. Personally, I always use open backed for greater 'air' but any extraneous noise (but I can't hear it !!!!) is no problem here.

As the Utopias are open backed, not sure how comparative they'd be to closed back Focals. The presentational difference would, I'd think, skew any observations..
yes I agree, open vs closed comparisons will likely be a bit skewed due to the very design.
However, the Stella’s don’t really have that shut in/narrow soundstage that some people dislike with most closed backs.
To me, they are wide enough, but not unnaturally so.
It was mainly a comparison of the best closed vs the best of the open back that I could get hold of.
Both superb, as they should be for the £££.
I can see why some would go for the Utopias, but me…. I’m 100% content with the Stellias.

yes I agree, open vs closed comparisons will likely be a bit skewed due to the very design.
However, the Stella’s don’t really have that shut in/narrow soundstage that some people dislike with most closed backs.
To me, they are wide enough, but not unnaturally so.
It was mainly a comparison of the best closed vs the best of the open back that I could get hold of.
Both superb, as they should be for the £££.
I can see why some would go for the Utopias, but me…. I’m 100% content with the Stellias.

Hi Matt, look forward to seeing you in March. Look forward to trying them.

advertisement

Back