advertisement

Flashing around shared chimney?

the caretaker

pfm Member
My neighbour informed me they are replacing their roof tiles and asked me can I stump up some money to pay for the new flashing around our shared chimney?
How does this work? I would have thought the roofer would do both sides of the flashing anyway or can they replace half a flashing? ( Neighbours side ) And if they can replace half a flashing? Might that affect my flashing? Thanks

If they're replacing the lead "back gutter" and "front apron" then those will likely be single pieces, across both properties.
The side step flashings on the neighbours side are obviously separate to your half of the chimney.

Offer materials and time just to do the flashing your side. Speak to the roofer out of earshot of the neighbour.
Maybe £100-150?
A huge chunk of the total cost will be access - scaffolding, which is in your neighbour's bill.

Yes one side could be replaced - butcher job, best do the lot.

Spoken to personally,you MIGHT even find that the roofer says "Ah, don't worry about it, I've got to do it......". If so slip him a few beers or beer tokens.

Just don't complain about the rain of crap, depending on wind, that will inevitably come down on your side if the whole roof is coming off.

my neighbour just had a new roof, no shared chimney though. But there were other shared items. Roofer was not amenable to beer tokens or otherwise....he quoted a price and wanted me to pay by CC. I told him to reinstate as per previous.

Noisy and disruptive, and more irritating - the roofer was the incredible whistling man......

Just don't complain about the rain of crap, depending on wind, that will inevitably come down on your side if the whole roof is coming off.

yes - we had this, what a mess - with the roofer chucking sh1t off of the roof and a mess in our front garden....luckily our neighbours love tidying and cleaning, so they did our garden as well. I've never seen a wheelie bin looking so polished...

I would have thought a decent neighbour would swallow the whole cost as the job is probably going to cause you some inconvenience but of course that takes no account of personal financial situations and current relationships.
I certainly wouldn’t expect to contribute much anyway.

Gosh no way , if its a shared chimney why should the neighbour bear all the cost ?? Crazy . You should defo contribute

I bought a new house once that had the flashing put the wrong way around so that water came down the chimney. I had to threaten legal action before it got sorted. I would never go cheap.

Gosh no way , if its a shared chimney why should the neighbour bear all the cost ?? Crazy . You should defo contribute
I see your point but from the OP it sounds as if this has rather been sprung on ‘caretaker‘ after the neighbour has made a decision to replace their roof (I could be wrong there, there’s not enough info), I would never do that without a prior discussion with a neighbour. Then if they want their roof done they should be prepared to cover all attendant costs, if ‘caretaker’ didn’t particularly want the flashing replaced then he is rather being forced into it and being expected to pay.
As I say there’s not enough info to give a fair response and my interpretation of the situation could well be wrong.
Re. any contribution, I think the cost of (half) the flashing would be pretty small in comparison to the total job so I wouldn’t expect to pay much of the total.

There are some weird people here. £100-150, just stump up, worth it just to keep the relationship.

Just make sure WHATEVER happens that they do it properly... The place I was renting in Reading back in 2002 had a roof replaced by friends of the landlord...

They botched the flashing and my ceiling partially caved in, and stuff in the roof was ruined...

Do the deeds say anything about who's responsible for joint ownership/shared property. We had a fence that was jointly owned/shared or whatever, the deeds dictated who was liable in a certain event. Find out then pay him if you have to.

advertisement

Back