advertisement

Flash news for David Slater... new Floyd box set

And which musical boundaries are being pushed exactly? It's just some rich old ****ers making a bit more money

well done Lordsummit, with cutting insight like this you really must offer your brain to Scotland Yard or the Security Services.

I've said this before but don't you buy loads of music by dead people?

Not the point IMO.

As I see it everyone who likes Pink Floyd will already own the albums they like – even I am complete up to and including Wish You Were Here and I don’t really care about the 70s stuff at all. I think it is safe to conclude that Mike Lacey, and it is he who this box set is aimed at, already has all it’s content at least once.

This item is selling itself entirely on it’s packaging. The only new ‘added value’ bit is a DVD of some elderly gentlemen reminiscing about the old days when they played in a rock band with the late great Syd Barrett. For this they want 145 quid. I also notice that it is a “limited edition”. It is “limited” to 10,000!!!, i.e. the number the marketing department expect to sell over the next few years. Let’s just say I don’t expect it to be a great investment punt!

They could have done something really good with it, but didn’t. As an example look how The Grateful Dead approached The Golden Road: wonderful fresh remasters, huge amounts of interesting unreleased material (many hours worth) etc. By comparison the Floyd box is cynical in the extreme IMHO. Simple cash harvesting that brings nothing new to the table.

Tony.

No Bob, I buy music that may or may not offer a different interpretation to something I've previously heard. How is the Wish you were here in that set different to the one I own?

I don't know which one you own.
Is it Pink Floyd, Think Floyd, Aussie Pink Floyd or any other interpretation?

Pink Floyd Bob. Why are the others better? Do the guitarists bring something new to the party, or copy the rather tedious Mr Gilmour?

Bit of a reaction amongst Floyd Nerds...

The Floyd Nerds make a very good point. It amazes me that they won't release the live and studio stuff from the Syd period and the following late 60s space-rock phase that we all know they're sitting on as we've heard the bootlegs. Even I'd stick my hand in my pocket for some of that.

Tony.

Well a little bit ranty but the guy has the point.

I do not know why people are still foaming about a new album, as its basically Dave with the recording studio and Dave with the, um, ideas, whats the best you can hope for? On an Island.

Dave is very pleased with this release. But its not very good. So that just leaves the hope that a new album could suggest a live show.

Its all cobblers. I love Frank Zappa a whole lot more and wish dearly that I could have seen him live, but in the end, better to have died at the top than fritter out slowly and painfully like the floyd in all the incarnations.

There you go, now I am ranting.

tony.

the only pink floyd i know is "DSOM" and "the wall," both of which are sh*t. you suggest there is 60s stuff worth listening to--what is it?

vuk.

advertisement

Back