advertisement

Fiat Panda, a lot better than I thought.

Rodrat

pfm Member
I run a gas guzzler and decided I should look at buying a small cheapish car for everyday use. I noticed that Fiat were doing a PCP deal on the 1.2 Pop model for £119 down and £119 a months on low rate interest. Basically the cost of four delivered Indian meals a month which I have to give up anyway due to my ticker.

On reading reviews, What Car were not very complimentary but decided to go and have a look and drive. We did buy a Fiat 500 a few years back for our girls to share and to be honest I was not impressed, poor steering feel, bouncy ride, poor rear access and offset pedals. I was therefore expecting an equally unimpressive experience from the Panda especially as it is much cheaper than the 500.

I tend to gauge cars on the basis of just how quickly I feel at home in The car followed by the usual considerations such as handling, performance and comfort. This is not just getting used to a car but a bit like when you are buying a house, it just feels right or not.

Well, given how basic the Panda is, it was a lovely thing to drive, comfortable, handles well, good visability, smooth gear change and it has quirky but charming looks. Performance is not stunning but it is only 69 bhp but does like to rev.

I have ordered one although gone for a higher spec to get more toys. Bright red as my girls hate red cars.

We're on our second. Brilliant car, apart from eejits who see you and assume it's easy to pull out in front.
It changes your driving style - anticipate and all is well in the world. I even tow a boat with ours

Had one for a week in Tuscany for a week last year, apart from the fact that you had to send it a postcard to give notice about acceleration before hills, it was great and good fun (especially at avoiding dive-bombing scooters in Florence)

Had an original Panda back in the early eighties. It was great apart from the fact the brakes did not work. Really, they didn't. Apart from that, it was good.

Recently used one on holiday in Italy, and it was perfect. Brakes actually worked, it started, stopped and went round bends. Also, it was a diesel and seemed to run on air.
Great car. And, no I don't have one.

My first car. Ugly as sin, and the seats could as well have been made of plywood. But so many memories! And, 360.000 Km without a glitch. Before it was sadly disposed of. I miss it!

(random pic off the internet)

fiatpanda198001.jpg

I bought a 4 year old Fiat Panda 1.2 Eco in May last year, it has been brilliant as much of my driving is short distance (4 miles) to work. It is quiet, reliable, reasonably well equipped - it has air con - and performance is fine both around town and on longer journeys.

Compared to my Saab 900 Cabriolet it is saving me a fortune. Road Tax is £30 pa (Saab £230), insurance £150 (Saab £230), fuel consumption 45 - 50 mpg (Saab 25 if I was lucky). I love mine but recommend buying used, they lose a lot through depreciation in their first year or two.

A few years ago I never thought I'd be writing such a post ��

Contrary to what you might think, it is possible to get a complete 500 series system in a Panda

Z0sN0d4g

It increased its resale value markedly :)

advertisement

Back