advertisement

Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A

Until this afternoon, I was running my Rogers BBC LS3/6 with a carefully set up Quad 303, pretty happy with this. I changed this for a 405-2 Quad, that is also in good condition. Noticed that the bass is very slightly firmer. Possibly to be expected because of the direct coupling of the 405-2. I don't think this change of amp would be so noticeable on the LS3/5a's as they are sealed cabinets, as opposed to the reflex LS3/6.

It'll be interesting to see what impact this speaker has on the vintage used market prices especially with that review.

It'll be interesting to see what impact this speaker has on the vintage used market prices especially with that review.

The vintage LS3/5a market is a different area in most respects.
I ( and others ) have bought or constructed Falcon LS3/5as for our own use.

The obsessive collectors are just that.
Collectors.
Someone out in the Far East has many LS3/5as set up on a shelf or table.
I saw an image of 16 pairs on the web.
32 speakers...

Get a life.

The vintage LS3/5a market is a different area in most respects.
I ( and others ) have bought or constructed Falcon LS3/5as for our own use.

The obsessive collectors are just that.
Collectors.
Someone out in the Far East has many LS3/5as set up on a shelf or table.
I saw an image of 16 pairs on the web.
32 speakers...

Get a life.

Yeah, you are spot on here... Funny world isn't it.

The way exchange rates against the pound and the economies in China and SE Asia have crashed in the last few months, I expect the vintage market to be very slow

Nice review, Falcon may have to step up production.

I hate CNET for their changing the very good and safe Download.com to use installers that often put unwanted stuff on ones PC.

I'm curious...what is the MS88? Mordaunt Short? Google wasn't my friend.

Apparently it's a lower cost version of the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2.

It is not on their website. I can't find it anywhere on the web, just some references to it in a forum.

I'm told it's the same as the Rogers Anniversary LS3/5a. Perhaps they put the time and money into creating that and now that Rogers isn't selling it anymore they can make back some of their investment by selling this 'MS88' model on the side?

I'm tempted to ask Doug Stirling about this but I really have no interest in getting a pair (I have a long collection of LS3/5a type speakers).

The MS88s have a Derek Hughes designed crossover.
This crossover was the original design for the Rogers 60th. Anniversary LS3/5a.

The final production version of 60th. Anniversary had a revised crossover supplied by Rogers Hong Kong.
They wanted a sound more like a vintage 15 ohm model.

Their crossover was based on DH's design, but with revised component values.

I have recently built a pair of LS3/5as, using ex. BBC 9mm thin wall cabinets with screw-on backs.
I sourced a pair of matched B110s and a pair of T27s.
I used, this time, the Falcon Acoustics 23aB crossovers.
Some NOS Rogers Components were sourced
and other parts from Falcon.
Sid Chaplin made me the grilles.

They are rather good.
Currently in use with an Akai Receiver for bedroom use.

Just got my Rosewood Falcons. Good God, they're amazing. Better midrange and soundstage than my P3ESR's. AMAZING midrange. Voices are uncanny.

These are going to be a big deal in Audio. I think the 'what's the best LS3/5a like speaker' debate has a new champion.

In the same sort of area of Falcon LS3/5as and P3-ESRs, I have just acquired ( from a PFM member ) a pair of mint, late production 11 ohm Rogers LS3/5as.
They are among the best LS3/5as I have ever heard.
They were directly compared with the Falcon LS3/5a Kit pair I built for a friend.
After listening to both pairs we couldn't make our minds up which we preferred.
Living with either pair would be a pleasure.

Like 'Jodet', I also own 'ESRs and they and the Rogers are both excellent speakers.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
I couldn't say one is 'better' than the other.
Both are superb.

The Harbeths P3-ESRs will take more power for 'rockier' type music.
( Not that I ever play rock music...)
Don't get me wrong, they are excellent loudspeakers and I would never let them go.

The LS3/5as excell on female voices and the like.
Listening to lots of Radio 4 and Radio 3 in a spare room using a stereo receiver,
they just work so well.

I am listening to a pair of vintage LS3/5a, All LS3/5a are all very similar. I have owned Rogers, Goodmans, Chartwell, Spendor, etc.

These little speakers really surprise me with their magic midrange. Living to simple music (not Pink Floyd I am afraid) with vocal, the sound is just beautiful.

Solid state amps don't give the best sound with LS3/5a. I am using Croft Micro 25 Basic pre amp and Series 7 power amp which I prefer to the Onix OA22 integrated amp I tried.

advertisement

Back