advertisement

Every Picture Tells A Story

MVV

pfm Member
Picked up this (on Mercury) in a charity shop out of curiosity and because I always enjoy Maggie May when it comes on the radio. The recording is really odd so much so that It is almost unlistenable. Everything is strangely separated making it a very distracting experience almost as if it is out of time. Anyhow back to the charity shop it is going. Anyone else got a view on it?

Great album, some excellent stuff on the second side especially mandolin wind, I'm losing you and reason to believe.

Never a dull moment is even better IMO and was released the following year.

Some of the Faces albums from around that time are also worth getting.

I'm sure the songs are strong. It's the recording I'm interested in. On my system it sounds genuinely weird.

I'm sure the songs are strong. It's the recording I'm interested in. On my system it sounds genuinely weird.

I had the original albums from when they were released (might still have them) and don't recall them sounding strange but I'll see if I still have them and give them a listen.

I always thought the recording was quite good.

I don't have the records now or at least I can't find them but I always thought that the recording was good too but I didn't have a decent record player back then, did anyone?

Was listening to this last night, sounds as it should - a little ramshackle, but then so does all the early Rod stuff.

Love a bit of early Rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
The piano is amazingly compressed, I mean really squashed to death, but otherwise it's a reasonable '70s recording of some great songs and performances. A classic.

The title song is a particular favorite.

Maybe I was in the wrong mood. I will try again. It is very clear and that but it just sounded like really crap band. I remember the drumming as dreadful.

Maybe I was in the wrong mood. I will try again. It is very clear and that but it just sounded like really crap band. I remember the drumming as dreadful.

Micky Waller and Kenney Jones were not dreadful drummers.

Why not? Thats a really old fashioned attitude. The manager in there is probably on about £20000 a year and they get reduced rates

The op paid a price and its a charity "shop" selling goods which are donated. The deal is that they are not shaking a tin but rely on goods kindly donated

You would not pick up total junk or walk into the shop just to put a pound in tin. Therefore why not get a voucher back or a refund.

If its worth driving back, its worth driving back. Thats not being a penny pinching ogre...... its about getting something you are happy enough with.

Im a bit fed up of this attitude that it would make people look bad

Every post tells a story.

Perhaps you need to check which charrie, just in case you like their advertising?

The album sounds fine to me on vinyl. Rod is one of the good ones.

Every post tells a story.

Perhaps you need to check which charrie, just in case you like their advertising?

The album sounds fine to me on vinyl. Rod is one of the good ones.

get lost fay spook you nasty piece of work.....every post a dig is it.....dont reply to me ever again you clown.... get it!

The fact that you will bring up another thread to have a totally unneccessary dig says it all.

Really hate this forum sometimes.... same names thread crapping and talking rubbish. I get the feeling a significant percentage of people on here are ignorant, badly educated or just plain nasty.

get lost fay spook you nasty piece of work.....every post a dig is it.....dont reply to me ever again you clown.... get it!

The fact that you will bring up another thread to have a totally unneccessary dig says it all.

Really hate this forum sometimes.... same names thread crapping and talking rubbish. I get the feeling a significant percentage of people on here are ignorant, badly educated or just plain nasty.

I'm ok. Don't worry.

If you buy a record from a charrie, you take your chance with it. It's not a record shop. It's not pretending to be anything but a charity shop. If the record you buy sounds a bit crap, that's what you get occasionally. I shouldn't think the OP was in there for reasons other than charity and an offchance to buy something.

For the couple of quid on a record that's a bit knackered, you take your chance. A bit rubbish but playable, I would put up. I might mention it to the shop but I'm sure they would say "sorry but yer pays yer money etc". I buy books from my local Charrie as it appears we have a local book reviewer. The shop is partially staffed by people helped by the charity.

Now I'm not happy to take money away from these people because I got some bad luck and neither was the OP. I also understand that you sometimes need a professional in the shop to run it properly. The larger charities all work like that.

I think you understand your view might be a little against the grain by using words such as ogre. My comments was a nice pun thus showing I'm not badly educated. No specifics were mentioned in the first sentence.

I don't know if you feel there's any irony in a post about the SQ of a great record, you comment on how much a charity shop manager might earn and not the sound but others are thread crapping?

It's still a good album and I would search out another copy, charity shop or not.

I have first pressings of EPTAS and NADM. Both sound great in terms of musical content and sound quality, so I can't understand why the OP's copy sounds so bad. I've played mine on everything from a Dansette to a Roksan Xerxes, and they've both worn well, to coin a phrase.

Maybe I was just in a bad mood. Anyhow when I'm home again I'm quite looking forward to listening to it again. Could just be too English for me.

As for it going back I simply meant I would give it back rather than bin it.

advertisement

Back