advertisement

Etymotic Research ER-4P Earphones too much for iPhone AAC 256k files?

Messing around on Amazon late Sunday had me deciding to go for the Etys ER-4P in the end. Hope they're a decent upgrade on my old ER-6is and really looking forward to hearing how 256 kbps rips sound off the iPhone 4 which according to the folks on HeadFi, is a pretty decent source but i won't be getting them till after Christmas now according to Amazon so i failed the Xmas present to myself task this year.

Damn! :-(
I hope you like the Etys as much as I like mine.
I once heard them described as the nearest thing to having music piped directly into your brain.

I have tried a few different high end in ear phones with various Apple "i" products. Unfortunately the limitation is iPod etc. not the phones, the sound quality available from these devices is not that good. IMHO it is not worth spending big money on phones for use with these devices.

I agree with other posts that if you do have Etys they do need to be pushed well inside the ear to get the best sound.

The Etys sound great.
Anybody who says they don't have bass isn't putting them in their ears properly.
I have two pieces of hi-fi kit that I would replace with the identical one in the hypothetical "if I lost/etc." them; the Etys are one.
Agreed. With any "canalphones" it is absolutely crucial that you use the right size seals so that you get an airtight fit in your ears. My ER6isolators came with "multiflange" seals that seem to be more of a universal fit.

I have tried a few different high end in ear phones with various Apple "i" products. Unfortunately the limitation is iPod etc. not the phones, the sound quality available from these devices is not that good. IMHO it is not worth spending big money on phones for use with these devices.

I agree with other posts that if you do have Etys they do need to be pushed well inside the ear to get the best sound.

I paid £110 for my ER6i's to get a better sound from the iPod i was using and felt i got good value out them over the time i've had them. The ER-4P have only cost me a few pounds more, so if they as good as folk claim them to be, i'll consider it money well spent.

I also need to track down some replacement filters for 6i's if possible, to see if that was cause if the problem i have with them.

@ ...Mark..., where did you buy the foam tips for your ER's as seen in your picture

Cheers,

Rack.

My phones have been delivered! With all the talk about mail order items being delayed due to the weather, the seasonal rush and Amazon themselves saying delivery wouldn't be until after the 30th Dec, i'd call that a result. Woop woop!

Looking forward to drowning out the noise of Christmas guests tomorrow, sorry, i mean having a good listen. Haha!

Happy Christmas to all...

Only just had chance to have a good listen to the new phones and have to say, i'm very impressed. No hint of brightness or lack of bass to these ears using an iPhone 4 with 256 kbps files ripped from CD in iTunes.

They sound so much fuller and sweeter esp at the top end, than the ER-6i's they've just replaced. I can't comment on the other models that were suggested having not heard them but if anyone's thinking of upgrading from ER-6is, then i can't see them not liking the ER-4P.

I know they're expensive (£144 inc P&P from Amazon) but i paid £110 for the ER-6is around 5 years ago and they're a big upgrade in sound for the money.

Highly recommended! :cool: :)

Only just had chance to have a good listen to the new phones and have to say, i'm very impressed. No hint of brightness or lack of bass to these ears using an iPhone 4 with 256 kbps files ripped from CD in iTunes.

They sound so much fuller and sweeter esp at the top end, than the ER-6i's they've just replaced. I can't comment on the other models that were suggested having not heard them but if anyone's thinking of upgrading from ER-6is, then i can't see them not liking the ER-4P.

I know they're expensive (£144 inc P&P from Amazon) but i paid £110 for the ER-6is around 5 years ago and they're a big upgrade in sound for the money.

Highly recommended! :cool: :)
Is it easy to get enough volume? I know the 4P is more efficient than the 4S but it is less efficient than the Er6isolator.

It's not just a matter of being able to play some music loud; it's also a matter of reducing the drain on the battery.

Since you're isolating out the surrounding noise, i've never had to have the volume much over half way on the iPod and now iPhone, with these types of earphones. No idea what device you're using but 2.5 hours use of the iPhone saw the battery only lose 3% of it's charge.

It's not something i'd worry about TBH.

Since you're isolating out the surrounding noise, i've never had to have the volume much over half way on the iPod and now iPhone, with these types of earphones. No idea what device you're using but 2.5 hours use of the iPhone saw the battery only lose 3% of it's charge.

It's not something i'd worry about TBH.
I use an iPhone with CX300s (my Etys have a bad connection somewhere). The iPod function doesn't use much battery compared with most other things, but the less, the better, that's all.

Can't help you with the connection issue but i've noticed the ER-4s seem better built at the point where the leads attach to the headphones. The 6i's always seemed pretty fragile in that area.

I've only had my iPhone a month but i know there are a few things that can help with battery life eg manual email pushing, wifi off, 1 min screen locking etc.

Cheers,

Rack.

Can't help you with the connection issue but i've noticed the ER-4s seem better built at the point where the leads attach to the headphones. The 6i's always seemed pretty fragile in that area.

I've only had my iPhone a month but i know there are a few things that can help with battery life eg manual email pushing, wifi off, 1 min screen locking etc.

Cheers,

Rack.
There seems to be a loose connection or dry solder joint in one side. It might be the connection to the cable itself. I suspect getting it fixed will cost a fair bit, so I just carry on using the CX300s.

BTW, who thinks that the current iPhone is a transition product and uglier than the previous one?
I reckon the next one will be slimmer, like the iPod Touch.

BTW, who thinks that the current iPhone is a transition product and uglier than the previous one?
I reckon the next one will be slimmer, like the iPod Touch.
I was disappointed by the look of the "4". It just seems too flat, angular and hard-edged. I was impressed by the screen quality though, which I thought wouldn't be apparent to my eyes. The slimness/volume is largely dictated by the battery, I think, and the iPhone needs more power than the touch.

(Sorry, I know this is OT.)

advertisement

Back