advertisement

Ergo IX PFM purchase

Ooh it needs loads of work, in fact it was a secret apart from the instructions for the frugal horn. Cat's out of the bag now! Better put it in maintaining mode. There is a big update coming but am just buying another audio business that will complement this one.

It was I who picked up the last-mentioned pair (burl walnut) and the finish is indeed stunning. Also nice to meet Stefan in person. Apart from a brief test run, I haven't got them in use yet - I'm planning to use them in my study/den, fairly near field and close to the wall. I've just sold up my business and retired, so spending more time at home anyway. Once sorted, I'll post some pics of them in situ and report back.

It was I who picked up the last-mentioned pair (burl walnut) and the finish is indeed stunning. Also nice to meet Stefan in person. Apart from a brief test run, I haven't got them in use yet - I'm planning to use them in my study/den, fairly near field and close to the wall. I've just sold up my business and retired, so spending more time at home anyway. Once sorted, I'll post some pics of them in situ and report back.

Glad you liked them Andrew, it was a pleasure to meet you. I hope your retirement treats you well and you get loads of time to listen to your new speakers.

These look awesome, I'd love to have a listen. My room is very small at 3.6 x 2.7 m so I imagine they would work very well. I currently have PMC OB1i which are way too big and I had to load wool into them to tame them.

Where are you based?

Would these work ok in a cinema setup? I currently run 2 systems with the same speakers and I do listen quite loud, obviously they would be crossed over at 80 - 100 Hz and my subs take care of the low end.

Thanks

Edit - My Google power tells me possibly Bishops Itchington, not far from me at all, in fact a few weeks ago I had dinner in Harbury. I'm in Nuneaton.

Hi Nick, Bishops Itchington indeed, good google power!! I grew up in Harbury, to posh for me now though, I'm just a hippie at heart :)

Yeah Nuneaton is not to far away, feel free to PM me or mail me on admin (at) KJFAUDIO (dot) co (dot ) UK and arrange to pop over to have a listen if you want to.

Stefan

Oh and yes, I use a pair form time to time and have my system hooked up to the telly box and they work great, you could use one as a center speakers as well, just the right sort of size. I only ever listen in stereo but i reckon they'd make quite good surrounds as well. They have quite an even dispersion characteristic through the crossover so would be well suited I think. They can go quite loud as well, in your size room, more than enough, especially if relieved of the bass. They are very convincing down to about 50-55hz and have very low group delay so you should use as much of the bass output as you can before crossing over and spoiling that tight sound you get from them. What subs have you got?

Thanks for the reply. I'd love to to have a listen to them.

I have a SVS 12" cylinder sub and a custom built sub using a Fi SP415 with a cerwin vega 2800w PA amp. I don't use these for music though as integration is hard and my PMC go down to the low 20s anyway, I wonder if I'd miss the low end too much moving away from these.

I doubt you'd miss the bass, they are especially good in the bass, maybe not so low ultimately but very good quality and very convincing.

I alternate between the E-IX and E-IIIR, which is a three way with a sealed 10" woofer. Except for the lower sensitivity of the E-IX, which dictates a reasonably healthy dose of power, I don't find the them lacking in the bass department compared to its bigger sibling. It's true that the E-IIIR go maybe half an octave lower, but it's worth bearing in mind LF gravitas is actually more about the mid-bass (50-100Hz). So unless you listen to lots of pipe organ music or synth bass, the E-IX will sound more than adequate with real music.

the lower note (E) on a 4-string bass guitar is 41 Hz... Bass guitar is superbly rendered by the E-IXs, you won't miss a note !
JC ( proud E-IXs owner, and modest bass player)

Piano lowest note is A0 - 27.5Hz.
I played piano for years in my spotty youth, even up to Grade 8. I don't think I ever came across a piece where I needed to play the lowest note. It's safe to say that note is not in the usual repertoire of piano music.

I have built quite a few of these speakers as those of you who have added to this thread know. They have all been bespoke builds but many people have asked me about making a flat pack kit available. It's actually quite difficult to realise as a kit that is as easy to put together as my own speakers but I've pressed my CAD Kung foo into service and have managed to come up with an easy to build self jigging cabinet. As promised to James when I made the initial run, sales will allow me to give a donation to Tony L here.

I've made lots of options so that a bespoke build is still possible, pop over and take a look at the kit page on the site.

http://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ergo-ix/

I have built quite a few of these speakers as those of you who have added to this thread know. They have all been bespoke builds but many people have asked me about making a flat pack kit available. It's actually quite difficult to realise as a kit that is as easy to put together as my own speakers but I've pressed my CAD Kung foo into service and have managed to come up with an easy to build self jigging cabinet. As promised to James when I made the initial run, sales will allow me to give a donation to Tony L here.

I've made lots of options so that a bespoke build is still possible, pop over and take a look at the kit page on the site.

http://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ergo-ix/
Fabulous. I'd buy and build a pair if I didn't already have the original.

Good luck with the promotion. I hope there will be loads more E-IX owners and fans. Thanks for making my design more accessible to the UK.

James, if you ever want a cabinet just drop me a line, I'll send you one!!

Yes I hope this does sell a few here and there, it would be great to keep the IX alive, they really are a a great speaker

advertisement

Back