advertisement

Emma mattress ?

iansr

pfm Member
I’m looking for a new mattress. The Emma mattress appears to have received the thumbs from Which. Anybody got one, if so what do you think of it?

Any other firm :) recommendations ?

Don't buy anything online.

Have a try, lie on them for 10 minutes and if you still feel well on it, buy it. Don't ask yourself whether it "would be good for you as a side sleeper", or whether it will sustain your lumber vertebrae properly. Just listen to your general feel.

Last mattress I bought was a tricky one. It felt wonderful in the shop, so I bought it, but after one week in use, my back hurt terribly after three hours already. I couldn't give the mattress back, it was on offer. I had no choice but to persevere with it, and after one more month, I got used to it. Meanwhile it is the best mattress I've ever had, I love going to bed every evening.

Basically you have two options: Buy one for normal price at the supermarket, sleep some time on it, throw it away and buy another one until you've found the right one. Or pay a hefty extra buck at a proper mattress shop and have it replaced until it's the right one.

Megabuck matresses over £5000 are usually a rip-off. There is a lot of snake oil around, mattresses are no magic. You get told they will solve all your sleep problems, this is just not true. In many ways, the business reminds me the one for slimmng preparations or hair restorers.

We have an Emma mattress and are very pleased with it. Probably best suited to side sleepers though. We have the most expensive version. Doesn’t get hot which was one of our concerns. It comes as fairly firn as standard but they will supply a medium topper FOC if needed. You can return it for I think up to 200 days, maybe less so no risk if you don't like it. However you really need to use it for 4-6 weeks before making up your mind as we found out.

We bought a new mattress recently as moved to a larger bed frame.

Had one of the Eve mattresses for a year or two after a pocket sprung that had lasted a good 15 years (& still in the spare room).

Decided we preferred a traditional pocket sprung, looked at John Lewis but prices and reviews put us off. Then made a trip to Dreams and found a couple of mattresses very comfortable. Was all set to pull the trigger using their Black Friday discounts and then decided I wasn't a fan of their designs - many pocket sprung mattresses from such stores feel great as they have top layers of gel/foam/whatever. However as integral to the mattress, the mattress can't be turned over, and if the top layer fails eventually, it's stuck within your mattress.

In the end we decided to keep things simple and separate, went for a pocket sprung from John Ryan Designs (Origin 1500) and a separate mattress topper, all under a mattress protector. Early days (literally 4 nights!) but fine so far.

I'd definitely look for a firm that offers a swap after 40/45/60 days and read the review experiences of customers who used that. Hoping ours is OK, but I certainly checked return experiences online.

Rob

I don't have any personal experience of recent mattresses, but I see the Silentnight Just Bliss mattress came in at number 19 of the Which Top 50 products of 2022. It's the only mattress to appear in that list.

Have a try, lie on them for 10 minutes and if you still feel well on it, buy it. Don't ask yourself whether it "would be good for you as a side sleeper", or whether it will sustain your lumber vertebrae properly. Just listen to your general feel.

Last mattress I bought was a tricky one. It felt wonderful in the shop, so I bought it, but after one week in use, my back hurt terribly after three hours already. I couldn't give the mattress back, it was on offer. I had no choice but to persevere with it, and after one more month, I got used to it. Meanwhile it is the best mattress I've ever had, I love going to bed every evening.

Basically you have two options: Buy one for normal price at the supermarket, sleep some time on it, throw it away and buy another one until you've found the right one. Or pay a hefty extra buck at a proper mattress shop and have it replaced until it's the right one.

Megabuck matresses over £5000 are usually a rip-off. There is a lot of snake oil around, mattresses are no magic. You get told they will solve all your sleep problems, this is just not true. In many ways, the business reminds me the one for slimmng preparations or hair restorers.

Bad advice imo.

Always buy everything online, especially a mattress as your consumer protection in the UK is infinitely better for distance purchases.

Most online mattress sellers have long 'try before you commit' warranties, this is the best way forward. You can literally try out all of the brands with no real risk.

I didn't like the Emma mattress, and returned it within three months, and got a refund, no quibble.

I then purchased a Brook and Wilde Ultima and have been in heavenly comfort ever since! they even swapped the Soft one i ordered to a Medium one after three months for no charge. I found the BW Ultima in Medium to be the perfect blend of support for both side sleeping and back sleeping.

Well the free return on the Emma means there’s nothing to lose by trying one so here goes . . . .

How do you get it back in the box ?:cool:

I'm sure you're aware of these things but just in case.

1. Will Emma deliver your mattress to the bedroom, or will they leave it on the ground floor? Will they unpack it and dispose of the packaging? Will they install it on the bed base? Will they fit the headboard? What sort of time slots will they give you for delivery?
2. Will Emma take away and dispose of the old mattress?
3. If you want to return it, what sort of condition must it be in? Maybe it will be best to sleep with lots of protective covering on the mattress until you're sure, and take photos etc.
4. If you want to return it, will Emma collect it? Will they take it from the bedroom or will they insist that it's on the ground floor? What sort of time slots will they give you for collection? How will they want it to be packaged for return?

I bought online - most manufacturers offer a free return after a year if you don't get on with it. As you say, a mattress might feel wonderful in the shop, but a five minute evaluation is utterly inadequate. We bought a Dreamcloud hybrid mattress which is aptly named, lifetime guarantee, super comfortable. £800 with a free bedding set right now, bargain. 365 day trial, too.

How do you get it back in the box ?:cool:

They just collect them fully inflated. The van that comes basically collects mattresses from all the brands...they said Simba was the most returned one when they collected my Emma one. Their van must of had 20 mattresses in the back of them, all just thrown in , on the floor, no coverings etc.

I did have a concern over where they go after they are returned...Brook and Wilde say they donate them or they are recycled, how much truth there is in that, I don't know. Cant imagine many homeless shelters wanted a Super King size mattress.

https://brookandwilde.com/mattresse...-WHDauP2Fkzk1gs3hXc0xfZF2Fmn3xyBoCNKsQAvD_BwE

https://brookandwilde.com/200-night-comfort-trial/

55% off right now and 200 night trial

Hence why you just don't buy a mattress in store anymore. You get to fully test these ones for months rather than five minutes on your back feeling like a pleb in a store.
Not a company I've ever heard of, and when I was last in the market I did quite a bit of online research. No "About us" in the website to say how long they've been in existence.
Above all I would never trust a company whose website doesn't give the address and phone number.

Cant imagine many homeless shelters wanted a Super King size mattress.
I don’t know how many homeless shelters you have in the UK (well I presume the figure is increasing…) but when you look at the number of mattresses returned, fitting all homeless beds with five-star class mattresses would not take long.

A few months ago I heard on the radio that used mattresses, even when almost brand new, were usually recycled the most cost-effective way, ie thrown away.

As they say that a mistress is sth between master and mattress, I can't imagine the confusion if the latter takes on a female name; coil spring adultery, perhaps? Memory foam would be very tricky; it'd (she'd) never let you forget it.

Someone's comment triggered a memory for me...

Check the small print on mattress returns. All will require you to have used a mattress protector with the mattress. Some require you to have used/bought theirs...

Not a company I've ever heard of, and when I was last in the market I did quite a bit of online research. No "About us" in the website to say how long they've been in existence.
Above all I would never trust a company whose website doesn't give the address and phone number.

They have both an address and a phone number.
Address: 5 St John's Ln, London EC1M 4BH, Phone: 0808 169 9070

As I said above, my current mattress came from them and is the best one I've had, and they did a free swap for me for a slightly firmer one. This was two years ago now and it's still as good as the day it came. The white glove delivery service on the Ultima and above range is exceptional. Foot protectors on to the room of my choice, 50kg up 6 flights of stairs, removed , laid on bed, packaging removed etc...the return service wasnt as good, no foot protectors and no white gloves but they still took it down and battled with it round narrow victorian staircase.

Great company to deal with , my brother has since bought one of their cheaper Elite mattresses and is equally happy. They've certainly won a few few awards.

I don’t know how many homeless shelters you have in the UK (well I presume the figure is increasing…) but when you look at the number of mattresses returned, fitting all homeless beds with five-star class mattresses would not take long.

A few months ago I heard on the radio that used mattresses, even when almost brand new, were usually recycled the most cost-effective way, ie thrown away.

Yeah exactly, I think it's all BS sadly. I didn't even think about it until I saw the back of the collections van and my heart sank somewhat..

Reinforcing my belief that returns are critical... I slept on the new mattress and found it super comfy/great sleep for four nights. Nights five and six I've had badly disrupted sleep and mid/upper back pain.

I suspect the mattress isn't firm enough and it's 'settled' enough over the first week to reveal that.

Going to try a switch back to old mattress (spare room) and then back to new, to see whether the symptoms replicate....

advertisement

Back