advertisement

ebay import warning

Bought an item (not hifi related) from a seller on ebay about a month ago. The seller stated it would take a little time to arrive (from inside the UK) and I didn't worry that it hadn't arrived on time. Then I needed the product, and tried to contact the seller. Ebay said he was no longer trading. I checked my bank account and there was no refund. I contacted ebay, explained all, and they refunded almost immediately. Still none the wiser.

It’s not all Brexit. The Single Market can be pretty patchy too.

I have a house in Italy, formerly owned by a German with German plumbing and ironmongery. I have given up buying replacement parts from Germany or France with any hope of (I) seeing the product at all - many German companies simply won’t sell outside their borders - or (II) getting it in a hurry or intact. I now generally make an overnighter of it and pop up to Rheinfelden or Freiburg to get the stuff.

I once flew to Gothenburg and back on the same day to pick up a bit of (admittedly small and not overly heavy) Meridian kit on the basis that a day off and £35 plus a coach fare to the airport was cheaper than the post, packing and insurance, let alone customs and VAT charges.

advertisement

Back