advertisement

Eating habits in the UK

That's interesting. 11% on food strikes me as quite low, I certainly spend more than that. but I do love to eat.

Due to some 'weight' issues, about 18 months ago i had reduced my weight by 9st.

So I'm very conscious to what i now eat given that 300 calories is about a 5km run now, i want to be sure those 300 calories are worth while eating.

So, white bread is a no, Liver i've always loved, Pizza can live without, Tea - drink loads (without milk) and probably Earl Grey, and when i eat chips they are made from sweat potato. :D

White bread consumption down >50%

Liver down 94%

Pizza (yeuch) average purchase from 2g per week in 1975 to 53g in 2014.

Tea down 50%

And the consumption of effing chips was three times higher in 2014 than in 1974.

Some 24% of a typical pay packet went on food in 1974 compared with 11% today.

I do occasionally buy bits and pieces from Waitrose,
On one outing a lady was staring at the contents of my trolley. I had put 2 large desserts (for a party) on top of other groceries and me being a fat b'stard obviously attracted her attention.
I took great pleasure in loading up with any shite item close by. I almost expected her to say to her child, if you eat that you will look like him.
Love it.

Bloss

The problem with this line of thought is that you're not really putting yourself in the position of someone who is in a state of poverty. In effect you're simply imagining yourself with (a lot) less money. the problem is that these people don't just lack money. They often lack social capital, confidence, intelligence, skills, competencies... you name it. I recently had the occasion to visit someone on a sink estate and see for myself how they lived. The inside of their house was almost unspeakably bleak and the sight (and smell) of it has haunted me for weeks. I read your advice - which I don't doubt for a minute is well meaning - and ask myself how the person I met could possibly implement it. How do you even begin to dig yourself out of such a hole? Another factor, which I believe has been well documented, is that long term poverty is knackering and undermines self-confidence - you're so busy trying to balance competing financial demands on your inadequate budget that the stress takes its toll and you simply give in.

As I say, this is not a personal attack. But I think it's important to realise that someone in long-term poverty is very different to you on a reduced income. Arguments about how we treat the poor and disadvantaged founder because they don't take this into account.

Spot on.

advertisement

Back