advertisement

DSLR newbie - RAW files and photo editing advice wanted!

Taff63

pfm Member
I wonder if you can shed a bit of light on using and processing RAW files. I’ve recently purchased a Nikon DSLR and, from what I gather, RAW files represent the best quality image possible in this format. Do these files require any special programs on my laptop as opposed to the jpegs produced by my compact Canon?

I am also interested in using photo editing software and, being decidedly cash-strapped after my recent purchase, GIMP seems to be the obvious choice. Can GIMP handle RAW files or do I need to download additional software? Any help much appreciated as although I have plenty of experience with film cameras, this DSLR lark is completely new to me!

On a less serious note it was great using the camera at the weekend – really motivated again to take better pictures………………and funny how you notice the flaws……lens is a bit soft unless stopped down etc etc.

Yes - Gimp will handle RAW files. You'll need the UFRAW converter as well, but it's all free. It's pretty good software with plenty of functionality, although a bit clunky compared with Photoshop Elements which you now buy for under £50.

Rich

Taff

Firstly

Shooting RAW Does not improve image quality per se. It does give you access to readjust stuff like Colour Temperature which would be hard to do elsewhere.

You can convert Nikon Raw files to jpeg in a lot of types of software. Adobe Photoshop elements APE is one option and if the RAW format is very new then Adobe offer a free ACR converter to DNG to allow you to post process in APE. You can get APE free on any number of weekly mags free CDs and the RAW to DNG converter is on the Adobe site as a download.

Best bet though is to get a copy of Nikon Capture NX 2 as it adds some Nikon specific stuff to the mix and is relatively cheap compared to photoshop CS5 etc

As Cliff said, RAW doesn't immediately give you better quality.
It's just the full data off of the sensor rather than a compressed jpeg.
It requires more user input on your computer to get the finished image but it isn't necessarily hard work.
The big advantage for me is that you can tweak a less than perfect image (in terms of exposure, white balance, shadow detail, fill light etc) and still get an acceptable end result.

Shooting in RAW is always the best option, because it stops the camera processing the image into jpeg using its own settings. Once it's processed there is no going back.

RAW will not 'fix' a bad image, but it does leave it completely untouched and correcting exposure, colour balance etc is much better done in RAW as you are working with files that have had no post-processing at all.

However, programs for working with RAW images are often no better than the in-camera software, so you may not achieve that much. Photoshop is extremely good, but very expensive and not user-friendly. You'll also need to check which version is necessary to support your camera, as many earlier ones do not support the latest cameras. You could look at Phase One. It's not the cheapest software, but is extremely good.

If you bought the camera new, or it is registered, Nikon will provide software for RAW conversion that is extremely good.

You may find it helpful to get the camera to store Jpeg files as well as Raw files until you have got to grips with the Raw process. It also will help you to understand the additional adjustment you can get by working with a Raw file.

A pity you are not using a Mac as it has a very good editing and raw processing application called Aperture which is less than £50.

Thanks chaps. I loaded Nikon NX-2 last night and it seems pretty good so far - at least I can get the RAW files onto the laptop! I've downloaded GIMP to see what it's like and am perusing the manual........................it's quite big.............

advertisement

Back