advertisement

Drawing the Line

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
I came back to my system(s) after 5 weeks away and I really enjoy it/them. It's all plenty good enough to enjoy music, something I've done with a degree of passion since the age of 9. Nearly all my boxes are in the £1-2k range (second hand at least), and I've decided that's good enough. I know I started a Genelec thread but I've decided that moving to the next level, boxes in the £5k range, is overindulgent and slightly pointless for my enjoyment and world view.

I'll visit GT to get the Leak un-ground-looped, and if the s/h market picks up I'll sell a few things, but that's it. Sorry, it's a pointless thread, just getting that off my chest.

slightly pointless for my enjoyment, general wellbeing

God tell me about it. I was perfectly happy with everything I had before I bought the Cheviots.

I’ve now convinced myself that the Lindemann kit I use is totally unsuitable for them, and as a result I must sacrifice sleep to eternally scour every hifi classified listing in the known universe for the perfect Tannoy amp.

In truth, the Lindemann sounds amazing with them. And I’m an idiot.

God tell me about it. I was perfectly happy with everything I had before I bought the Cheviots.

I’ve now convinced myself that the Lindemann kit I use is totally unsuitable for them, and as a result I must sacrifice sleep to eternally scour every hifi classified listing in the known universe for the perfect Tannoy amp.

In truth, the Lindemann sounds amazing with them. And I’m an idiot.
Cheviots..? Pah, ditch then, buy my bespoke Balmorals and then look for the perfect Tannoy amp.
Job done, and that's coming from me,the world's expert on such things.

I think £2K used is a very sensible single component limit. The key is to get good components which originally cost a great deal more, sold well and have been properly serviced if required.

The only thing I ever spent more on than that was a Tag Mclaren DVD32R which turned out to be an unreliable and massively depreciating item.

A key thing is to buy brands that are well supported by the manufacturers and third parties.

Apart from PC's and DACs most of my kit is now over 20 years old and some is over 40 and this is becoming a bit of a concern.

I don't think I'd find any satisfaction in the current market if I shifted to boxes costing £5K used. In fact I'm not at all sure the supply of such boxes is particularly large, and of what there is, far too much of it emanates from niche manufacturers, many of which I've never heard of, let alone auditioned and may be difficult to service or move on going forward.

My view is that the only way forward form my current system is to buy new pro audio equipment, which seems to offer extremely good performance and have features beyond anything available at sensible prices from the Hi Fi industry. What I don't know (yet) is how far up the range I need to go. Is it a pair of 8030's with a 7050 or 7060 or do I need the next range up with room correction or the top range with concentric drivers?

I think I'm at least reasonably likely to end up with a better system and actually have change out of the resale value of my current kit!

I strongly suspect I personally drew and hit the line in the early 00's, since when high end HiFi prices have been on an ever increasing upward spiral relative to anything else.

A lot of things I bought at that time were actually nearly new when I bought them.

I came back to my system(s) after 5 weeks away and I really enjoy it/them. It's all plenty good enough to enjoy music, something I've done with a degree of passion since the age of 9. Nearly all my boxes are in the £1-2k range (second hand at least), and I've decided that's good enough. I know I started a Genelec thread but I've decided that moving to the next level, boxes in the £5k range, is overindulgent and slightly pointless for my enjoyment and world view.

I'll visit GT to get the Leak un-ground-looped, and if the s/h market picks up I'll sell a few things, but that's it. Sorry, it's a pointless thread, just getting that off my chest.
I am with you here. Having stuck with the same kit for several years and loving the sound, I decided that enjoying the music is what matters and thankfully my kit is up to that task and by a distance.

It has all to do with curiosity, temptation and finances.
Indeed, and it’s a reason I started the thread. I have the finances for a change but would really rather spend them elsewhere than on my perennial weakness.

And as others have said in other threads, a really good way to appreciate what you have is to listen to it again after a substantial break.

Yes, I left for a few years, didn’t change a thing, but I like it here (my only forum). So the challenge is to stay and not change a thing.

Be good to hear from other line drawers, especially if it was drawn by choice before spending serious money.

I like the reflection. I think enthusiasm can push one, even when there are doubts. It’s good to resist and reflect a while.

I have some money coming from my late father but it’s going to other things that aren’t hifi. I like small vfm changes that I cant return if they don’t do what I want. A nice way of stretching the hobby.

I hear you Alex. A very sensible decision, and I hope you can stick to it. I'd like to think I'm in much the same situation, but I know what I'm like.....

For me, small Genelec actives are the key: with a decent sub, I'd have to spend many multiples to improve on them and such a speaker would be big, expensive and - if passive - I'd need to invest a shit load into another great amp to drive them.

I'd like to retire. Continually sinking my cash into hifi pushes that retirement goal back a little each time. My Genelecs, Rega and Eversolo A8 are more than good enough for me. I just need to avoid temptation...

advertisement

Back