advertisement

Downsampler

eisenach

pfm Member
Does any one know of a cheap device that can downsample 192kHz to 44.1? The coaxial digital out on the Primare mm30 board handily outputs everything digitally but only at 192kHz which is of no use to my CD recorder. I can use the preamp analogue outputs but it's a faff because they're already connected elsewhere. My inexpert googling skills only seem to show up pages for software conversion.
Thanks for reading.

You’re probably in the pro audio arean here. A sample rate converter is what’s needed. I think Sonifex do one but it’s not cheap. Maybe Behringer has something? SRC something or other from memory!

Is there any special reason you want to use a CD recorder? Why not burn the CDs straight from a computer?

I'm also interested in downsampling, in this case a couple of albums that were downloaded (so no CD to re-rip).

Is there not some PC software that will do this, or is the process so complex that it needs a 3 grand machine to do it ?

I'm also interested in downsampling, in this case a couple of albums that were downloaded (so no CD to re-rip).

Is there not some PC software that will do this, or is the process so complex that it needs a 3 grand machine to do it ?
Yes something like dbPoweramp has a conversion capability, the OP's problem is getting his file onto a PC, if your's is already there then life's a lot easier...

Does any one know of a cheap device that can downsample 192kHz to 44.1? The coaxial digital out on the Primare mm30 board handily outputs everything digitally but only at 192kHz which is of no use to my CD recorder. I can use the preamp analogue outputs but it's a faff because they're already connected elsewhere. My inexpert googling skills only seem to show up pages for software conversion.
Thanks for reading.
A bit of a long shot, but have you tried recording the stream, I've a feeling my old Pioneer would automatically downsample to 16/44.1...

Yes something like dbPoweramp has a conversion capability, the OP's problem is getting his file onto a PC, if your's is already there then life's a lot easier...

I use Dbpoweramp a lot, and I can find how to change from one format to another (e.g. FLAC to WAV) but I can't see any way to change the sample rate ?

I use Dbpoweramp a lot, and I can find how to change from one format to another (e.g. FLAC to WAV) but I can't see any way to change the sample rate ?
When you select the convert option you have the chance to add a DSP process, there's a one called 'resample', and another called 'bit depth' if you want to change that too...

Is there any special reason you want to use a CD recorder? Why not burn the CDs straight from a computer?

Thanks for the replies.
It's not CDs. Anything that passes through the preamp/streaming/Nas/internet radio board is available at 192kHz from the digital output. It would be really handy to be able to record it old-style onto something other than a cassette ! I can use the analogue outputs and analogue inputs on the CD recorder, but it seems a bit of detour. (As far as computers are concerned, my skill levels equate to Windows 97.)

Audacity is pretty good for stuff like that (and free). It uses the same resampling engine as SoX (that is pretty much the standard others are measured against).

Don't forget that because this is an uneven sample rate conversion then some maths will be used to make up the differences i.e. the file will be changed vs. a normal 44.1khz file. This might be audible, or maybe not...

Don't forget that because this is an uneven sample rate conversion then some maths will be used to make up the differences i.e. the file will be changed vs. a normal 44.1khz file. This might be audible, or maybe not...

"Some math" will be applied in any case. If you use a decent sample rate converter program and it won't be an issue. If you want to check them out, there is a great sample rate converter comparison site at http://src.infinitewave.ca/

advertisement

Back